Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BMS Errors for HVIL BMS_F036

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Members,

My car got damaged by rodents & I am trying to DIY it. As Tesla SC wants 4K to replace the Low voltage harness.

I was getting BMS_F036 error. Is there anyway I can figure out witch loop is open rather than disconnecting & reconnecting every loop.

While I don't know that it will help you, there are wiring diagrams on the service.tesla.com website that may point you in the right direction. I would assume, since it is rodent damage you should be able to physically see where the damage was done and simply repair the wires?

The previous reply is what I'd do. What's your build year and month? Register for a free account on service.tesla.com, then pull up the circuit diagram for your vehicle at https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelS/Circuit_Reference/. Go to the HVIL page of the diagram and you'll see all the connectors it's run through and can note their identifiers as well as the HVIL pins. Then on the page where you opened the circuit diagram, open the connector reference and you'll see where all the connectors are in the vehicle as well as their physical pinouts. Check for continuity between each connector to isolate the section of wire where the damage is, then repair it. This will likely require a fair bit of disassembly.

Since it's rodent damage I assume the resistance of the loop and the lid switches are still normal. In case it helps, I've seen 180ohm and 240ohm HVIL loops in Model S vehicles. I think 240 is only for dual motor vehicles with dual charger capability, but the circuit diagram will tell you for your vehicle.

The BMS should just need to see a continuous loop with the proper resistance, and to have the HVIL pin on the Rapid Mate/Splitter be properly connected in order to have no HVIL faults.