Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cockpit non-app BETA 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Ryan...the battery heater notifications are definitely not working for my car. Aside from preheating with range mode off, which should be starting the battery heater, I tried a test of actually driving with range mode off, and even that did not result in any kind of notification. Driving with range mode off in the cold, when I had a regen braking limit, definitely started the battery heater. Is there a way you can look into what could be going on?

Thanks very much!

Interestingly, if you can get this working, this would be one set of notifications that I don't think any other app is currently providing.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Newport Ryan
So, Ryan...the battery heater notifications are definitely not working for my car. Aside from preheating with range mode off, which should be starting the battery heater, I tried a test of actually driving with range mode off, and even that did not result in any kind of notification. Driving with range mode off in the cold, when I had a regen braking limit, definitely started the battery heater. Is there a way you can look into what could be going on?

Thanks very much!

Interestingly, if you can get this working, this would be one set of notifications that I don't think any other app is currently providing.

Thanks again!

Hello Andy!

Hope you are having a fantastic weekend.

The next time the battery heater should be on could you let me know when that is so I can look at the car specifically. Thank you!

Hello Andy!

Hope you are having a fantastic weekend.

The next time the battery heater should be on could you let me know when that is so I can look at the car specifically. Thank you!

If you are around now--8:47 PM eastern time on Sunday evening--I could preheat the car with range mode off, which should turn on the battery heater.

Please just let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!

If you are around now--8:47 PM eastern time on Sunday evening--I could preheat the car with range mode off, which should turn on the battery heater.

Please just let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!

Hey Andy, thanks for your willingness to help out and sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't need to know ahead of time as more verbose logging has been enabled for your vehicle just a time frame to narrow down the investigation.

Thanks again!

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Hey Andy, thanks for your willingness to help out and sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't need to know ahead of time as more verbose logging has been enabled for your vehicle just a time frame to narrow down the investigation.

Thanks again!

Got it!

I will endeavor to reach my wife before she drives home, and suggest that she begin her drive with range mode off. That should certainly get the pack heater to start heating. Assuming I am successful, I'll be able to tell you the exact time range to check.

Thanks!

It turns out my wife forgot to turn rage mode on this morning on her way to work.

So...the pack heater should have come on when she started preheating the car, some time around 8:00 or 8:15 AM this morning

If for some reason it did not turn on with cabin preheating, it should have turned o when she started her drive at 8:36 AM this morning. My guess is it may have then turned off roughly 30-40 minutes later.

Finally, it should have been on again when she started her drive this afternoon, at 4:45 PM, and then turned off just five or ten minutes later, when she turned on range mode.

That should give you a few options to look into.

Thanks, Ryan!

***General Update****

Hello everyone, hope you all are having a fantastic week and TGIF!!!

I wanted to provide a few updates of what's been going on over the last week;

• Backend Systems High Availability and Disaster Recovery
    • Web servers have been scaled out into multiple farms to allow for HA and rolling upgrades.
    • Backend DB system configured for high availability and fully redundant.
    • Two separate upgrade groups and failure groups have been created for the TC cloud services so at any given time there should be multiple services servicing requests and collecting data and allows for rolling upgrades to TC Services.
    • Additional security measures put in place.
    • Additional monitoring put in place for performance based alerts.
  • Locations & Geo-fences
    • One of the costs of running the system is geocoding, taking a latitude and longitude coordinate and turning that into a physical address. When users create locations this allows the system to not have to geocode addresses in these places and reduces costs to operate the system. Just asking that you at least create a location for home and work, please.
    • The algorithms have been adjusted all week to make them more specific and relevant.
    • If locations are not working for you and you created them in the last few days, delete them and re-add. Also, a reminder location addresses do not need to be exact, if the address is one or two houses off in the “common destinations” it’s fine and just the nature of geocoding.
    • Use of locations greatly increases the functionality of the system.
    • Customer kWh charges by location are in the works as well as we’re hooked up to an API that provides this type of information by zip to augment the user entered data.
  • Performance Tuning and Optimization
    • There were about 10x as many that signed up for the Beta than what was anticipated which in turn pushed this up the priority list.
    • After tuning and optimization we’re running at about 5% of current capacity and have reduced all backend calls to sub 100ms
    • User interface performance enhancements to require fewer calls to build, image optimization, etc.
  • Route
    • Common routes have been added to the user interface via the Route page.
    • Looking for User Interface feedback on things that users would like to see related to common routes.
    • Common routes are to support functionality like anticipating where the driver is going and offering related information like an upcoming accident, deals at the driver’s favorite restaurant along the way, speed traps, etc.
  • User Interface
    • Added screen resolution and orientation logic to adjust for screen size and position.
    • Down level browser support added (IE7+ & Mobile)
      • Setting can be changed in footer (Desktop or Mobile)
    • For devices that are less than 600px wide, turn the device landscape for a much better experience (older iPhones) and smaller mobiles.
    • The interface is in the process of being redesigned from a look and feel point of view. This will probably take a few months.
    • Incremental updates will be made to the existing interface.
    • Pin the site to your start screen on your mobile, one touch to all the information! You can pin each screen individually. And by “pin” I mean however your platform of choice puts links/buttons on your main mobile screen.
  • Hottest Issues
    • Celsius & KM. Totally surprised by how many European drivers signed up!
    • Alexa availability in the UK.
    • Custom kWh charges (all variations)
    • Alexa lock/unlock
    • Dashboard initial load time
  • Feedback, Bugs & Ideas
    • Because there were so many streams of feedback I went ahead and consolidated it all into a user voice site.
    • This will serve as a central point of tracking, suggesting and learning.
    • I will continue to summarize to this forum.
routeinformation.png

