Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla All-Weather Protection Kit (Mud Flaps)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the Tesla issued mud flaps that came in the Tesla All-Weather Protection Kit last week. These are being issued across Canada with the exception of BC. I got an email Jan 5th from Tesla stating the kits are ready for pickup at the service centers. Drove to the nearest service center that afternoon and picked up my kit with fame in a large box. They had about 50 of these kits in stock.
The box only includes front mud flaps. I wish I had taken some pictures of the unboxing. There is the basic small mud flap and an extra attachment piece the can be added to the face of to it to make it larger and lower to the ground to provide extra protection. So it basically gives you two styles to choose from.
I installed the mud flaps with the larger attachment piece the next morning. Attaching it involved two Philips screws and two washers replacing the lower push plugs at the bottom of the fender and a bolt attaching it at the bottom rocker panel going upwards at the rocker panel attachment point.
The larger attachment pieces of the mud flaps are very low to the ground (about 1”). They scrape on the ground going over bumps and when making fast tight turns when the car leans over in a corner. There was no way I was going to be able to listen to it scrape the road every time I drove. So when I got home I removed the larger attachment piece of the mud flaps straight away. Now I only have the smaller profile mud flap without the extra attachment flap. It looks nice enough however I have some serious concerns. At the top of the mud flap inside the wheel well there is an obvious gap between it and the wheel liner of about 1/4 inch (see picture with my finger). I suspect a lot of dirt and salt will accumulate here which will lead to a long term rust issue at the front of the lower rocker panel. Also there is a dime sized hole in the wheel well liner a few inches up from the bottom which the mud flap does not cover. That is another entry point for dirt and salt to get behind the wheel liner and cause corrosion. When putting on the mud flaps I temporarily covered this hole with some black duct tape. That is why the hole is not visible in the pictures. Also the dirt that gets behind the mud flap will accumulate on the inside of the flap (between it and the rocker panel) as it basically creates a cup shape. I’m thinking of removing these Tesla issued mud flaps entirely and just relying on the PPF that I put on the lower rocker panels. Anyone have a suggestion on how to cover the factory hole in the wheel well liner? Apologies for the car being so dirty in the pics. Also I did not take these pictures with the intention of putting them on the forum but purely for self reference or I would have taken better shots.
I wouldn’t recommend these mud flaps and I believe they have been poorly designed and executed.

AB3F7C10-A51C-4B0D-81BF-DCBF2E42165D.jpeg
AB3F7C10-A51C-4B0D-81BF-DCBF2E42165D.jpeg
B98245A2-9389-4C79-9C74-229179947D44.jpeg
6D0B481C-AD44-4E23-92DB-5901A669AEA6.jpeg

Attachments

• 0D881604-7A92-4A5B-9EAE-1FC9925B0864.jpeg
    0D881604-7A92-4A5B-9EAE-1FC9925B0864.jpeg
    600.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Stone Road With Text.jpg
20191026_092015 (1).jpg
20191026_092015 (1).jpg
Picked up the Tesla issued mud flaps that came in the Tesla All-Weather Protection Kit last week.
These are being issued across Canada with the exception of BC. I got an email Jan 5th from Tesla stating the kits are ready for pickup at the service centers. Drove to the nearest service center that afternoon and picked up my kit with fame in a large box. They had about 50 of these kits in stock.
The box only includes front mud flaps. I wish I had taken some pictures of the unboxing. There is the basic small mud flap and an extra attachment piece the can be added to the face of to it to make it larger and lower to the ground to provide extra protection. So it basically gives you two styles to choose from.
I installed the mud flaps with the larger attachment piece the next morning. Attaching it involved two Philips screws and two washers replacing the lower push plugs at the bottom of the fender and a bolt attaching it at the bottom rocker panel going upwards at the rocker panel attachment point.
The larger attachment pieces of the mud flaps are very low to the ground (about 1”). They scrape on the ground going over bumps and when making fast tight turns when the car leans over in a corner. There was no way I was going to be able to listen to it scrape the road every time I drove. So when I got home I removed the larger attachment piece of the mud flaps straight away. Now I only have the smaller profile mud flap without the extra attachment flap. It looks nice enough however I have some serious concerns. At the top of the mud flap inside the wheel well there is an obvious gap between it and the wheel liner of about 1/4 inch (see picture with my finger). I suspect a lot of dirt and salt will accumulate here which will lead to a long term rust issue at the front of the lower rocker panel. Also there is a dime sized hole in the wheel well liner a few inches up from the bottom which the mud flap does not cover. That is another entry point for dirt and salt to get behind the wheel liner and cause corrosion. When putting on the mud flaps I temporarily covered this hole with some black duct tape. That is why the hole is not visible in the pictures. Also the dirt that gets behind the mud flap will accumulate on the inside of the flap (between it and the rocker panel) as it basically creates a cup shape. I’m thinking of removing these Tesla issued mud flaps entirely and just relying on the PPF that I put on the lower rocker panels. Anyone have a suggestion on how to cover the factory hole in the wheel well liner? Apologies for the car being so dirty in the pics. Also I did not take these pictures with the intention of putting them on the forum but purely for self reference or I would have taken better shots.
I wouldn’t recommend these mud flaps and I believe they have been poorly designed and executed.
EVSmartParts.com mud flaps are wide, low, and silent. Indestructible 1/4" thick 2 ply die cut material and the easiest to install with no holes from self tap screws or drilling.
20191219_135912.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: