Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla automatically melting snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that the front camera is automatically heated to melt snow, but overnight and this morning we had some snow in NYC and I can see my car from my window. I notice over time the snow keeps melting on the windshield, windows, roof, overtime and still to this moment. I only have preconditioning for weekdays for 8:45 AM and I didn't turn on HVAC manually.

I also notice that interior temperature is sitting at around 48-49*F where as it shows outside temperature of 32*F. This temperature has been staying steady all morning since I woke up. Not sure if this is a new update or something, I don't see anything online or in the manual.

I'm on FSD Beta 10.10 and this is the first that this happened to me. On January 29 we had a snow storm but this didn't happen.

Also, I'm plugged in as usual.

Do you have Sentry mode on? It will burn a few more watts.
It’s obviously outside too, so some light is getting in.

Since it’s 32F out it only takes a small difference to get things melting.

What was the temp outside on the last storm. Bet you it was colder and probably more snow too.

Windshields always melt first, even in a dead ICE car because it can build up heat inside the cabin. Just enough to make a difference.

Also your “cabin” temp isn’t the windshield temp. Your windshield might be 34F (enough to melt) today. But in your last storm I’m sure the cabin was warmer than outside temp. But not enough to get the windshield above freezing.

Last edited:
Do you have Sentry mode on? It will burn a few more watts.
It’s obviously outside too, so some light is getting in.

Since it’s 32F out it only takes a small difference to get things melting.

What was the temp outside on the last storm. Bet you it was colder and probably more snow too.

Windshields always melt first, even in a dead ICE car because it can build up heat inside the cabin. Just enough to make a difference.

Also your “cabin” temp isn’t the windshield temp. Your windshield might be 34F (enough to melt) today. But in your last storm I’m sure the cabin was warmer than outside temp. But not enough to get the windshield above freezing.
Yes Sentry mode is always on.

Last storm was definitely colder. The snow on my car is completely melted vs. every other car right now. There can't be that big of a difference, all cars are off and for it to be 15*F warmer inside is so interesting lol. Right now it is at 48*F inside, 31*F outside.

0AD89A58-25A2-4DFA-9959-C52E5ECA2D2D.png
7F7A9A0D-2997-4C93-BD5D-E12B381CF2A5.jpeg