Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wrong Android text message problem solved! (without deleting all messages)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many other folks, I like to keep old text messages. Unfortunately, that led to the "phantom text message" problem becoming totally unbearable. The solution as others have posted was to wipe your text messages and start over, but I really didn't want to do that.

I used a free Android program called SMS Backup & Restore (no sponsorship, just a happy user!)

Before I started, the above program reported 67466 messages (990.9mb). ( 16 bit counter anyone??? )

I took two backups to basically keep everything about 18 months
to 5/31/22 40733 messages 488.1MB
from 6/1/22 26734 messages 502.8

I then used the program's feature to wipe the messages database and restored the " from 6/1/22|" messages. I also needed to clear storage on the Google Messages app because it seems to maintain it's own indexes.. (losing a few settings, easily fixed), but all my new messages are there (SMS, MMS, etc) My Tesla hasn't shown a bad text since!

I've archived the "to 5/31/22" file to Google Drive. It's an XML file, so I could search it manually or re-import it to a phone (maybe an old one), should I need to find something.

Thought I'd share my solution! This is so much better than "wipe all your messages"!

Robert

Thank you so much!

I'm hesitant to try this but I have a summer of driving with me as the only person in the car, so I really need to do this.

So far it only happens on my phone (MotoG Stylus using Textra) and not my husband's (Samsung S23) but it happened again last night. Thankfully, he was driving but my phone is primary for communications so connected to the car and he knew I was texting with a friend so when 4 message notifications came up from our daughter, he correctly guessed it was actually return texts from my friend.

I'm hesitant to try this but I have a summer of driving with me as the only person in the car, so I really need to do this.

For confidence in the Backup/Restore process, I picked a conversation I didn't care about (and included MMS to make it challenging) backed it up, deleted it, restored it. This is the first phone I haven't rooted, so I can't do my traditional root based imaging/backups!

Let me understand how does this relate to Tesla?
When we get text messages, our car displays (and can speak) the message. If you have a lot of text messages, you sometimes (and the frequency increases over time) get a totally unrelated message from years ago. If you search TMC, for "phantom messages" or even just "text messages", you'll see many posts about it over the years. The best solution has been to wipe all your text messages.... I'm reporting a better solution.

Robert

I get this sometimes. Really annoying when I get a message from my property manager saying it is urgent call her. I do and learn this was a years old message! For me it comes and goes and has not been happening a lot lately. I still do sometimes get old messages OR it says message is from the wrong person. There is a reason Tesla's are ranked the worst quality car on the planet.

• Funny
Reactions: father_of_6
I encourage everyone to open support/service requests regarding this known issue. They suggested i unpair and repair, which of course doesn't resolve the issue. they need to feel pressure to resolve this. my parents just got a model 3 and the issue didn't exist on the Prius, definitely a tesla short-coming.

I encourage everyone to open support/service requests regarding this known issue. They suggested i unpair and repair, which of course doesn't resolve the issue. they need to feel pressure to resolve this. my parents just got a model 3 and the issue didn't exist on the Prius, definitely a tesla short-coming.

When you try the solution given here, does the problem persist for your parents?

I agree it is a pain in the neck to get old texts. I had 3 show up yesterday but I wasn't the driver so was able to figure out what the 'real' text was (it doesn't show in the tesla UI under messages, just the incorrect old ones) because I could look at my phone and see the actual texts I needed to receive.

I just haven't taken the time to attempt the solution here. Perhaps it is something I will do when I decide to give up on tesla pushing the recall update (the two recalls have been rolled into one update now) over LTE and I end up going to sit somewhere with wifi to download the the update now that the one I've been offered appears to be stable and V12 appears to be unstable so not worth downloading when it first becomes available.)

I also agree that tesla should have fixed this issue in the year(s?) it has been reported but they haven't. They are too busy (not) fixing other, more important, problems that they've introduced into the software via updates. After 3.5 years, I no longer think updates will improve my experience with the car (e.g. my husband had to turn off Auto wipers and manually switch between wiper speeds during our drive yesterday because it was so unusable, this after over 6 months of waiting for any sign tesla has addressed this vital function.)

Your parents own a tesla. They are going to either have to get used to this sort of random, not addressed, new problem showing up when they update (if they are happy with the way the car drives now I recommend avoiding updates) or trade their car for something else (which is the advice I receive each time I bitch about all my annoyances with my tesla.) If they have the choice to get something else, you may want to recommend that. I don't have that option since it isn't just my car.

Last edited:
When you try the solution given here, does the problem persist for your parents?

I agree it is a pain in the neck to get old texts. I had 3 show up yesterday but I wasn't the driver so was able to figure out what the 'real' text was (it doesn't show in the tesla UI under messages, just the incorrect old ones) because I could look at my phone and see the actual texts I needed to receive.

I just haven't taken the time to attempt the solution here. Perhaps it is something I will do when I decide to give up on tesla pushing the recall update (the two recalls have been rolled into one update now) over LTE and I end up going to sit somewhere with wifi to download the the update now that the one I've been offered appears to be stable and V12 appears to be unstable so not worth downloading when it first becomes available.)

I also agree that tesla should have fixed this issue in the year(s?) it has been reported but they haven't. They are too busy (not) fixing other, more important, problems that they've introduced into the software via updates. After 3.5 years, I no longer think updates will improve my experience with the car (e.g. my husband had to turn off Auto wipers and manually switch between wiper speeds during our drive yesterday because it was so unusable, this after over 6 months of waiting for any sign tesla has addressed this vital function.)

Your parents own a tesla. They are going to either have to get used to this sort of random, not addressed, new problem showing up when they update (if they are happy with the way the car drives now I recommend avoiding updates) or trade their car for something else (which is the advice I receive each time I bitch about all my annoyances with my tesla.) If they have the choice to get something else, you may want to recommend that. I don't have that option since it isn't just my car.
I definitely agree. I own three model S, 2019, 2021, 2023 so i do support the company but Corporations will only improve if they are pressured, particularly through their services department. If Toyota can make it work... i mean really it can't be rocket science.

The wipers are a huge issue with me as well along with the 'newer' lazy car following. It used to be amazing and paced the car in front of me cm by cm, but now tesla leaves an acceleration gap large enough to move a semi truck into.. and they do! Tesla doesn't respond to these boards, but the service department has a path and a process... well, given enough motivation

:)