Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

In a topic like this where that info is probably buried 5 pages deep, tom @ eas should probably state that in his post. I've been following this thread extensively and even I forgot about those adapters and they worked for limited years.

Just sayin'.
This isn't a normal stocking item, so don't have much info that what has already been posted in this thread. You'll need to confirm with teslogic directly beforehand if unsure about compatibility.

Just throwing this out there. Is there a possible wiring hack to have the red tail lights have the C light act like the middle red light? So the C light will stay on when the headlights are on, but will also light brighter with brake and/or turn signal(mimicking the behavior of the red brake/turn signal)?

Just throwing this out there. Is there a possible wiring hack to have the red tail lights have the C light act like the middle red light? So the C light will stay on when the headlights are on, but will also light brighter with brake and/or turn signal(mimicking the behavior of the red brake/turn signal)?
Dude, you're getting way more complex than it should be.

In theory you can repin the car side connector so the turn signal wire connects to the brake lamp pin on the tail light. Then tape off the brake lamp wire on the car side harness so it’s not connected to anything.

So y

So you want it to act like the Model Y lights (Global) but with the older Model 3 lights.
Yea pretty much.
In theory you can repin the car side connector so the turn signal wire connects to the brake lamp pin on the tail light. Then tape off the brake lamp wire on the car side harness so it’s not connected to anything.
So haven’t two live wires going into the same pin on the tail light and slap a relay in between it? And the car side connector as in the side marker on the front fender?

Yea pretty much.

So haven’t two live wires going into the same pin on the tail light and slap a relay in between it? And the car side connector as in the side marker on the front fender?
No. The car side plug at the tail light will have 4 wires. Brake (not used on Model 3), turn (used for both brake and turn), parking lamp, and ground.

You will need to de-pin the brake light wire from the connector and tape it off. Then you need to de-pin the turn signal wire and move it to where the brake light wire was. Then plug into the Model Y tail lights. That should light up the red C for both brake and turn.

No. The car side plug at the tail light will have 4 wires. Brake (not used on Model 3), turn (used for both brake and turn), parking lamp, and ground.

You will need to de-pin the brake light wire from the connector and tape it off. Then you need to de-pin the turn signal wire and move it to where the brake light wire was. Then plug into the Model Y tail lights. That should light up the red C for both brake and turn.
Ah makes sense. Thanks e90alex!

Question - I read somewhere that the 2023 Model 3 Performance has the amber turn signals in the US but the RWD does not. Has anyone else heard this? Or if you have one, can you confirm? If this is the case, would it be a simple swap of the tail light units? Thank you.

FWIW, I read all 20 pages and am just a little confused about a few things. So much going on with Certain Years, Inner lights not matching outers, Global version vs USA Model Y ambers. Versions of the adapter making some years/model hyperflash but only with the lights on or maybe not at all or only the left side. :)

1. I cannot find Teslogic. The only website that comes up is something about a Mobile Dashboard. I did not see any products related to Tailight adapters.
2. I have a 2018 LR/AWD. The best I can come up with is I need just the model Y amber version outers and these elusive adapters (If I can ever find any).

Does #2 sound like the way to go for my 18?

Thanks!

(moderator note)

This thread was originally about members working on a self retrofit. Then, someone joined TMC specifically to start trying to sell adapters (without being an active member prior to this, and without being a vendor).

I dont want to lock the thread, but also need to enforce that in general, engaging in this type of thing here on TMC generally requires being a vendor, unless there is no profit involved, or someone publishing their work and telling people exactly how to do it themselves if they want, and the sales are more a convenience thing.

I would suggest all talk of amazon / ebay / etsy sales of adapters stop, unless the person doing that either wants to become a vendor (in that case they can contact the TMC admins to look into becoming a vendor), or publishing their work on the adapter so people can build one themselves if they want.

I am saying this publicly in the interest of explanation, in case action needs to be taken.

(moderator note)

This is one more warning that anything that looks like vendor activity (without being a vendor) is likely to both bring bans and / or get this thread locked. This will be the last warning I make in this thread without taking some form of action.

Since its been a while since I posted this and I have not (yet) locked this thread, I am re surfacing this. This is also why you should not be seeing any "adapter" links or talk here in this thread, nor any "PM so and so for details" when "so and so" is not a vendor.

(and no, Im obviously not talking about Tom of EAS talking about tail lights).

FWIW, I read all 20 pages and am just a little confused about a few things. So much going on with Certain Years, Inner lights not matching outers, Global version vs USA Model Y ambers. Versions of the adapter making some years/model hyperflash but only with the lights on or maybe not at all or only the left side. :)

1. I cannot find Teslogic. The only website that comes up is something about a Mobile Dashboard. I did not see any products related to Tailight adapters.
2. I have a 2018 LR/AWD. The best I can come up with is I need just the model Y amber version outers and these elusive adapters (If I can ever find any).

Does #2 sound like the way to go for my 18?

Thanks!

Yes an adapter is best for '17-'20. Check with EAS, they are a forum vendor and had some Teslogic adapters available.