Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla China Beijing Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of today, both reservation holders and Tesla China are still waiting for the new policy which will probably be introduced at the end of this month, the policy will include import tariffs and other tax and fees on imported EV. That's why Tesla China still can not confirm the final price in China Market.

Okey thanks. Please update when you know. In Norway its the car that all people talk about. Is it the same way in China? How many Model S do you think Tesla could sell in 2014 if they had unlimited cars and a P85 costed $150 000? :)

Okey thanks. Please update when you know. In Norway its the car that all people talk about. Is it the same way in China? How many Model S do you think Tesla could sell in 2014 if they had unlimited cars and a P85 costed $150 000? :)
People in China might have heard of Tesla because of Elon Musk, Tesla is often mentioned by people who invests in Stocks of NASDAQ, it is still not a hot topic yet here. I guess maybe because we have not seen a Model S on road.
I don't think Model S will sell with a big number in 2014, maybe 1000-1500? The price of P85(basic) might be $155 000-$160 000 .

People in China might have heard of Tesla because of Elon Musk, Tesla is often mentioned by people who invests in Stocks of NASDAQ, it is still not a hot topic yet here. I guess maybe because we have not seen a Model S on road.
I don't think Model S will sell with a big number in 2014, maybe 1000-1500? The price of P85(basic) might be $155 000-$160 000 .

Question for you xdguo.

Does the great firewall of China blocks TMC website? I am just wondering because there's a lack of China based poster here.

Question for you xdguo.

Does the great firewall of China blocks TMC website? I am just wondering because there's a lack of China based poster here.

not at all I read the forums every day!! and post from china regularly. I think there are no die-hards here yet whom are interested or willing to post in English. or know we exist. I am sure there is at least one local forum with similar content but since my written Chinese is of no value I cannot tell...... :)

PS including this post from a very sunny Shanghai morning!

Question for you xdguo.

No, I don't think that TMC is blocked, it merely because TMC is a English site and most Chinese do not speak English.

- - - Updated - - -

yesterday, I contacted the Sales Director of Tesla China about the possible pricing for Models S and when the price will be announced. He said he is not sure yet but the Headquarter may announce it anytime, he predicted that price for the P85 with all option included probably is around 1,200,000 --1,300,000 RMB(US$195,758--US$212,000), while the 60kWh probably starts from 800,000 RMB (US$130,000).

It's not blocked, or at least it wasn't -- I had access when I was there in September.
No, I don't think that TMC is blocked, it merely because TMC is a English site and most Chinese do not speak English.

- - - Updated - - -

yesterday, I contacted the Sales Director of Tesla China about the possible pricing for Models S and when the price will be announced. He said he is not sure yet but the Headquarter may announce it anytime, he predicted that price for the P85 with all option included probably is around 1,200,000 --1,300,000 RMB(US$195,758--US$212,000), while the 60kWh probably starts from 800,000 RMB (US$130,000).

China website is online now. Does it mean Tesla finally got all the taxes and charges figured out? Ppl in Beijin, can you get a firm price yet?
As of today, the taxes and fees are still not figured out, normally there will be 3 kinds of taxes and fees applied for imported ICE cars, among them the import tariff (25%) and VAT (17%) will be definitely charged, the 3rd tax is consumption tax which could be ranged from 5%-40% depending on emission, since the Model S is 0 emission, this tax could possibly waived. Whether this tax will be waived or not is still not clear, but the Tesla China seems to be very optimistic that this tax would not be charged.

The Chinese website is online now, but the page loading speed is very slow here in Beijing, I guess they are still optimize the system, and the translation from English to Chinese is awkward, seems translated by machine.

The good news is that the My Tesla Page is showing the reservation status....

捕获.JPG

As of today, the taxes and fees are still not figured out, normally there will be 3 kinds of taxes and fees applied for imported ICE cars, among them the import tariff (25%) and VAT (17%) will be definitely charged, the 3rd tax is consumption tax which could be ranged from 5%-40% depending on emission, since the Model S is 0 emission, this tax could possibly waived. Whether this tax will be waived or not is still not clear, but the Tesla China seems to be very optimistic that this tax would not be charged.

The Chinese website is online now, but the page loading speed is very slow here in Beijing, I guess they are still optimize the system, and the translation from English to Chinese is awkward, seems translated by machine.

View attachment 38342

Thanks for the update. I guess we have to wait for Q4 earnings to know for sure what the tax situation is. I was under the impression that a ruling was made at the end of November.

