Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

Can anyone who has retrofitted “global” (amber turn) lights tell me if the in car 3D visualisation shows the C-style brake light properly, and amber turn signals separately etc?

I’ve had my rear lights coded to “global” (they were “EU_CN” previously) but the car visualisation still shows the old brake light style. I should add that I actually haven’t fitted global rear lights yet, I’m waiting for them to arrive, but I would’ve assumed the config change would show the new C-style brake lights visualisation regardless?

Even cars from the factory with the new tail lights don’t show them in the visualization. The visualization is all the “old” style Model 3 lights with a red turn signal, even in countries with set rear turn signal.
The visualization also lacks the third brake lamp, which would make it easier to notice whether the brake lamps are on (e.g. while using regenerative braking).

Reactions: Durzel
Even cars from the factory with the new tail lights don’t show them in the visualization. The visualization is all the “old” style Model 3 lights with a red turn signal, even in countries with set rear turn signal.
Thanks, that’s exactly how mine is behaving.

I have seen the third rear brake light on it though, in contrast to what @3sr+buyer said there. I’ll try and get a photo.

Where can I change the config to global for the taillights via toolbox? Rear fog same?
Having amber and brake issues after installing aftermarket tails (oems had condensation).
Don’t like the idea of someone remoting into my computer/car to change config. Plus, for 3-400$ it’s ridiculous.
Have a local shop with toolbox access who is willing to help me. SC is not helpful as expected.
Teslogic said their adapter doesn’t work on 21 though I saw a poster comment it worked on their 22…

This problem needs to be fixed for so many. Seeing videos of this problem for cars with red non-amber tails for years.

Where can I change the config to global for the taillights via toolbox? Rear fog same?
Having amber and brake issues after installing aftermarket tails (oems had condensation).
Don’t like the idea of someone remoting into my computer/car to change config. Plus, for 3-400$ it’s ridiculous.
Have a local shop with toolbox access who is willing to help me. SC is not helpful as expected.
Teslogic said their adapter doesn’t work on 21 though I saw a poster comment it worked on their 22…

This problem needs to be fixed for so many. Seeing videos of this problem for cars with red non-amber tails for years.
Public Toolbox 3 doesn’t have access to change the value(s) needed, so unfortunately someone remoting in to your car (or doing it in person if you find someone) is the price of entry.

I saw quotes of $300-500, if you find someone who will do it cheaper let us all know ☺️

22 year cars should use a RJ45 (network cable) I think to connect to the car.

Public Toolbox 3 doesn’t have access to change the value(s) needed, so unfortunately someone remoting in to your car (or doing it in person if you find someone) is the price of entry.

I saw quotes of $300-500, if you find someone who will do it cheaper let us all know ☺️

22 year cars should use a RJ45 (network cable) I think to connect to the car.
It would at least be nice to know what software is used.

Nobody knows? Or they aren't saying it here at least...

must likely is a tesla API specially since they can do it remotely. Some people have that access. it will last until someone leak it or something. it is a matter of time. Use to have an audi and it have this propietary sw with a special cable to configure them. eventually they put that on an android app thru obdii. I have seen this weird diagnostic cable for tesla popping up on ebay. I imagine there is some sw to use it.

Sorry for the delay replying. Here’s what mine looks like when braking. I haven’t actually changed the lights yet, but as far as the coding is concerned it’s “global”

View attachment 1026360
Hope you haven’t been driving like that since you have no brake lights if the setting is global but the taillights are original

ETA: assuming this is a US car

Last edited:
Where are you guys finding someone who will do the config? I don’t care if it’s $400. I need some stuff on my plaid changed. Anybody out there willing to do the config? My car has the RJ-45 connector.

Doesn’t work, 21 model 3P. Neither on old taillight no -C/amber style or aftermarket with amber (EVOffer)
It won't work on any inner taillight that isn't global. Those are 4 pin inners and will require a new trunk harness as well. If your car came with global outer and inner taillights (2023+), you can activate rear fog via gateway config or S3XY buttons and they will work.

It won't work on any inner taillight that isn't global. Those are 4 pin inners and will require a new trunk harness as well. If your car came with global outer and inner taillights (2023+), you can activate rear fog via gateway config or S3XY buttons and they will work.
It's a bit of a pain, but you can add the two extra wires to the trunk harness. That's what I did.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Oh nice. You document this anywhere? I assume you just bought a bit of wire and some pins and repinned the connector?
I didn't really document the process, but it's really just fishing the wire through the trunk harness, putting the wires into the appropriate slots there, and replacing the lamp end connectors with the 4-pin variant and adding the extra pins there. I did manage to do it without actually removing the harness from the car, but in hindsight it would have been easier to remove it and add the wiring.

I did document the appropriate part numbers here: Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
EV offer aftermarket taillight phantom style came with 3 & 4 pin adapter built in. Still doesn’t work and still dealing with amber and brake turning on the same time.

Only non-config gateway solution is running a wire from the side indicators to the trunk which I’m doing to do this weekend
I didn't really document the process, but it's really just fishing the wire through the trunk harness, putting the wires into the appropriate slots there, and replacing the lamp end connectors with the 4-pin variant and adding the extra pins there. I did manage to do it without actually removing the harness from the car, but in hindsight it would have been easier to remove it and add the wiring.

I did document the appropriate part numbers here: Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal