Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck! The online, brick-and-mortor, custumer service, and accounting parts of Walmart don't seem to communicate all that well.

Let us know about any rubbing with the 295/40s. With your thumbs up, I'm in. The main plusses of the 40-series seem to be sidewall, ride, and stance, not to mention all-weather capability.

Reactions: Canyonero
Are you sure? Based on what? Judging from the photos I’ve seen of people running the 285/40/21 it looks like there’s enough room left. But that’s why I ordered the 35s as a back up.
I have 255/45r20 and they are 29” wide. There’s about half an inch of clearance when wheels are turned 100%.

The size you mentioned would have a diameter of 30.3”. They may fit straight on but the fronts would rub when turned.

I have 255/45r20 and they are 29” wide. There’s about half an inch of clearance when wheels are turned 100%.

The size you mentioned would have a diameter of 30.3”. They may fit straight on but the fronts would rub when turned.
We're talking about 265/40r21 fronts (29.3" diameter) and 295/40 on the rear. Shouldn't be a problem based on clearance from 285/40s

I've been thinking about 295/40ZR21 for the rears. They're available. But maybe rubbing under load? I hesitate to be the first!

Let us know your experience with the 295/35 Michelins.

About Walmart, for me so far, 3 customer service calls and 3 store visits. All four tires are still there. They refunded for the wrong rears, and I'm waiting on refund for the fronts, which were not discounted. If they insist I take them, I'll get the rears, size TBD, at Discount Tire. If they do refund for the (correct) fronts, I'll buy all four at Discount, hopefully with a price break of some kind, along with mount & balance. Walmarts around here can't mount anything over 20".
Several on here are running 295/35s in the rear so I’m not worried a bit about those. We’re all anxiously waiting to hear how @Canyonero does with the 295/40 rears, but I’m optimistic they’re going to work just fine.

Sorry to hear my Walmart experience wasn’t unique. I kept the full-priced “correct” fronts from Walmart and just got the rears from Discount Tire. It’s sounding very likely my MYP will come with AS4s in Jan (🤞🏻), I’m planning to just sit on these until it’s time to replace the OEM set.

Would you say there's at least an inch clearance between the wheel/tire and the knuckle? I'm trying to see if a 10.5" wide wheel wit +40 offset will clear. The new front wheel spec is 12.7mm closer to the arm compared to the MYP stock front wheel.

pxl_20210108_162906052-jpg.625652

Would you say there's at least an inch clearance between the wheel/tire and the knuckle? I'm trying to see if a 10.5" wide wheel wit +40 offset will clear. The new front wheel spec is 12.7mm closer to the arm compared to the MYP stock front wheel.

pxl_20210108_162906052-jpg.625652
gonna be tight... take a look at the first page, I did a few measurements there with a 3/4" block and measuring tape. Diagonally it may clear, but would be by the skin of the teeth. I would say this one would most likely need to be measured by fitting an actual rim tire combo on it. Good luck and please post some pics if it works for you...

Just had my new tires put on MYP.

265/40R21
295/35R21

Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus

40 PSI

Love it!

Def takes harshness out. Even sounds better IMO.

Now to sell the P-Zeros!
View attachment 745740

Looks nice. If you have time, could you take a pic from the back and front showing the width of the tire and how close it is to being matched with the outside of the wheel well? Also, is there a reason you didn't go with a 275 in the front?

gonna be tight... take a look at the first page, I did a few measurements there with a 3/4" block and measuring tape. Diagonally it may clear, but would be by the skin of the teeth. I would say this one would most likely need to be measured by fitting an actual rim tire combo on it. Good luck and please post some pics if it works for you...
Oh I was referring to the distance between the arm and the lip of the wheel. See picture.
Is it at least 1 inch?
Untitled-1.jpg