Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Canada constantly rejecting warranty claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Is there any other options to me to get tesla to cover things under warranty?

I have a 2022 model y and it has a slew of little issues and tesla either denies warranty telling me its my fault or they just say "couldnt reproduce it".

Just now I noticed the top of my steering wheel splitting and bubbling. I knew right away from past experience with them they'd tell me its my fault and sure enough they did. "It looks like something hit or fell on it to cause the split" They wanted more pics so i took some from above directly downwards.. in these pics you can see bubbling but not the split.. that is only viewable when pic is facing wheel to see the edge of the split. After seeing the bubbled pics they tell me "thats not the same issue.. its two different steering wheels" and of course i went right out took yet another pic so they could see the split is actually there. I also said "why would I take a pic of a different steering wheel with a different issue? You guys are being ridiculous"

My phone almost never can connect to my car in under 3 minutes no matter where it is or where I am.. Ive had 3 different new samsung phones while having this car and it never changes. They said nothing wring with car.
Once a week the car will not recognize my phone and unluck so I have to use my card.
The windows will not continue to roll up if i hit a little bump in the road, they reverse.. so its this battle to get them up if im on less than perfect roads.. they said they couldnt reproduce it.
My rear view mirror is wobbly.. my fault
Once around every hour of driving the car starts blowing frigid winter air.. i turn the temp up a few degrees and it kicks back in then have to turn it back down. They said the coils were clogged with snow but it continues to happen.. and if they were clogged with snow.. then why does the hot air come back when i increase temp a few degrees?
The leather on my door handle started wrinkling and splitting a year ago... they said i am using hand lotion when I dont think ive ever used that. Are they saying theres a million teslas out there with cracking pleather from people who put lotion on their hands?

And now, the steering wheel is falling apart and they are coming up with the most bizarre reasons that dont even make sense to not cover it.

What is available to people in canada that are getting the run around by car manufacturers?

Attachments

• 20240129_155224.jpg
    20240129_155224.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240130_114856.jpg
    20240130_114856.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240130_115925.jpg
    20240130_115925.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 17
I'm sorry you are having such bad luck. I don't think it's like that everywhere but there are cases where owners are unhappy of dealer responses.

Phone connecting with car issues are common. The phone needs to communicate with a Tesla server somewhere on the Internet, which talks to a cell phone provider to eventually send an SMS to your car so it wakes up. IF the car has poor LTE connectivity where it is, for example in a parking garage, this can fail. It's not specifically a car issue. When that happens to me, I kill the cell phone app and launch it again. This re-sends the SMS I believe and in most cases it works for me. It obviously won't work in an underground garage though...

Phone unlocking issues are also common. Unfortunately, cell phone operating systems work hard to save the phone's battery and in some cases they disable bluetooth communications or suspend the Tesla application, which makes the door unlock fail. Turning off and back on the bluetooth signal on my phone fixes it when it happens to me. It doesn't happen often, it's once a month or two, normally when my hands are full or when it rains/snows :rolleyes: Annoying but also something that's not Tesla's fault.

You could try to calibrate your windows, this option is now available in the service menu. But yeah, windows have been tweaked in some software update to be more "careful" not to pinch anyone. Might be what is causing you trouble. I've heard a couple cases of funky windows but never as you describe it.

The false leather seems a bit fragile, there have been a few reports of steering wheels peeling or head rests bubbling. Not widespread but you're not alone. I've heard the headrest being blamed on hair products, yet they seem to have replaced them while under warranty. Just ask nicely. If you have a law like here in Quebec (garantie légale) that says products should last at least "x" amount of reasonable time, you can use that... Otherwise you might need to threaten to sue?

Reactions: CRISPR
here are pics
I'm sorry you are having such bad luck. I don't think it's like that everywhere but there are cases where owners are unhappy of dealer responses.

Phone connecting with car issues are common. The phone needs to communicate with a Tesla server somewhere on the Internet, which talks to a cell phone provider to eventually send an SMS to your car so it wakes up. IF the car has poor LTE connectivity where it is, for example in a parking garage, this can fail. It's not specifically a car issue. When that happens to me, I kill the cell phone app and launch it again. This re-sends the SMS I believe and in most cases it works for me. It obviously won't work in an underground garage though...

Phone unlocking issues are also common. Unfortunately, cell phone operating systems work hard to save the phone's battery and in some cases they disable bluetooth communications or suspend the Tesla application, which makes the door unlock fail. Turning off and back on the bluetooth signal on my phone fixes it when it happens to me. It doesn't happen often, it's once a month or two, normally when my hands are full or when it rains/snows :rolleyes: Annoying but also something that's not Tesla's fault.

You could try to calibrate your windows, this option is now available in the service menu. But yeah, windows have been tweaked in some software update to be more "careful" not to pinch anyone. Might be what is causing you trouble. I've heard a couple cases of funky windows but never as you describe it.

The false leather seems a bit fragile, there have been a few reports of steering wheels peeling or head rests bubbling. Not widespread but you're not alone. I've heard the headrest being blamed on hair products, yet they seem to have replaced them while under warranty. Just ask nicely. If you have a law like here in Quebec (garantie légale) that says products should last at least "x" amount of reasonable time, you can use that... Otherwise you might need to threaten to sue?
Thank you for thoughtful reply.

I understand there might be connectivity issues.. poor signals etc... but the car can be in my driveway where i know 100% there is perfect wifi connectivity and cell phone but it will still take minutes to connect. Same thing at the gym the car is outside in the middle of town and same issue.. at work, car outside, same issue. On my trips between Ottawa and Toronto or Sudbury doesnt mater where my car is its the same issue. I cant imagine my luck would be that bad with where i park.

This latest issue really has me annoyed... the bizarre suggestion that I sent them pics from two different steering wheels... I just dont understand what they meant by that... like why would I do such a thing? It's so weird.

They are sending a guy on monday to fix yet another issue.. the heated seat on my side is broken.. hopefully they dont try to blame that on me as well... and at that time I will learn if the steering wheel is covered... if not i am certainly not giving Tesla a dime to fix it. I will research what I am able to do as far as outside help getting them to do the right thing... its clearly shotty materials.

I know one thing... they have left such a bad taste in my mouth with all this I seriously doubt I will ever buy another Tesla and I will warn everyone I know to be careful before buying.

I've also heard people have issues with waking the car up when they are connected to their home wifi but a bit far away from the router so signal is low. I don't understand why this would affect wake-up but in their case disconnecting the wifi from the car helped them. That would not explain your gym case though. There have also been moments where either Tesla servers or cell provider services had trouble in which case whole bunches of people were affected for hours to a few days at a time. Maybe that doesn't explain your issues but I'm just listing as this type of functionality is prone to all sorts of trouble.

At the gym you could keep Sentry mode on which would keep the car awake. Your phone should connect really fast if the car is awake.