Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein flex Z awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone installed the Tein Flex Z coilovers on an AWD model 3? I saw a couple threads on here with people anticipating them but no actual experiences.

I just picked up a 2020 Stealth Performance to replace my 2018 P3D+ that was totaled and I’m looking to drop it about an inch. I’ll never go to the track I just like to take off ramps quick, accelerate rapidly, and look good without huge gaps over my tire. I drive about 5000 miles a year and it rarely snows here. Roads are decent for the most part. I’m really not worried about wearing them out anytime soon.

I know a lot of people recommend the MPP comfort coilovers for my situation but they are $700 more and also require that I use the OEM top mount which makes installation more of a hassle. The Teins would basically just bolt right in and you can lower them without compressing the spring at all. I’ve had good experience with Tein in the past on a WRX and they generally have a good reputation being made in Japan.

Any thoughts?

Not AWD but RWD, the same Flex Z kit. Great kit to improve ride quality, lower the center of gravity and provide you with damping adjustment.

I did read through that thread and watched all the YouTube videos linked plus the videos where those guys compared the MPP, Tein, and the Ohlins. I guess it is a little too early to give any longer term reviews at this point since your shop just did the install last month but at least the build quality and ride seemed good initially.

My car will still be under warranty so I like that these will be easier to swap out myself with the stock setup in case I end up with squeaky control arms like on my 2018 and need a fix.

What height did that car in the thread settle at after driving it for a bit? Camber was still in spec? The Teins plus lifetime alignment at Firestone might be the way to go…

I did read through that thread and watched all the YouTube videos linked plus the videos where those guys compared the MPP, Tein, and the Ohlins. I guess it is a little too early to give any longer term reviews at this point since your shop just did the install last month but at least the build quality and ride seemed good initially.

My car will still be under warranty so I like that these will be easier to swap out myself with the stock setup in case I end up with squeaky control arms like on my 2018 and need a fix.

What height did that car in the thread settle at after driving it for a bit? Camber was still in spec? The Teins plus lifetime alignment at Firestone might be the way to go…
Very minimum drop but also near the max. allowed with the Tein Flex Z coilovers.

Front lower 3/4" and rear 1/4" to give the vehicle some front rake. Alignment was done a few hundred miles later. With front camber right around -1.5 both side and same with the rear. Set for slight toe-in for stability for both ends of the vehicle.

Tein site says minimum rear drop for the AWD coilovers is 1.1” that’s the only thing that worries me. I can’t figure out if that is relative to the P suspension or the awd regular suspension. I’m getting a P3D- which I’m pretty sure has the standard awd suspension height.

1E9E50A4-044F-4E8D-A8B2-E0618D4F7495.jpeg

Tein site says minimum rear drop for the AWD coilovers is 1.1” that’s the only thing that worries me. I can’t figure out if that is relative to the P suspension or the awd regular suspension. I’m getting a P3D- which I’m pretty sure has the standard awd suspension height.

View attachment 843075
You can measure droop. If sufficient, keep raising the vehicle. Shock length adjustable on the Tein if need be.

View attachment 843075
AWD version back in stock in a couple of months according the TEIN USA.

Reactions: golfcart
Hope to have the Flex Z on a customer's Performance in the next couple of weeks. Sorry, no ride feedback yet as they just arrived and it sounds like you also want a longer-term review.

IMG_3874.jpg

I am pretty sure the reference is for a Japanese Domestic Model Performance model. I can capture this with calipers if you would like but this will give you a rough idea of the quoted limitations. Photo is slightly distorted, but spring perch adjusted to reference height and there is 1/2" of thread left from the top of the spring mount.

IMG_3867 3.jpg

They look great for the price.

Hope to have the Flex Z on a customer's Performance in the next couple of weeks. Sorry, no ride feedback yet as they just arrived and it sounds like you also want a longer-term review.

View attachment 844573
I am pretty sure the reference is for a Japanese Domestic Model Performance model. I can capture this with calipers if you would like but this will give you a rough idea of the quoted limitations. Photo is slightly distorted, but spring perch adjusted to reference height and there is 1/2" of thread left from the top of the spring mount.

View attachment 844581

They look great for the price.
Thanks for that. I was able to speak with someone on the forum over PMs that has had them on their car and told me that the minimum drop in the rear is roughly 1" - 1.25" lower than stock. I don't want to slam the car but I do like an aggressive look so I am trying to figure out if that is reasonable. Since I have only had a stock 2018 P3D+ before I really don't have a good feel for how streetable a 1.25" drop would be on am AWD Model 3 or if I'd have to worry about bottoming out the battery on speed bumps or parking garage ramps at that height.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide once it is on there. Long term review is ideal but since they are relatively new I will take what I can get. They do look great I agree... I have been happy with their products in the past and thought they were a good value for the money. I don't have to pull the trigger on a suspension right away it is more of a want than a need I don't even get my 2020 P3D- until Saturday. Thanks.

Reactions: emotiveeng
I was really close to pulling the trigger on these but ended up going with the MPP non-adjustable comforts because the minimum drop with the TEINs is over an inch in the back and this is a daily driver that my wife also uses sometimes. I talked to a couple of knowledgeable people about the TEINs and heard nothing but positive reviews, especially for the price compared to other options.

Reactions: iMod4Fun
I was really close to pulling the trigger on these but ended up going with the MPP non-adjustable comforts because the minimum drop with the TEINs is over an inch in the back and this is a daily driver that my wife also uses sometimes. I talked to a couple of knowledgeable people about the TEINs and heard nothing but positive reviews, especially for the price compared to other options.

The recommended drop might be over an inch but you can run the fronts to near stock height and the rear at around 1/2" lower.

The recommended drop might be over an inch but you can run the fronts to near stock height and the rear at around 1/2" lower.
I haven't installed these but the TEIN website says that the allowable range of adjustment for the rear is -2.6" to -1.1" with a recommended range of -2.0" to -1.2". I am just going off the specs but I haven't actually seen or installed them... but this was confirmed by another forum member that has. Have you installed the AWD version and found this to be incorrect? Or are you possible talking about the RWD version which has a minimum drop of -0.7" in the rear?

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.41.02 PM.png

Reactions: iMod4Fun
I haven't installed these but the TEIN website says that the allowable range of adjustment for the rear is -2.6" to -1.1" with a recommended range of -2.0" to -1.2". I am just going off the specs but I haven't actually seen or installed them... but this was confirmed by another forum member that has. Have you installed the AWD version and found this to be incorrect? Or are you possible talking about the RWD version which has a minimum drop of -0.7" in the rear?

View attachment 850061
Referring to the RWD. If AWD, you are correct.

Reactions: golfcart
Your wants/needs match up with mine. I've had discussions with AutoRnD in Fremont, Ca and they recommended the budget friendly TEINs for me. I was first looking at just lowering springs but wanted to step it up to coilovers. I'm hoping to secure funds and get installed in Nov.

If I have the $$ I'd like to get a set of lighter wheels. Leaning to Titans.

Your wants/needs match up with mine. I've had discussions with AutoRnD in Fremont, Ca and they recommended the budget friendly TEINs for me. I was first looking at just lowering springs but wanted to step it up to coilovers. I'm hoping to secure funds and get installed in Nov.

probably spoke to me lol.

Reactions: rayray3

TEIN Flex Z is excellent bang for your money. It's ride quality is anything but budget, it's better than any other budget coilovers under $2K.

Reactions: rayray3