Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and Limited Network and Internet Service - Fixes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model 3 since Oct 2018 and love it.
I live in a condo and the garage is mostly underground (one side opens to the air unobstructed) and the walls and ceiling are re-bar reinforced concrete. Why do I care: no cell service (ATT) and very limited WiFi availability. I have access to a Xfininity HotSpot on the open side of the garage, which is NOT where my parking spot and charger are. Opposite side of garage with an elevator shaft between my car and WiFi or Cell Phone access.

I have tried several versions of Netgear WiFi Extenders and not successfully been able to extend the Xfinity Hotspot.

Has anyone found a good approach to either WiFi or extending an ATT cell signal?

A WEBoost unit would help with the cell connectivity. I recommended one to a friend, who had questionable cell signal inside his mountain home. He says it is absolutely wonderful. It is a network agnostic solution, as it boosts everything in the cell bands.

Looks like they start around $300.

Edit: To be clear, the unit I recommended to my friend was a home-base type, not one of the vehicle based ones that they also make. $300 gets you small footprint 3G, $400 gets LTE in a similar footprint. (list prices from Wilson)

Last edited:
Thanks this is great technology and I will explore further. The examples you are looking at are vehicle based and I need something that is suited to the garage. Even those vehicle units quickly get to $500 if you not trying to tether a phone directly to the unit. Those building units quickly get to $800-$1200. More research needed.

The "Home 4G" is $399.99 and will cover 1500 sq ft with 4G voice and data. If you can be happy with 3G speeds, the "Connect 3G" (either the Omni or Directional) will cover 5000 sq ft for the same price. Both of these are stationary units, not vehicle based.

Again, these are list prices from Wilson Electronics. You might be able to do better with a reseller or with another brand of similar device.