Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2024 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that this is all in the Tesla app after placing the order (I placed my order on January 5th). I had not previously made any elections on the incentives tab. When I looked at it early this morning, it looked like it had always had. When I looked again at 9:00 EST, the incentives tab was completely different.
Did you have to pay the $250 non-refundable order fee before you saw this option? I’m still not seeing anything other than asking for $250. I’m doing a cash purchase with trade in if it makes a difference.

Did you have to pay the $250 non-refundable order fee before you saw this option? I’m still not seeing anything other than asking for $250. I’m doing a cash purchase with trade in if it makes a difference.
Yes, I paid the $250 when I placed the order. I also did a cash purchase and am contemplating doing a trade-in. Once you place the order, you will be directed to the Tesla app where you will have a series of tasks to complete: providing registration details, submitting your trade-in for a quote, transferring the tax credit, uploading your insurance info, and making final payment. It is, IMHO, a much easier way to purchase a new car compared to how we used to do it with legacy car dealers.

Reactions: mongo
Yes, I paid the $250 when I placed the order. I also did a cash purchase and am contemplating doing a trade-in. Once you place the order, you will be directed to the Tesla app where you will have a series of tasks to complete: providing registration details, submitting your trade-in for a quote, transferring the tax credit, uploading your insurance info, and making final payment. It is, IMHO, a much easier way to purchase a new car compared to how we used to do it with legacy car dealers.
OK, much appreciated. It seems a little odd that you have to pay a non-refundable deposit with no mention that the tax credit is available. But I guess that’s just how they do it.

OK, much appreciated. It seems a little odd that you have to pay a non-refundable deposit with no mention that the tax credit is available. But I guess that’s just how they do it.
Tax credit depends on individual purchaser's situation. It would add many steps to the inital order placement.
The main and configuration pages call out the credit:
SmartSelect_20240112_111150_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240112_111205_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240112_111226_Firefox.jpg

So I went to the Newport Beach store and test drove both the LR and Performance MY today. They confirmed the tax credit was now immediately available. However, by the time I finished my test drive, all the discounted Performance models were sold out. And that’s the one I really want.

I can still get the LR AWD silver/black for $44K less $7,500. But I think I’m going to keep checking inventory to see if someone might cancel on the Performance model.

Reactions: Skavatar
can 2 people be on the title?

ie, one person able to get $7500 tax credit, while the other doesn't qualify? ie, father and son?
Yes, the credit only goes to one buyer. Not sure how that gets specified with Tesla though. The son must file taxes separately.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-22.pdf
Q11. Can the new clean vehicle credit be split between multiple owners? (added March 31, 2023)
A11. No. In certain instances, multiple taxpayers may purchase, place in service, and be titled as owners of a single vehicle. For example, a married couple that files separate tax returns may jointly purchase and take possession of a new clean vehicle that qualifies for the credit and both be titled as owners of the vehicle. However, only one taxpayer can claim the new clean vehicle credit per vehicle placed in service, and the credit may not be allocated or prorated between multiple taxpayers. In the case of married taxpayers filing jointly, either spouse may be identified as the owner claiming the new clean vehicle credit. The name and taxpayer identification number of the owner claiming the credit new clean vehicle credit should be listed on the seller’s report. See Topic B FAQ 9. Accordingly, multiple owners of a new clean vehicle should inform the seller which owner will claim the new clean vehicle credit so that the seller can identify that taxpayer on the seller’s report. The credit would be allowed only on the tax return of the owner listed in the seller’s report.

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess
I purchased a 2023 MYLR yesterday. My wife had been interested in this and I went to the Dedham, MA location to check out a new inventory vehicle with 19" Gemini wheels for $44,090. I happened to ask the sales guy if POS would be available soon for the $7,500 incentive, and to my surprise he said it just became available that day. I was even more surprised when he told me the Massachusetts MOR-EV $3,500 incentive could also be applied POS, for a total incentive of $11,000. I took out my phone and purchased the vehicle on the spot.

I purchased a 2023 MYLR yesterday. My wife had been interested in this and I went to the Dedham, MA location to check out a new inventory vehicle with 19" Gemini wheels for $44,090. I happened to ask the sales guy if POS would be available soon for the $7,500 incentive, and to my surprise he said it just became available that day. I was even more surprised when he told me the Massachusetts MOR-EV $3,500 incentive could also be applied POS, for a total incentive of $11,000. I took out my phone and purchased the vehicle on the spot.
In NY, the $2K state incentive is already applied at POS as of 2023 when I bought mine. So NYers can similarly now get a $9500 POS incentive on eligible vehicles.

Reactions: Skavatar and dorcse
In NY, the $2K state incentive is already applied at POS as of 2023 when I bought mine. So NYers can similarly now get a $9500 POS incentive on eligible vehicles.
It is only $500 for any Teslas in NY state:

Reactions: dakhlkt22