Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla acquires super cap company Maxwell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any weight advantage with capacitors - and they seem more expensive too. So are any performance gains (faster charge/discharge rates) worth extra cost & weight? Not so sure. I trust one of the below links will work

BCAP0310 P270 T10 Maxwell Technologies | Mouser

BCAP0350 E270 T11 Maxwell Technologies | Mouser

So I certainly think the value is in the "dry cell manufacturing".

At 12:20 there is an explanation as to why capacitors will not work and the dry cell tech is what Tesla is after in Maxwell

side note: Tesla "drying room" is a closed loop. Gigafactory captures gases and recycles chemicals. Not sure which chemicals are used, but they are re-cycled. Seems Jack indicates everyone must be doing re-capture. Hopefully true.

thanks @gilscales a great video by the way.

Jeff Dahn talks on YouTube
SLAC talks about Li-Ion batteries

Last edited:
Based on the latest Tesla filing, it looks to me like the Maxwell acquisition has hit at least a speed bump. Tesla has extended the deadline by two weeks and stated by only 4m shares out of about 46m have been tendered, meaning, I think, that the shareholders are not voting for this take over. I think that either Tesla needs to pay more for Maxwell, or this acquisition is dead.

SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Not an expert here, but MXWL share prices are still trading +50% from when the announcement was made. It's only retracted a very small amount in recent days, so the acquisition remains priced in, or at least investors remain enthusiastic. It is still below the previous year's highs but well off the lows, too... it's been volatile.

Meanwhile, TSLA shares are down roughly 10% since the announcement due to a rout of unrelated FUD regarding the company and a disappointing (to analysts) model Y reveal. TSLA is rebounding off of low resistance and I suspect TSLA is going to need to show further strength in the coming weeks before more MXWL shares are tendered.