Thank you for creating this. You've done a great job blending "tracking" and "control" tools...a solid mash-up. Few thoughts FWIW.
  • I've love to be able to use your SmartClimate and Alexa integration with the UI of TeslaFi. I find TeslaFi to be a far better UI for showing drive history, charges, locations/geo fences, energy used, charge history, time parked, idle, etc. I hate to see you spending time building that type of UX (I'd rather you focus on the data/AI engine). Of course, I can use both tools but a joint venture would be awesome. ;) fyi: for now, I'm not paying for teslafi, waiting to see how each application evolves.

• Is there a place where I don't see where I can enter my cost of electricity? (Also, looks like it added in the cost of a supercharge)

• Alexa to times out when issuing the first command however the command actually does execute/work. I realize it takes awhile to connect, "wake" the care, issue the commands, etc. Not sure if the timeout needs a bit more?

• Is there a way to see how much "vampire" drain happens when the car is idle between drives (ex: when I'm parking at work?)
Cheers!

Thank you for creating this. You've done a great job blending "tracking" and "control" tools...a solid mash-up. Few thoughts FWIW.
  • I've love to be able to use your SmartClimate and Alexa integration with the UI of TeslaFi. I find TeslaFi to be a far better UI for showing drive history, charges, locations/geo fences, energy used, charge history, time parked, idle, etc. I hate to see you spending time building that type of UX (I'd rather you focus on the data/AI engine). Of course, I can use both tools but a joint venture would be awesome. ;) fyi: for now, I'm not paying for teslafi, waiting to see how each application evolves.

• Is there a place where I don't see where I can enter my cost of electricity? (Also, looks like it added in the cost of a supercharge)

• Alexa to times out when issuing the first command however the command actually does execute/work. I realize it takes awhile to connect, "wake" the care, issue the commands, etc. Not sure if the timeout needs a bit more?

• Is there a way to see how much "vampire" drain happens when the car is idle between drives (ex: when I'm parking at work?)
Cheers!

Hello and thanks for taking the time to check out the Cockpit!!

As far as Alexa and SmartClimate specifically, we're waiting on Amazon to release the latest version of the skill as changes have been made that require recertification. This has taken between 2 days and 2 weeks and nothing we can do to speed it up. The changes add integration with Alexa and SmartClimate. As an example you can ask Alexa to schedule your car to warm up tomorrow morning. Unlock/lock have also been added to name one more.

Speaking to the current UI I would say firstly that we've intentionally not created accounts, logged in or visited other offerings because the intent of the project is to create something unique that fits into a larger picture not to copy or mimic what's already been done. I would also add that the current team are not UI designers (duh :)) and initially never envisioned our users would use the system this way. Our thought is that we would expose the system as an API (yes and API for an API) so that people who loved and were good at that stuff could plug in our system and not have to reinvent the wheel. This would also allow users to store their data in a single place and access it from wherever/whatever they wanted. Currently the plan now is to do both since the API is already built and the current UI is using it so we've been able to work out the proverbial kinks. Currently a design company is working on the new UI/look&feel which is likely a few months out. We've also been approached by a couple app development companies that want to build native apps but not a high priority at this point.