BTW the Chinese seems ok to me. Looks more like ABC Chinese than Google translate. A bit on the official side and lacks localisation slang. This problem is weird as I am sure there must be native Mandarin speakers at Tesla.

Questions About the Chinese Market

Thank you for your informative posts.

Do you think that China's appetite for new technology is stronger than it's appetite for haute couture and luxury.

The reason I ask is that more than 50% of the luxury automakers output is shipped to China.

The Model S is the ultimate technology and green vehicle.

The status of this car is astronomical in the technology world. Silicon Valley/Bay Area is buying 1/4 of Fremont production.

How do you think that will translate in China?

Thank you for your informative posts.

Do you think that China's appetite for new technology is stronger than it's appetite for haute couture and luxury.

The reason I ask is that more than 50% of the luxury automakers output is shipped to China.

The Model S is the ultimate technology and green vehicle.

The status of this car is astronomical in the technology world. Silicon Valley/Bay Area is buying 1/4 of Fremont production.

How do you think that will translate in China?
First of all, from the consumer perspective, I think Chinese consumers are no different with that of other part of world, they would buy nice car when they can afford it, people like nice cars, it has nothing to do with their appetite for technology or luxury. Of course, Model S is nicely designed and is unique in many aspects and that will definitely attract a lot of potential buyers here.
Secondly, the fact is that China has world's largest population, China experienced fastest economy development in the past 2 decades, Chinese started to own their own cars just within recent 10 years, so, the demands are very big, and it is not hard to explain why more than 50% luxury automakers output is shipped to China.
For sure, Chinese also like everything with new technology which could turn out to be very nice products, and we also like green products.
As for Tesla cars, I believe they will have a very big potential in China in the coming 5 years.

Silicon Valley-based electric car maker is making inroads in China

Will Tesla by another name sell as sweet?|Across America|chinadaily.com.cn

Unlike many international luxury brands' strategy to expand into China's second-tier cities, Silicon Valley-based electric carmaker Tesla says its growth in 2014 will focus on opening more showrooms in the country's first-tier cities.
"We have great expectations for the market in China, and opening showrooms in more first-tier cities would be the major way that Tesla approaches rich buyers across the country," said Veronica Wu, vice-president for China at Tesla Motors.
"Our challenge is how to satisfy the high demand in China," she told Chinese web portal 163.com.
Hundreds of high-end Tesla electric cars have been ordered or pre-ordered in China in the two months since the carmaker opened its first showroom to the public in Beijing in November.
Even though the company has yet to establish electric vehicle charging stations throughout the country, Chinese buyers jumped at the opportunity to lay down 250,000 yuan deposits for one of two available models - the S and the X, which have also been available for online order since Dec 14.

As a former general manager of education and enterprise of Apple's operation in Asia, Wu assumed her new post at Tesla three weeks ago. Immigrating to the US at the age of 14, Wu studied at UC-Berkeley and Yale, the report said.
Wu said Tesla currently had more than 20 staff members in China and talent recruitment will be on her 2014 work agenda.
Meanwhile, Tesla still hasn't given its brand an appropriate Chinese name.
A well-known translation of Tuo Su Le has been criticized by Chinese netizens as too narrow-minded to represent the brand value of an environmentally friendly luxury car.
Tuo Su Le actually combines three Chinese words: Tuo, which means expand, su indicates speed and le embodies happiness.
But its various harmonics of Chinese pronunciation could be also interpreted as "free from vulgarity" or "refined", which makes buyers think of the Beverly Hillbillies, goes some buzz online.
Te Si La, the accurate translation for Tesla's Chinese pronunciation, has been registered since 2006 by local businessman Zhan Baoshen, who refuses to give up the trademark.
A recent report by Reuters said Tesla has other problems in China. In a letter to clients, it said that the price of Model S is not determined yet because China has not decided on its tax policies regarding imported electric cars.
Facing the competition triggered by Tesla, China's leading new-energy carmaker BYD Auto also launched a new plug-in hybrid in Beijing last week.
Called Qin, it is a dual-mode model designed with a capacity to run 70 km on a single charge under all-electric mode, Hou Yan, general manager of the company's sales unit, told Xinhua.
Compared to Tesla, BYD highlights its advantage that the Qin's battery can be charged at home using common electric power. Also, the mileage is enough to accommodate the travel needs of life in the cities.