Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Applies for Model 3 Trademark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh okay, thanks for the update. I didnt know it was that early.

You weren't incorrect. Tesla apparently just *applied* for the logo mark (the three lines) for Model 3 just recently, and that is what your original post's link was about.

A display/graphic mark or logo mark is different than the "word mark" which was what Tesla submitted and got approved a good while back. Trademarks can be art or they can just be words, and you typically have to file for both if you use a special design for your trademark. Think IBM: its logo is just as much a trademark as the three letters forming the "word" IBM.

Frankly, I think it is a mistake of Tesla to use the "e" in their Tesla logo to be the logo for the Model 3. Why? Because it weakens the main brand, the Tesla logo itself, over time, and, it possibly limits their choices for future model brands/logos in the future. No big deal; just an observation. I suspect by the time there's another model being introduced, Elon will no longer be Tesla's CEO, and someone else will be running the show and making these silly decisions and the result will be going a different branding direction. Just as long as the stock keeps climbing to and beyond $1000/share, it's fine w/ me.

I suspect by the time there's another model being introduced, Elon will no longer be Tesla's CEO
this is off topic, but I heard somewhere the only reason elon would stop being the ceo is if he died on the way to mars or on mars... Maybe an exageration. But I feel confident that the company will remain top of the line with a new CEO, with people like JB Straubel on his team I dont feel worried, and especially after tesla energy was introduced, they opened an even larger market than just to automobiles.

Also, I found out on the waitbutwhy.com gigantic article about tesla, that elon only spends around 2 days a week at tesla, then the rest at spacex.

Frankly, I think it is a mistake of Tesla to use the "e" in their Tesla logo to be the logo for the Model 3.

I also wonder if it may be a mistake.

On the one hand it's a kind of cool way to say "screw you" to Ford, and to still get the S E X models that Tesla wanted in the first place. On the other hand, the reason the Model E was scrapped in exchange for the Model 3 was because Ford threatened to sue over the Model E. While I have no expertise in this area, it seems to me that if Ford's inclination was to sue if the Model E name was used, the approach being taken now might still give them reason to pursue legal action.

And perhaps that is exactly what Tesla wants. It's possible that Tesla thinks the publicity would be worth the legal costs.

I guess time will tell.

I am aware of currently four Tesla trade mark applications for the image that represents the letter E in the Tesla name logo or include that image combined with text.

3.png

US Serial Number: 86946030
Description:
The mark consists of three equal length horizontal
stylized lines in the manner of a stylized number 3
Goods and Services: Automobiles and structural parts therefor

US Serial Number: 86960133
Goods and Services: Articles of clothing, namely, t-shirts, shirts, jackets, gloves, scarves, hats; headgear, namely, sports hats, caps, sun visors; hats for infants, babies, toddlers and children; infant and toddler one piece clothing; infant wear
Status: A request for an extension of time to file an opposition has been filed by Adidas with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

MODEL 3.png

US Serial Number: 86960135
Description: The mark consists of the word MODEL next to three equal length horizontal stylized lines in the manner of a stylized number 3
Goods and Services: Automobiles and structural parts therefor.

US Serial Number: 86960138
Goods and Services: Articles of clothing, namely, t-shirts, shirts, jackets, gloves, scarves, hats; headgear, namely, sports hats, caps, sun visors; hats for infants, babies, toddlers and children; infant and toddler one piece clothing; infant wear
Status: A request for an extension of time to file an opposition has been filed by Adidas with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

I see that Adidas has three three horizontal lines of equal length in two of its trademarks, which could to be the reason why they apparently are looking at opposing the Tesla trademark applications No. 86960133 and 86960138 for articles of clothing.

adidas 01.png

adidas 02.png