Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SureGrip Hand Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To anyone who can give me a straightforward answer…

Background - I purchased a 2023 Tesla Model Y in June 2023. Because of my two prosthetic legs, i purchased the SureGrip “Left Side FL2 - Right side FL6” to be installed by a professional technician. The company that installed the SureGrip specifically stated the hand controls would work with the Tesla Model Y.
Since purchasing the Tesla Model Y, I received an error message stating “reduced speed… yellow turtle. exit and re-enter the vehicle” three times.
Side background info - when driving back from Ohio, I pebble cracked the windshield. When i took it over to safelife, they couldn’t diagnostic because the Tesla was missing a part. I ended up purchasing the part and then they were able to diagnose the car. I still have the part but didn’t include it with my Tesla appointment.
Current situation - I scheduled an appointment with Tesla. They took the vehicle but… told me because of the “after market” items that they cannot diagnose whether it is Tesla or the hand controls. I am questioning whether or not the technician actually did research and tried?
Question - what would you do with the above scenario. Would you remove the hand controls, get it diagnosed with Tesla, and then reinstall the hand controls? Would you accept the car back knowing the problem wasn’t resolved? Or would you talk with Tesla technician showing them the missing part to run diagnostic?

Not that I am the most technical person here (by a very longshot) but I dont quite understand:

When i took it over to safelife, they couldn’t diagnostic because the Tesla was missing a part. I ended up purchasing the part and then they were able to diagnose the car. I still have the part but didn’t include it with my Tesla appointment.

Safelite replaces windshields. I am not sure what kind of "diagnostic" they would be performing.

They took the vehicle but… told me because of the “after market” items that they cannot diagnose whether it is Tesla or the hand controls. I am questioning whether or not the technician actually did research and tried?

They (Tesla) probably didnt actually do anything. With aftermarket items tied into the controls, they likely dont "have" to. Its not like you installed "convenience" items though, so if I were in your situation, I would likely go down to the Tesla Service center, in person, and talk to the Actual service manager (not "A" manager" but one of the actual Managers).

I would be non confrontational, but inform them that you understand the hand controls are not their item, but you need guidance on whether they are actually involved in the issue or not, and ask if there are any codes / troubleshooting they can do to determine that.

If you are non confrontational, given your situation, they may choose to investigate further even with the aftermarket hand controls there.

I dont know about missing parts for diagnostics that you are mentioning, but that sounds like a question for the hand control installation company / professional, unless you yourself removed some relevant part.

Not that I am the most technical person here (by a very longshot) but I dont quite understand:

Safelite replaces windshields. I am not sure what kind of "diagnostic" they would be performing.

They (Tesla) probably didnt actually do anything. With aftermarket items tied into the controls, they likely dont "have" to. Its not like you installed "convenience" items though, so if I were in your situation, I would likely go down to the Tesla Service center, in person, and talk to the Actual service manager (not "A" manager" but one of the actual Managers).

I would be non confrontational, but inform them that you understand the hand controls are not their item, but you need guidance on whether they are actually involved in the issue or not, and ask if there are any codes / troubleshooting they can do to determine that.

If you are non confrontational, given your situation, they may choose to investigate further even with the aftermarket hand controls there.

I dont know about missing parts for diagnostics that you are mentioning, but that sounds like a question for the hand control installation company / professional, unless you yourself removed some relevant part.
Thank you for your insight.
Safelite needed to recalibrate the Tesla because of the windshield. They needed to run additional diagnostic which the hand control people installed the controls but did not install the part where they needed to plug in.
And yes, i will do what you recommend. Chat with the Tesla people about the Tesla and bring the parts the safelite people needed to use. I greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Thank you for your insight.
Safelite needed to recalibrate the Tesla because of the windshield. They needed to run additional diagnostic which the hand control people installed the controls but did not install the part where they needed to plug in.
And yes, i will do what you recommend. Chat with the Tesla people about the Tesla and bring the parts the safelite people needed to use. I greatly appreciate it.

I will try to send positive vibes your way in hopes you get a favorable outcome. I am sure anyone in your situation has dealt with enough "stuff" to have lots of patience and perseverance, however I am hoping you dont end up having to exercise both of those too much to get a resolution.

Reactions: Redekw