Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Old Induction Wheels for new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at upgrading my 2020 Model Y w/ 20" inductions for a 2023 Model Y, and doing the FSD Transfer.

One thing that surprised me was Carvana is offering me more $$ if I spec the sale to them with 19" wheels. Plus, I'd save $2k if I went with the 19" on the new car.

My 20" inductions are in perfect conditions. Could I just buy the car with 19", and swap them with my old car? I have approx 10k miles left on the tires.

Is there anything I will need to have checked out? I don't believe it will affect alignment, but will they need to be balanced or anything else?

Carvana might be offering you more now, but just remember that those offers are often only good for like 1 week. If you order one and it takes a month to get to you, that offer will definitely change and the 19" might now be worth less than the 20" wheel version. If you want to ensure that the offer stays that way, you might want to see if there is an inventory car available right now.

Another thing to remember is that you will need to keep your current Y until you take delivery of your new Y if you plan on doing the FSD transfer. Your current Y has to be in your Tesla account until you take delivery. The way I got around that was to sell my car to one of those third parties and set up the drop off for a Thursday very late afternoon and then my new Y pickup for first thing Friday. That way I got the money for my old car wired to me on Thursday and took the car off my Tesla account after I accepted delivery and made it the FSD transferred properly. Make sure to ask about how fast they can wire you the money after they take possession of your car before deciding who to sell it to.

If you want the 20 inch rims on your new model Y, and can wait til delivery before selling the old one, you should get the 19 inch rims and save 2K irrespective of what carvana says.

Yes I’m buying from inventory so can get the new car instantly.

I need to replace my old tires so technically I’ll just save $1k

But didn’t know if there was something else I was missing - like alignment, balancing, etc

But didn’t know if there was something else I was missing - like alignment, balancing, etc
Nope. As I've mentioned in other threads and you'll find similar responses if you look elsewhere, you don't need to do an alignment on a car unless its old or there's an issue (like you smacked a curb really hard and it's making noise).

An old car with worn suspension might be out of alignment. Similarly, other issues can push things out of alignment.

The reason you do the alignment is so you don't unnecessarily wear down the new tire badly.

Tires should already be balanced when installed on the wheel, so there's nothing for you to do.

There isn't much else since you're sticking to the same car make and model that hasn't been redesigned.

FYI, when you switch car makes/model or its been redesigned, then you need to make sure it fits (lug pattern/size and wheel/tire within wheel well).

Nope. As I've mentioned in other threads and you'll find similar responses if you look elsewhere, you don't need to do an alignment on a car unless its old or there's an issue (like you smacked a curb really hard and it's making noise).

An old car with worn suspension might be out of alignment. Similarly, other issues can push things out of alignment.

The reason you do the alignment is so you don't unnecessarily wear down the new tire badly.

Tires should already be balanced when installed on the wheel, so there's nothing for you to do.

There isn't much else since you're sticking to the same car make and model that hasn't been redesigned.

FYI, when you switch car makes/model or its been redesigned, then you need to make sure it fits (lug pattern/size and wheel/tire within wheel well).
You'll also want to change your tire configuration from the service menu it'll be set to the 19 inch tires from the factory.

I'm looking at upgrading my 2020 Model Y w/ 20" inductions for a 2023 Model Y, and doing the FSD Transfer.

One thing that surprised me was Carvana is offering me more $$ if I spec the sale to them with 19" wheels. Plus, I'd save $2k if I went with the 19" on the new car.

My 20" inductions are in perfect conditions. Could I just buy the car with 19", and swap them with my old car? I have approx 10k miles left on the tires.

Is there anything I will need to have checked out? I don't believe it will affect alignment, but will they need to be balanced or anything else?

Just curious, what was your mileage and what did Carvana offer you? I have a 2020 MYP and have been considering upgrading to a 2023 Long Range, but Carvana only offered me $33.5k for my 2020 MYP with 42k miles

Carvana might be offering you more now, but just remember that those offers are often only good for like 1 week. If you order one and it takes a month to get to you, that offer will definitely change and the 19" might now be worth less than the 20" wheel version. If you want to ensure that the offer stays that way, you might want to see if there is an inventory car available right now.

You can generally extend an offer for one extra week, but none more. Gives you more time to torture yourself. But agree if you want a good deal go inventory, there are a lot of them outthere and it changes nearly day by day.

Your range display and calculations might be off. Not that it’s accurate anyway but 20” wheels have a lower range (318 vs 330 per Tesla configuration page).
I suppose.

Personally, even though I look at the daily ”efficiency,” I stopped bothering with total range.

I typically drive about 50 miles a day. So short of a road trip, total range isn’t an issue.

That being said, even the daily efficiency isn’t really that much of a concern or anything, just curiosity. My driving habits affect the efficiency far more than the wheel size. It was enough that I any difference between my stock Uberturbines and my aftermarket 19“ wheels couldn’t be determined. I mean, I’m averaging 250 wh/m (or less) the last few days, back on Uberturbines. It was 350+ when I first got the car. And it was about middle of those two when I was using the 19” wheels.

So, going back to total range, that 12, or 27 mile EPA range difference is less of a concern since my driving habit has a bigger impact.

I suppose.

Personally, even though I look at the daily ”efficiency,” I stopped bothering with total range.

I typically drive about 50 miles a day. So short of a road trip, total range isn’t an issue.

That being said, even the daily efficiency isn’t really that much of a concern or anything, just curiosity. My driving habits affect the efficiency far more than the wheel size. It was enough that I any difference between my stock Uberturbines and my aftermarket 19“ wheels couldn’t be determined. I mean, I’m averaging 250 wh/m (or less) the last few days, back on Uberturbines. It was 350+ when I first got the car. And it was about middle of those two when I was using the 19” wheels.

So, going back to total range, that 12, or 27 mile EPA range difference is less of a concern since my driving habit has a bigger impact.
Are you really averaging 250 on uberturbines? If the computer reporting that is using a different coefficient, it won't report the correct data. You don't seem to care but once you throw away the correct settings, you can no longer say any data being reported by the car is correct. The only way you can comment on wh/mile is by using the odometer and a way to measure the power going into your car when you charge. Or a third party monitoring app.

I'm kinda glad I went with the 19" Geminis. Better ride, a bit more range and a lot cheaper tires in the future. I'm happy with my hubcaps.

The word "for" should be swapped with "to" in the title. Makes it seem like OP happened upon a crazy deal. :)