Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App: "Waking Up"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another data point: Yesterday we were in a Starbucks that had very, very slow wifi.

I brought up the app to turn on the heating in the car, but it wouldn't wake up. The unlock button was grayed out, so my trick wouldn't work.

Waited a while, it still wouldn't wake up.

I turned off wifi, and the car immediately woke up.

Anyone else having trouble? Started today. Road trip, so I was going to try to precondition the battery. App didn't work, so I wasn't able to. Later on, tried to turn on app in different place, still no dice. Got back home again, no luck. Tried my wife's phone (Apple - mine is an Android). No luck. Have turned off Wifi from phone and car, nothing. Has never had this problem before, the car is parked in the same place as every night.

So I went through the shut down app, reboot phone steps. Finally tried to uninstall and reinstall the app. Still doesn't work. And I mean, I have left the app open and in "waking up" mode for over 30 minutes. Now, not only does the car not wake up, but I can't re-pair my phone key to the car, since to do that, you have to be in the app and with the app working.

Bluetooth seems to work fine. Calendar, texting, all that stuff is unaffected.

So I get no sign of anything, no controls, no nothing. And my car is white, not black. The car is still on there under my account settings, but it is just way off.

Screenshot_20200215-201326_Tesla.jpg

When my car is in the garage, it has no cellular coverage. It does have WiFi. The car will go to sleep, and I cannot wake it with the app, UNLESS I move to a point in the house where it makes a bluetooth connection. Then I can unlock the car, the car will wake up, and all the other features of the app will work as designed.

Now, when I leave the garage, after it has not been able to connect to cellular, I can travel as much as 20 minutes within cellular coverage before it finds the cellular signal. For whatever reason, when without cellular coverage for a period of time, the cellular link goes to sleep and checks far less frequently for an available signal.

When my car is in the garage, it has no cellular coverage. It does have WiFi. The car will go to sleep, and I cannot wake it with the app, UNLESS I move to a point in the house where it makes a bluetooth connection

Car has wifi, cell, and bluetooth. I can sit in the car, check my calendar, make calls, text, etc. All through bluetooth. But it will not wake up, even with me IN the car - at this point I'm just trying to reprogram. The phone as a key since iij reinstalled the app.

Same place parked for 7 months, never an issue. Tried when I was parked in the middle of downtown Chattanooga, lots of cell coverage, no waking up.

No idea how long it will take Tesla to get back to me. But given my prior experoence, they won't.

Okay, so teh problem is with the car. Tried Tesla, they had me reboot the car and told me to schedule service if it didn't work. It didn't. Called teh closest dealer, he walked me through some things, but noted that the car hadn't been "online" since Saturday morning. But, I can drive it with the key, so I'll do that. Service is scheduled to come out to it next Tuesday, the 25th. Will see how that goes.

Okay, so teh problem is with the car. Tried Tesla, they had me reboot the car and told me to schedule service if it didn't work. It didn't. Called teh closest dealer, he walked me through some things, but noted that the car hadn't been "online" since Saturday morning. But, I can drive it with the key, so I'll do that. Service is scheduled to come out to it next Tuesday, the 25th. Will see how that goes.
Had a similar problem with the phone not pairing with the car, so I began using the keycard. My understanding was that if you enter the car using a keycard, you must also use the keycard when you want to lock the car. Not true. I was standing beside the car at a supercharger, iPhone in my pocket and keycard on the console, when the car decided to lock itself.
If you're using your keycard, make certain it's always in your pocket. Cheers!

Had a similar problem with the phone not pairing with the car, so I began using the keycard. My understanding was that if you enter the car using a keycard, you must also use the keycard when you want to lock the car. Not true. I was standing beside the car at a supercharger, iPhone in my pocket and keycard on the console, when the car decided to lock itself.
If you're using your keycard, make certain it's always in your pocket. Cheers!

That wasnt it. I tried in and out of car. Was just saying that despite being in Bkuetooth range, it wouldn't work.

And it magically started working again after a.few days.

Then the text thing wouldn't work. It notified me, put up the window, but would neither read nor accept voice input.

Then after a day, it worked again. No idea

Now, the charge port will not unlock. Have to do it with the cable, as of late yesterday. And the regen braking quit working, too.

Bunch of wierd stuff

I have had the "waking up' issue once or twice in the two months I have owned the car. I *think* that I resolved it by force-closing the app (Android) and restarting. In my case, I don't believe connectivity was an issue. It seems to me more like an app/car handshake problem when it is waking.