Energy costing and international denominations are being tested right now and most likely will be pushed out Monday. The energy module needed to be zipped up and shipped out before costing could be added which delayed the functionality a bit but it's coming.

Not sure when the last time you had this experience, on Tuesday we pushed an update to the service to address time out issues in regards to the location intent and vehicle function intents. Let me know if you are still seeing these times outs as since then we're seeing very low latency between Amazon and the TC service.

As far as "Vampire" drain and wrapping up the energy module we've created a number of "buckets" for energy use not directly related to vehicle propulsion. This data is being integrated into the UI as we speak and will also probably ship Monday or Tuesday.

Please let me know if I have missed anything and thanks again for the great feedback and your time!

Reactions: Andyw2100
Hello and thanks for taking the time to check out the Cockpit!!

As far as Alexa and SmartClimate specifically, we're waiting on Amazon to release the latest version of the skill as changes have been made that require recertification. This has taken between 2 days and 2 weeks and nothing we can do to speed it up. The changes add integration with Alexa and SmartClimate. As an example you can ask Alexa to schedule your car to warm up tomorrow morning. Unlock/lock have also been added to name one more.

Speaking to the current UI I would say firstly that we've intentionally not created accounts, logged in or visited other offerings because the intent of the project is to create something unique that fits into a larger picture not to copy or mimic what's already been done. I would also add that the current team are not UI designers (duh :)) and initially never envisioned our users would use the system this way. Our thought is that we would expose the system as an API (yes and API for an API) so that people who loved and were good at that stuff could plug in our system and not have to reinvent the wheel. This would also allow users to store their data in a single place and access it from wherever/whatever they wanted. Currently the plan now is to do both since the API is already built and the current UI is using it so we've been able to work out the proverbial kinks. Currently a design company is working on the new UI/look&feel which is likely a few months out. We've also been approached by a couple app development companies that want to build native apps but not a high priority at this point.

Energy costing and international denominations are being tested right now and most likely will be pushed out Monday. The energy module needed to be zipped up and shipped out before costing could be added which delayed the functionality a bit but it's coming.

Not sure when the last time you had this experience, on Tuesday we pushed an update to the service to address time out issues in regards to the location intent and vehicle function intents. Let me know if you are still seeing these times outs as since then we're seeing very low latency between Amazon and the TC service.

As far as "Vampire" drain and wrapping up the energy module we've created a number of "buckets" for energy use not directly related to vehicle propulsion. This data is being integrated into the UI as we speak and will also probably ship Monday or Tuesday.

Please let me know if I have missed anything and thanks again for the great feedback and your time!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Awesome to hear about the updates to Alexa/SmartClimate/Unlock...these are killer features, I'll likely use the unlock every day. Example: when leaving the kitchen to the garage "Alexa, please unlock my Tesla"...as the car won't self unlock from the back corner allowing me to unplug... Will be important to geofence the unlock ;)

I fully appreciate the API/platform approach and makes a ton of sense...looking forward to seeing what others can do on the UI front...I may even try my luck on of these days.

Good news on the other fronts. Just tried again and no timeouts.

I would be remiss to add that what we've built is that much better because of those that came before and I'm incredibly grateful for those efforts. Those that took risks and followed their passion to build a user base that is aware of what is possible are the real visionaries and for that I have the upmost respect.

Minor nit: On the top of your homepage Home Page - Tesla Cockpit there is a link point to a section about 'Token Based Authentication'. That section doesn't exist.

I got there, since I am a little confused about how to sign up for your service with just my tokens? The Token login page Login By Token - Tesla Cockpit still asks for an e-mail address and a password, which is what I am trying to avoid.

I've monitored this thread for some time, and now that you're about the enter the metric world (km& C), I'd like to start using it. :)

As an aside, I can highly recommend the Chrome app Postman as an easy way to generate your own tokens :)

I got there, since I am a little confused about how to sign up for your service with just my tokens? The Token login page Login By Token - Tesla Cockpit still asks for an e-mail address and a password, which is what I am trying to avoid.

I'm almost certain what you are talking about is a request to set up a login and password for Tesla Cockpit. They don't have to match your Tesla login credentials.

Good luck!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. Just wanted to let the thread know that the energy pricing functionality has been pushed up to the site.

Each charger has a base rate that can be in several currencies. In addition to base rate there is also the ability to set time/day based rates in addition to the base rate.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, ideas or feedback please send it here.

energyinfo.png