Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App - Who should have access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is the right sub forum for this topic. Mods: please move if not.

So we are getting ready for our MYLR, and now I am wondering who in the family should have a driving profile, and especially the app on their phone.
We are a family of 4 with two teenage boys who both have full licenses and have been driving for a few years. The boys are responsible, A students, haven't gotten in trouble driving (yet): no tickets, no fender benders of any kind.

The question now came up: should the boys have the tesla app on their phones? They may be driving the MY occasionally, but they both have their own cars. They are of course very excited about the Tesla, and would like to have profiles on the car, etc.

I am wondering a little about all the remote functionality though, like the cameras, tracking the vehicle, etc.
How do people in a similar situation handle this?

I feel it's better to ask this now, as once they'd have full access, it would be more difficult to reverse than not having it in the first place.

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Oh, and I forgot. On the same topic: for me and the wife, we both will need the app, of course.
What do people do here? Have completely separate Tesla accounts (is that even possible to add the same car to multiple accounts?), or use the same account and login credentials for the app?

Not sure this is the right sub forum for this topic. Mods: please move if not.

So we are getting ready for our MYLR, and now I am wondering who in the family should have a driving profile, and especially the app on their phone.
We are a family of 4 with two teenage boys who both have full licenses and have been driving for a few years. The boys are responsible, A students, haven't gotten in trouble driving (yet): no tickets, no fender benders of any kind.

The question now came up: should the boys have the tesla app on their phones? They may be driving the MY occasionally, but they both have their own cars. They are of course very excited about the Tesla, and would like to have profiles on the car, etc.

I am wondering a little about all the remote functionality though, like the cameras, tracking the vehicle, etc.
How do people in a similar situation handle this?

I feel it's better to ask this now, as once they'd have full access, it would be more difficult to reverse than not having it in the first place.

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Just curious, why the concern? If they're going to drive without you there, unless they just use the card they'll need the app. Even if they use the card, you can still track where the car is, use the cameras yourself, etc

Or is the concern you don't want them being able to track where you are/camera while you're in the car, etc? Also, I think the cameras available to view in the app are just external cameras IIRC? For some reason my app won't let me check right now (have been having numerous issues connecting remotely the last few weeks!).

Reactions: flixden
Oh, and I forgot. On the same topic: for me and the wife, we both will need the app, of course.
What do people do here? Have completely separate Tesla accounts (is that even possible to add the same car to multiple accounts?), or use the same account and login credentials for the app?

You just add them as drivers on your profile/app.

Just curious, why the concern? If they're going to drive without you there, unless they just use the card they'll need the app. Even if they use the card, you can still track where the car is, use the cameras yourself, etc

Or is the concern you don't want them being able to track where you are/camera while you're in the car, etc? Also, I think the cameras available to view in the app are just external cameras IIRC? For some reason my app won't let me check right now (have been having numerous issues connecting remotely the last few weeks!).
Thanks pbcsd!
Since I have not used the app with the car yet, I am not really sure what the concern is, as I am not fully clear on all the capabilities.
Yes, the kids remotely using the cameras would come to mind, maybe tracking (but that shouldn't really matter much, I guess).
Besides those items, I want to make sure we are not missing anything when giving them full access.

They have a car profile but dont have access to any of the app functionality like sending addresses to the car, remotely turning on AC, or any of the other convenience features that people think of when they think "profile".

It would be more accurate to say they have a car profile so they can set their seats and steering wheel the way they want, but without having the app on their phones they wont have access to do "all the cool stuff".

@flixden

You could all share one account, but its better for everyone who is going to have access to the tesla app for the car to have their own tesla account, then grant them access as a driver. This way you can also remove access if you want to.

Of course, anyone with the tesla app can see everything about the car (like where it is at that second) and remotely turn on AC, etc. Whether you want to give that level of access to additional drivers is up to you.

My wife and I have Tesla app access to both of our teslas, and anyone else driving uses a keycard, no exceptions (for us). Others do what works for them.

Each driver in the family can have their own Tesla account. The registered owner of the Tesla vehicle can choose to grant access to the Tesla Model Y.

If is best if each driver downloads the Tesla app to their phone, logs into their Tesla account using the app. Every driver should be provided with a key card as a backup.

For teenage drivers there you may want to set a driving speed limit. When you set a speed limit this also locks the Tesla Model Y in Chill Mode.