Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS85 Contactor Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys-

I have a 2013 Model S 85kW that was built in Dec 2013. It has a reman battery pack from 2018 according to the label. Software version v10.2 2021.24.28. I really like this car so I'm hoping someone can help with this issue I've been having

The attached photo shows the warnings I am getting on the car when the issue comes up. The problem is intermittent but when it happens, the car will not drive and none of the high voltage components do not power up. I do not hear the contactors closing. Sometimes it will correct itself after a few minutes without me doing anything. Sometimes I pull the negative lead on the 12v and it returns to normal after reconnecting, sometimes it has to sit overnight with the 12v disconnected and then it returns to normal. Sometimes charging the 12v and not disconnecting brings it back right away.

I thought it was the 12v battery, so I got a brand new one from my local service center (UNCR33 red top). The car worked great for about a week but now it has the same issue again and it hasn't responded to anything I've tried for about a day now.

I'm not sure if the contactors are attempting to close and can't for some reason or if there is something stopping them from actuating. I figure if it was an HVIL error, I would HVIL-specific errors. When the car was working one day, I pulled the connector on the cut loop to see what it would do and I got a different set of errors.

I have worked around the issue by doing things to keep the contactors closed in all the time. If I go to a store, I leave the A/C on low. I charge when I stop places or overnight at the house. It doesn't happen every time I let the car sit, and it will only happen after I've let the car sit long enough for it to open the contactors; it won't happen while I'm driving or using the high voltage. It only happens when there is a case where the contactors need to close in for something.

I know this was a long post and I thank you guys for taking a look. This is so frustrating!

Attachments

• IMG_5178.JPG
    IMG_5178.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 163
Hi. Did you manage to solve the problem?
Yes I did. It ended up being a voltage sensing wire had fallen off but was still making a connection intermittently. It was not a contactor issue at all like I had originally suspected. I guess the sensing wire that came loose was occasionally making a poor connection but it was good enough that it would allow me to drive. Eventually the poor connection got worse and worse and it no longer allowed me to drive it so I had to drop the pack and inspect the two bricks that were giving erratic readouts on the BMS. For what it's worth, it was an orange sensing wire that came off and I've seen other people on here with the same issue specifically with the orange voltage sensing wire coming off.

• Informative
Reactions: Brass Guy