Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit, install date or permitted date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called me a few days ago to tell me my inspection issues would likely not be resolved this year but that I qualify for tax credit since it is installed. They said there is some dispute over how the calculations are done, the county inspectors agree but they need board approval to approve the permit. Not sure if this has to do with the size of my system and how its wired since I have 10kW, 3 powerwalls and whole home backup. At least I can run it (shhhh) without sending power to utility since I have the powerwalls. Very impressed with the software, it automates alot of what i thought I would need to do manually, but there is still only one peak rate per day and I will need 2 once I get my TOU meter. I'm in Palm Beach County.

Who Can Take the Credit You may be able to take the credit if you made energy saving improvements to your home located in the United States in 2018. Home. A home is where you lived in 2018 and can include a house, houseboat, mobile home, cooperative apartment, condominium, and a manufactured home that conforms to Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards. You must reduce the basis of your home by the amount of any credit allowed. Main home. Your main home is generally the home where you live most of the time. A temporary absence due to special circumstances, such as illness, education, business, military service, or vacation, won't change your main home. Costs. For purposes of the credit, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is completed, or, in the case of costs connected with the reconstruction of your home, when your original use of the reconstructed home begins. Costs connected with the construction of a home are treated as being paid when your original use of the constructed home begins. If less than 80% of the use of an item is for nonbusiness purposes, only that portion of the costs that is allocable to the nonbusiness use can be used to determine the credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: GenSao