Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland bottom tail lights (when trunk open)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some concerns and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this. I was behind a Hyundai SUV (IIRC) and it has a similar design: trunk being open removed all the main tail lights, but had bottom taillight strip for brakes and turn signals. Even on that SUV, the lights were too low to be easily seen. They were also too dim, and the blinkers and brake lights were both red which further causes confusion. I didn't like it. Yes, I know it'll be a rare occurrence, but I don't think it's irrelevant.

Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?

What is your question exactly?

Extremely rare that they will be the primary brake/signal lights. How many people regularly drive around in sedans with their trunk open? Even when they do, we’re talking a short trip from Lowe’s back to home.

This doesn’t register in the top 100 for me in terms of safety concerns with respect to driving a vehicle on public roads.

What is your question exactly?
Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?

I admitted it was rare. I also tried to explain how it is a potential safety concern. I asked for general thoughts. Maybe Tesla implemented it better than Hyundai in a way I haven't seen. Maybe other people have seen it and it wasn't a problem. Maybe I just saw a fluke of an issue. I don't know. I've not seen the highland.

But if not being able to see brake lights and turn signals on a public road isn't even a top 100 safety concern to you, I guess that's fine. I think it's fairly important. I almost got into one accident at freeway speeds because I could not see brake lights and turn signals because of this setup.