Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Android Project for CarPlay and Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, Newbie here. I've successfully installed on a RPi 4 and can boot up and see and log into the wifi network. I can pull up Autokit and it shows me the screen to "connect device". I have a Carlinkit CPC200-U2W plus and plug that into one of the USB-A ports of the RPi 4 (other end is plugged into the USB-C port of the Carlink). I've tried both plugging my iPhone in directly to the USB-A of the Carlinkit and logging into the Carlinkit wifi network and neither one have any effect. How do I get the last step of the CarPlay showing up?

Hello, Newbie here. I've successfully installed on a RPi 4 and can boot up and see and log into the wifi network. I can pull up Autokit and it shows me the screen to "connect device". I have a Carlinkit CPC200-U2W plus and plug that into one of the USB-A ports of the RPi 4 (other end is plugged into the USB-C port of the Carlink). I've tried both plugging my iPhone in directly to the USB-A of the Carlinkit and logging into the Carlinkit wifi network and neither one have any effect. How do I get the last step of the CarPlay showing up?
use the carlinkit hardware mentioned in the instructions.

I am trying to get TeslaAndroid to work on rpi4 with the new version from Michal Gapinsky with mixed results. I have used TslaMirror over the past year that very much improves the use of the Tesla screen while driving. Can more readers in this thread who used both TeslaAndroid and TslaMirror comment on how they compare the two?

I am trying to get TeslaAndroid to work on rpi4 with the new version from Michal Gapinsky with mixed results. I have used TslaMirror over the past year that very much improves the use of the Tesla screen while driving. Can more readers in this thread who used both TeslaAndroid and TslaMirror comment on how they compare the two?
Do not use latest tesla android 2023.4.2 or earlier 2023 versions. They cause the web page to freeze up. Use 2022.45.1 for stability. Before using new versions, clear tesla browser cache as url (web) links can change & old cached links can cause issues.

Never heard of tesla mirror.

Just the $6 app for Android and Iphone. No other hardware needed.
The app starts the VPN server on your phone and when tethering your phone to your Tesla the VPN server broadcasts the screen of your phone to url ios.teslamirror.com or android.teslamirror.com.

Last edited:

Just the $6 app for Android and Iphone. No other hardware needed.
The app starts the VPN server on your phone and when tethering your phone to your Tesla the VPN server broadcasts the screen of your phone to url ios.teslamirror.com or android.teslamirror.com.
I see thanks. Well, for many of us, we like the CarPlay & android auto gui since they are designed to be easy for a driver to use & be less distracting.

Reactions: **BatteryLow**
I updated to this new release 2023.7.1 following the installation instruction on www.teslaandroid.com.

A lot of work was done by Michal and the testers. Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Last night I tested 2023.7.1 at home in my laptop browser from the fresh install on my Pi400 with internet tethered by usb from my iphone 12 mini. The performance at home was very good with super audio quality in Spotify and much improved video in Youtube, Plex and Prime that I tested in my laptop browser.

This morning I took the Pi400 on 2023.7.1 for test drive and it did work in the Tesla browser in my 2020 Model 3 but performance was very poor with slow gui and lots of lag in audio and video.

I already did reset the browser data in my Tesla but that did not improve performance.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong with this new release?

ps I also made two 10 second videos to document the laggy gui, audio and video but dont know how to upload video here on the forum

ps2 I am not using the carlinkit dongle. I just like to use tesla android as an alternative media player in the Tesla browser for Spotify with better audio and better the Spotify gui and for playing video on Youtube and Plex/Prime while driving.

7F7BECA3-7CE2-4FA5-8F2B-B04CD5E45063.jpeg

Last edited:
Ughhh, I am so close to this working with my 2022 Tesla Model S.

I followed the directions. Used an RPi4 - 8GB with Sandisk 64GB running tesla-android-2023.7.1 in an open plastic case with Carlinkit CPC200-autokit attached.
I keep getting connection failures on the Carlinkit side. Here are the software versions. It doesn't seem to need an upgrade.

Carlinkit CPC200-autokit
Software version: 2022.08.18.1707
Box version: 2021.05.06.2039

I was able to get CarPlay working late last night unreliably when I plugged my iPhone cable between my phone and the Carlinkit. It worked for a while that way but it kept disconnecting. Also this keeps disconnecting. Bluetooth on iPhone connected Auto-Kit-df74

Any ideas? Do I need to buy another Carlinkit CPC200-autokit. IS it running a good software version?

Also should the Wifi on my iPhone be connected to Tesla-Android, AutoBox, or my home Wifi?

I assume Bluetooth should be connected to all three: Tesla Model S, Tesla Android, and AutoKit.

BTW, My iPhone is a 13 Pro running IOS 16.3.1

Thanks!

Ughhh, I am so close to this working with my 2022 Tesla Model S.

I followed the directions. Used an RPi4 - 8GB with Sandisk 64GB running tesla-android-2023.7.1 in an open plastic case with Carlinkit CPC200-autokit attached.
I keep getting connection failures on the Carlinkit side. Here are the software versions. It doesn't seem to need an upgrade.

Carlinkit CPC200-autokit
Software version: 2022.08.18.1707
Box version: 2021.05.06.2039

I was able to get CarPlay working late last night unreliably when I plugged my iPhone cable between my phone and the Carlinkit. It worked for a while that way but it kept disconnecting. Also this keeps disconnecting. Bluetooth on iPhone connected Auto-Kit-df74

Any ideas? Do I need to buy another Carlinkit CPC200-autokit. IS it running a good software version?

Also should the Wifi on my iPhone be connected to Tesla-Android, AutoBox, or my home Wifi?

I assume Bluetooth should be connected to all three: Tesla Model S, Tesla Android, and AutoKit.

BTW, My iPhone is a 13 Pro running IOS 16.3.1

Thanks!
I’d list this in the tesla android Reddit community. Reddit is better for these types of support/help questions.