Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charged my loan more than the agreed price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR - Tesla failed to deduct my trade in from the preapproved blank check provided to them at delivery and charged the full preapproved amount!

So I picked up my Model Y last week 08/10 and yesterday 08/17 I got a promissory note confirmation from my lender. I noticed that instead of the ~40k loan amount it was for 55k. I immediately contacted the bank and inquired about this and they confirmed that Tesla had submitted the preapproved check for $55k instead of the actual sale price.

I contacted Tesla and they confirmed they errored and that they failed to update their system to reflect the trade in properly and as a result they submitted the $55k preapproved amount. They instructed me to contact the lender to stop payment on the check so the check would bounce and I would then request that the lender issue a new check and they would submit the check with the correct amount. I contacted my lender and unfortunately they had already paid the check.

Going back to Tesla because the check was cashed all they could do is issue a refund check for the difference of ~15k. They said it would take a couple of weeks for me to get the check.

So I get to wait for this refund check, while my loan is charging interest on this erroneous amount. Upon receiving the check I can cash it then pay my lender the amount received back from Tesla. Which will stop the interest on this additional amount from continuing. However, because my loan funded at a higher amount than expected my monthly payment is over $200 more per month than I had budgeted for! Granted I will end up paying my loan off faster and I can afford it but this is not what I had planned and I get to enjoy this mistake for years.

I asked Tesla what they can do to make it right and CRICKETS.

AWESOME!

TLDR - Tesla failed to deduct my trade in from the preapproved blank check provided to them at delivery and charged the full preapproved amount!
. . .
I asked Tesla what they can do to make it right and CRICKETS.

Ouch. I calculate a $300/month difference between $55K and $40K at 7% over 60 months., What you need is a new loan. Maybe your lender can re-do the loan with the smaller amount.

It appears my lender will be able to refi the auto loan for me. Still a PitA but not as impactful. Hopefully Tesla compensates me for the issue but I'm not holding my breath!

This situation sounds stressful.

I financed a part of both my wifes model 3 and Y, and the financial institution (Navy Federal) gives a blank bank check with a "not to exceed" number on it, but as for the actual amount, "I" (the customer) fill out the amount, vin, everything on it, as if it were a regular check.

I would never hand a blank check to someone and tell them "fill this out" (I am not trusting enough for that I guess). Did you not have the opportunity to fill out the blank bank check yourself, or asked another way, why was Tesla the one filling it out?

On the one Navy federal issued to me, in the paperwork, they specifically tell customers NOT to give the blank instrument to the dealer, and to fill it out themselves. I know financial institutions are different, but it seems strange that they would give you a bank check but tell you to have the dealer fill it out.