Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from 18" Aeros to 19" Sports Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have P3D- with 18" aeros (technically I dont have the car as Tesla service is fixing delivery related issues for past 2 weeks).

I am thinking of purchasing the 19" inch sports wheels from Tesla as I dont like the aeros even with cover off and I want to upgrade the stock tires with summer tires. The wheels are $300 apiece not including the center piece ($15 each), tpms ($70 each), etc. Few questions for the experts out there:

1. The 19" should fit P3D- (no PUP upgrade) right?
2. In addition to the wheel and the black center cap do I need to purchase tpms, lug nuts, etc or can i use the ones on my aeros? I dont know if the color of the lug nuts on aeros vs 19" is different.
3. What would be the best performance tire to purchase? Michelin PS4? Not going on track but i do like to make hard turns on street :)
4. Is there any benefit in getting slightly wider tire for example instead of 235 40 19, I could buy 245 40 19 (surprisingly cheaper than 235). Does that help with handling and would the tire fit fine on the tesla 19" wheels?

Hi,

I have P3D- with 18" aeros (technically I dont have the car as Tesla service is fixing delivery related issues for past 2 weeks).

I am thinking of purchasing the 19" inch sports wheels from Tesla as I dont like the aeros even with cover off and I want to upgrade the stock tires with summer tires. The wheels are $300 apiece not including the center piece ($15 each), tpms ($70 each), etc. Few questions for the experts out there:

1. The 19" should fit P3D- (no PUP upgrade) right?
2. In addition to the wheel and the black center cap do I need to purchase tpms, lug nuts, etc or can i use the ones on my aeros? I dont know if the color of the lug nuts on aeros vs 19" is different.
3. What would be the best performance tire to purchase? Michelin PS4? Not going on track but i do like to make hard turns on street :)
4. Is there any benefit in getting slightly wider tire for example instead of 235 40 19, I could buy 245 40 19 (surprisingly cheaper than 235). Does that help with handling and would the tire fit fine on the tesla 19" wheels?

1. I've have not heard of fitment issues with the 19" tires on the P3D-. AFAIK P3D- is simply an uncorked AWD, which can fit the 19".
  2. If you're buying this, its a straight swap and includes all pieces.
  3. The PS4 is among the top, but what is top is subjective. If not #1, then among top 3 or whatever. Pirelli P zeros and others are good contenders.
  4. Elon has stated wider tires can improve performance slightly, but 235 was a good mix between efficiency (range) and performance. Look like Daerik's videos as he has staggered setup on his P3D+ with multiple 0-60 runs.

1. I've have not heard of fitment issues with the 19" tires on the P3D-. AFAIK P3D- is simply an uncorked AWD, which can fit the 19".
  2. If you're buying this, its a straight swap and includes all pieces.
  3. The PS4 is among the top, but what is top is subjective. If not #1, then among top 3 or whatever. Pirelli P zeros and others are good contenders.
  4. Elon has stated wider tires can improve performance slightly, but 235 was a good mix between efficiency (range) and performance. Look like Daerik's videos as he has staggered setup on his P3D+ with multiple 0-60 runs.
Assuming he wants a snow tire.

Assuming he wants a snow tire.
I dont want snow. I am looking for summer. $3500 is a lot.
If you simply buy wheel and center cap, it is 315 per wheel from Tesla or 1260+taxes. PS4 tires with install are about 1100 so with taxes everything comes to ~2500. If I cant use my aero tpms, lug nuts, etc. then the cost goes up a bit more. Trying to understand if the aero lug nuts are same color as 19" lug nuts or not.

I dont want snow. I am looking for summer. $3500 is a lot.
If you simply buy wheel and center cap, it is 315 per wheel from Tesla or 1260+taxes. PS4 tires with install are about 1100 so with taxes everything comes to ~2500. If I cant use my aero tpms, lug nuts, etc. then the cost goes up a bit more. Trying to understand if the aero lug nuts are same color as 19" lug nuts or not.

I know. He provided a link to a Tesla snow tire package for you.

By the way. I was planning on doing the same as you. Before I got the P3D-. I’m glad I waited. The Aeros are growing on. Me great range, and I think they handle fine.

I will wait a few days after i get my car back to see if I can grow into the aeros. I got the MSM and was struggling a bit with the look of the aeros w/o caps on it vs the MSM (or any other color) with 19" or 20" that I have seen on the road. The current tires seem to handle well but if I get 19" wheels, might as well the better performance tires. In las vegas, so i think summer tires can be used year round.

Someone here on this forum went with the 245 ps4 on the 19” and they really liked it, I did the same on a previous car (went from 235/45/18 to 245 and the car did handle a lot better, it was a front heavy fwd car and the extras load rating of the tires made a difference as well

I will wait a few days after i get my car back to see if I can grow into the aeros. I got the MSM and was struggling a bit with the look of the aeros w/o caps on it vs the MSM (or any other color) with 19" or 20" that I have seen on the road. The current tires seem to handle well but if I get 19" wheels, might as well the better performance tires. In las vegas, so i think summer tires can be used year round.

I have MSM as well. I thought it would be the worst combination. I think of it as color coordinated :). The shiny grey on the wheel covers perfectly matched the MSM. It’s fun having the car be a “sleeper”. I bought the cap kit and received it just today. But I have no interest in putting them on.

My bad on the snow tire set.

MSM looks great with the Aero tires with and without the covers.

Saw this one at Costa Mesa on the day of my pickup and it looked great.
20180928_143228.jpg

Ok were there any complications in switching? Did you use tpms and lug nuts from 18" or bought new ones?

I had Tesla do the swap for me so they reprogrammed the cars to know their TPM sensors had been changed. Not sure about lug nuts though while I was trying to watch them I couldn't see everything

About 1/2 mile down the road the car basically prompted 'hey you have 19" rims now, ok?' and i tapped ok and nothing special since

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad