Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Systems powering up and 12V reduced - P3D towed to SC..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

keith819

2022 Model X LR
Apr 19, 2019
Yardley, PA
I searched all over TMC for an issue just like mine and didn’t quite see it.. Have a 2019 P3D and took delivery in April. It’s already spent a good deal of time at the SC...

Drove a bunch yesterday for work, Supercharged at Burlington NJ and went home and relaxed for a few hours before heading out for dinner. Got into the car in my garage and was presented with a message that said “Please wait vehicle systems are powering up”. Thought this was odd as I’ve only ever seen this message maybe come up in a loaner Model S for just a couple seconds. 10 minutes later with no A/C working, the car refusing to charge, and 3 hard reboots I start panicking and call Roadside Assistance. They have me go inside for 15 minutes away from the car to let it sleep and come back out and try it again. I do exactly as directed and I come outside to the same message AND a new message saying “12V Power reduced vehicle may shut down unexpectedly.” So I call back roadside and they immediately -without asking anymore questions or troubleshooting- send out a tow. We were able to get it into tow mode pretty easily. Most of the 12V errors I’ve seen on the forum explicitly say it needs service. I haven’t seen anyone with a 12V Power reduced error.

My car is now sitting at the SC parking lot and the tow company actually parked it in a spot with a charger and plugged it in. I woke up to see that it actually charged over night! I’m wondering what changed that the car started allowing a charge...

Anyone have any experience with this one?

A75E6B72-F9CD-4C04-A788-77D8003CAAE9.jpeg
B07F0139-5BCB-432F-9BA2-F50EA2A00686.jpeg

Might be a power conversion system issue. I read some reports of a lot of issues with March 2019 built units (not sure if vehicle date specifically or if date of PCS itself, which might carry over into April delivery depending on the lead times, shipping time of the vehicle to reach you, etc).

Reactions: keith819
Having a similar issue and trying to get as much info as possible from other people. I was able to find a thread titled "12V Power Reduced, Vehicle May shut down unexpectedly" on the official Tesla forum but for some reason I'm no longer able to comment on there, there seen to be server issues going on. The service center is closed today and tomorrow due to the holidays. After calling roadside assistance and having the tow truck person come by and give it a shot without any luck, I had to leave the car and wait to try again tomorrow when I have the physical key card on me since I didn't have it today and it was recommended that I give that a try. I'm hoping that the car gets fixed soon because this is my only car. Mine is always parked inside a garage and I have it connected to the 14-50 adapter even when its not charging because I was told that this could help avoid issues with the 12V battery but seems like it didn't work for me. Any info on what ended up happening to your car or the cause of this?

Could be a 12V battery failure.
You're probably right. I've been reading as much as I can and was wondering if maybe somehow my seat covers (dog owner) didn't cause the 12 volt connector (red cap) under the passenger side, rear seat to get unplugged. Even though this seems like a bit of a stretch I'll try and have a look tomorrow while I wait until the service center opens and I have it towed there.

I don't think so. I have unplugged that connector before and you need a socket wrench to do it.

You're probably right. I've been reading as much as I can and was wondering if maybe somehow my seat covers (dog owner) didn't cause the 12 volt connector (red cap) under the passenger side, rear seat to get unplugged. Even though this seems like a bit of a stretch I'll try and have a look tomorrow while I wait until the service center opens and I have it towed there.

Reactions: beto83
I had a similar issue on my Performance Stealth. Tesla wanted to tow it in. I could not believe something this serious could go so sour so quick. Unplugged TeslaCam. Did power down and power up. Never had another issue. I had read some threads with different symptoms like autopilot not working but I thought I’d give it shot.

I also had a radar detector tapped off the rear amp. I removed that too but later put it back with no issue.

Also if you have a CANBus monitor running remove that too.

Quickshifter- well looks like I’m locked out so won’t be able to check but this does seem to suggest that it’s not the 12v being unplugged.

mswlogo- Interesting. I also have a model 3 stealth. I’m not sure if we have the same issue though because my car was plugged in to the mobile connector throughout the day and I only drove it for about an hour prior to this happening. Did you end up plugging the cam back in since this issue? Also what is a CANBus monitor? I use the Stats app but that’s it.

It’ll be interesting to know what is ultimately the cause once I get it towed to the Tesla service center and looked into tomorrow. I figure there’s no sense in having it towed to Tesla today. Forgot mention but yesterday after the tow truck driver tried to jump it I got a message saying “Please wait while vehicle systems power up.” With a green triangle next to it. Thought it was going to work after this but no luck.

Quickshifter- well looks like I’m locked out so won’t be able to check but this does seem to suggest that it’s not the 12v being unplugged.

mswlogo- Interesting. I also have a model 3 stealth. I’m not sure if we have the same issue though because my car was plugged in to the mobile connector throughout the day and I only drove it for about an hour prior to this happening. Did you end up plugging the cam back in since this issue? Also what is a CANBus monitor? I use the Stats app but that’s it.

It’ll be interesting to know what is ultimately the cause once I get it towed to the Tesla service center and looked into tomorrow. I figure there’s no sense in having it towed to Tesla today. Forgot mention but yesterday after the tow truck driver tried to jump it I got a message saying “Please wait while vehicle systems power up.” With a green triangle next to it. Thought it was going to work after this but no luck.

Mine was in my garage and may or may not have been plugged in. In fact I recall it would not charge or aborted a charge on the mobile connector to start this off. I thought perhaps it was the AC charger in the car went bad. I rebooted and the errors were gone. Plugged in and errors again. Rebooted again. Then as soon as I entered the route to SC it spewed out errors. It got mad when it started to warm the battery due to routing to a supercharger.

I forget exact order of things. I did get to super charger. With errors saying it could shutdown. I forget when I pulled TeslaCam and did shutdown. Before or after supercharge.

In the end it was never a problem and I never put TeslaCam back in.

I’ve seen needs new main battery, new 12v battery, ac charger, drive motor posted on the forum with similar error messages.

My hunch is the weak TeslaCam fat32 drive gets corrupt and starts bogging down one or more of the computers so that the rest of the car is not managed correctly.

I still use the same USB drive on Model X. Every time I view videos I reformat it.

Mine was in my garage and may or may not have been plugged in. In fact I recall it would not charge or aborted a charge on the mobile connector to start this off. I thought perhaps it was the AC charger in the car went bad. I rebooted and the errors were gone. Plugged in and errors again. Rebooted again. Then as soon as I entered the route to SC it spewed out errors. It got mad when it started to warm the battery due to routing to a supercharger.

I forget exact order of things. I did get to super charger. With errors saying it could shutdown. I forget when I pulled TeslaCam and did shutdown. Before or after supercharge.

In the end it was never a problem and I never put TeslaCam back in.

I’ve seen needs new main battery, new 12v battery, ac charger, drive motor posted on the forum with similar error messages.

My hunch is the weak TeslaCam fat32 drive gets corrupt and starts bogging down one or more of the computers so that the rest of the car is not managed correctly.

I still use the same USB drive on Model X. Every time I view videos I reformat it.
Well that’s not good. I like having sentry but If it causes problems I may have to wait. Let’s see what Tesla says when they have a look at it.

Well that’s not good. I like having sentry but If it causes problems I may have to wait. Let’s see what Tesla says when they have a look at it.

I don’t trust Tesla. They wanted to tow mine in. Your problem may have nothing to do with TeslaCam. And who knows mine might not have been either.

Here is sample of the issues. Not your problem or mine but you can see symptoms are all over the place. I didn’t even have Sentry mode on. Just TeslaCam.

Cruise Control/Autopilot not working and lines not showing up | Tesla

Wondering if anyone ever got any info on this issue? My girlfriend got the 12v power reduced message last night when she was leaving work, followed by another message saying to wait while vehicle systems power up. After roughly 25 mins the vehicle did eventually power up and she was able to drive it home without any issues. I also took it out for another spin after she arrived home to see if I noticed anything weird with it, but everything seemed to be fine.

The car is a September 2019 stealth performance M3 with only 2.5k miles on it.

There was nothing abnormal about her commute. Charged to 80% overnight, drive 50 miles to work, car sat for 11hours, attempt to drive home. Just like she has been doing since I got the car in early November.

I scheduled a service appointment to have it checked and will continue to monitor the car until it goes in (earliest appointment was the 28th....). I have checked a few other threads mentioning the 12v error but this is the only thread where someone also mentioned the vehicle system powering up message as well. Any info you guys have is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• A30F91F7-35F0-4718-AD45-9BDC0DB2C655.jpeg
    A30F91F7-35F0-4718-AD45-9BDC0DB2C655.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 96
  • BF7B9139-CC3D-411A-ABB1-51C4374964D9.jpeg
    BF7B9139-CC3D-411A-ABB1-51C4374964D9.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 92
Wondering if anyone ever got any info on this issue? My girlfriend got the 12v power reduced message last night when she was leaving work, followed by another message saying to wait while vehicle systems power up. After roughly 25 mins the vehicle did eventually power up and she was able to drive it home without any issues. I also took it out for another spin after she arrived home to see if I noticed anything weird with it, but everything seemed to be fine.

The car is a September 2019 stealth performance M3 with only 2.5k miles on it.

There was nothing abnormal about her commute. Charged to 80% overnight, drive 50 miles to work, car sat for 11hours, attempt to drive home. Just like she has been doing since I got the car in early November.

I scheduled a service appointment to have it checked and will continue to monitor the car until it goes in (earliest appointment was the 28th....). I have checked a few other threads mentioning the 12v error but this is the only thread where someone also mentioned the vehicle system powering up message as well. Any info you guys have is appreciated, thanks!

I haven't seen that message anywhere else either. Just got another error this morning (12V battery requires service. Replace 12V battery soon). I too have a model 3 performance stealth with very similar driving stats (I drive about 30 miles a day) and have it plugged in as well. My car had the rear motor and pyrofuse replaced and returned to me on 1/3/2020 and the message I had in December was the "12V power reduced vehicle may shut down". I think its good that you're taking your car in because I've read that some people with the "12V power reduced vehicle may shut down" have been left stranded on the side of the road.

They've had my car for 2 days. Just got a text saying they need a few more days to continue to look into the issue. No description or further explanation was given.

My guess is that if it were simply a bad 12v battery that it would be been pretty quick and easy to diagnose. Starting to get the feeling that there is a much larger issue.