Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System restart while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me too while driving. Once system rebooted while driving, got stuck, screen looked funky and rebooted again. Car was on autopilot doing its thing. I wonder if perhaps HW2.5 reaching 85% is just too much and is a cause of this as more items Tesla has to do? I’ll wait until I take my care in for service. This is not normal...

This has happened to us a bunch of times. It seems to do it more often when it's cold.

I've discussed with service. They indicate it's a known issue and it will get better with software revs.

It's annoying, but not a big deal as it doesn't impact driving.

I had it happen for the first time this afternoon with 2019.8.5.

Driving normally, listening to TuneIn, when the audio played distortion for a second and then the audio and screen died. The screen stayed black for at least a minute and I was about to force a restart when it came back, without booting to a Tesla logo first.

I've had the screen look like it was in the matrix requiring reboot, auto reboots while driving, screen black and requiring manual reboot while driving, reboots ever time you enter the car, etc. Service said these are normal for a Tesla at times. Not quite sure I like being on the cutting edge of auto tech sometimes. Perhaps should have planned it for a spare car and not a daily driver. Especially when my non-tech wife drives the car and wonders why we paid 60k for software bugs taking out the 1 and only display during active driving... I can tolerate it, but I don't like her struggling with it.

My midrange M3's screen crashes at least every other day. I took it to my local Service Center and was told its just a bug with the current firmware and all we can do is wait for the fix. They recommend resetting the car before I start diving until the new firmware is released. The car has 2500 miles on it and I had it delivered on February.

While I was out of the country for a week, the MCU crashed in the middle and won't come back; my app won't connect. I was wondering what happened - was it stolen, 12v battery dead (S was fully charged but not plugged in) ?? When I returned home, I have to reboot to make it live again.

This happened to me today while I was stopped at a red light. I was forwarding through songs on the streaming radio and noticed the album picture of the song wasn’t displaying properly. The screen started to flicker, bugged out, froze, and then went completely black. I was fairly panicked until it restarted since I wasn’t sure if the car would remain drivable. Thankfully, the screen rebooted and everything went back to normal.