Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app drains iPhone battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day: I’m new here so, if you’re kind enough to respond, please limit acronyms.
I have a 2 year old iPhone XS and the battery generally lasts two days without a recharge. My battery was about 100% the morning I drove to another neighborhood and took a (socially distant) walk with a relative. We walked for 2 hours and I believe the Tesla app was running in the background. When I got back to the car, my phone had less than 20% battery and wouldn’t unlock the car. Fortunately, I have a phone case that charges and, in short order, had enough power in my phone to open the car doors.
This issue doesn’t occur when I’m home within range of my home WiFi network. Has this happened to anyone else? I saw a thread in November 2019 about Android phones but not quite.
Thank you,
Jromf.

Pull up:
Settings-Battery
and verify what app has used the most energy in the past 24 hours. That does not sound normal at all. For reference, on my iPhone X, Tesla is the 13th app with only 1% in the past 24 hours (1 minute on screen and 42 minutes in the background).

If it is indeed the Tesla app, sometimes it just takes deleting and redownloading the offending app (you’ll have to re-add as a key). Sometimes it’s more serious.

Reactions: KenC and Ronbo
Pull up:
Settings-Battery
and verify what app has used the most energy in the past 24 hours. That does not sound normal at all. For reference, on my iPhone X, Tesla is the 13th app with only 1% in the past 24 hours (1 minute on screen and 42 minutes in the background).

If it is indeed the Tesla app, sometimes it just takes deleting and redownloading the offending app (you’ll have to re-add as a key). Sometimes it’s more serious.
Thank you. I missed the 24 hour opportunity but Tesla app was no 2 on the list of power usage (12%) for the last few days. Will see if it happens again.

Could be a freak occurrence. Did it happen more than once? One thing to try is a reset of the phone. Close all apps. Press the volume up, then volume down, then hold the power button until you see the screen go off and the apple logo go back on.

Stuff taking a lot of CPU are like Google Map and video streaming.

The Tesla App is connected to the car using Bluetooth BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and only check if the phone is still inside the car.
So when you walk away with your phone, the car lock itself automatically, or detect when you are back so the door can be open.