Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla communication not so good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mom requested a quote for solar panels + powerwall. Someone came out and did a very detailed analysis of the house, spent at least 4 hours at the house. Two weeks later, an adviser scheduled an online meeting to discuss the proposal. We join at the scheduled time, but no one else is there. I reply to the confirmation email asking if anyone is going to join, and eventually someone shows up 10 minutes late. They spend the next 10 minutes trying to find our information. Neither our email address, phone number, or job ID will pull up any info. The adviser isn't answering their phone so we are told the meeting will need to be rescheduled and someone will call us today to do that.

No phone call all day. I call the adviser but no answer. Is this typical? I feel like Tesla has invested a lot of time into this process. We own a S and 3 and believe in the company, but I feel like average Joe would have given up on getting solar from Tesla at this point. Any recommendations? Is there somewhere to call that will actually answer the phone?

For what its worth we are located in Maryland.

We've been trying to get a quote for some time. A guy named Chris texted me and seemed on top of things but then dropped off the face of the earth. I suspect that my mentioning that we'd likely wait for solar roof tiles but weren't yet sure might have scared him off thinking that I wasn't a good panel prospect.

A friend got a call from the roof folks to schedule and when he called back was told that he was not up yet and had no record of whomever originally called him to schedule. Someone posted on here a while back that some of the folks in energy, no idea if roofing or panels or both, were keeping a PITA list and ignoring anyone that they thought was not subservient enough towards they and Tesla.

The last one would greatly concern me if true but I'd be surprised if it is. The others may or may not be poor management. They seem to be wasting resources and not following up on potentially good revenue opportunities and are certainly developing a bad reputation (Tesla seem to be increasingly viewed poorly by builders, consumers and others) but they may also be cutting off a lot of bad leads and accidentally including an insignificant few good ones in the process. Sometimes sales and integrity don't mix well.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Sounds like they aren't hungry for your business, Others have also reported less than stellar experiences with Tesla energy.

Anyone you have to chase down to give your money is a red flag in my opinion. What will their response be if and when there is an issue that requires them to do some work or spend some money on a new inverter?

Just wanted to follow up. They were able to find the design proposal and rescheduled the meeting on Friday. Salesperson was pleasant to deal with. Sounds like to me they need to build out a better work stream. Seems very seat of the pants right now. I understand why they are doing online meetings but might be limiting their customer base. Many older folks might not know or want to do an online meeting for such a large investment.

Just wanted to follow up. They were able to find the design proposal and rescheduled the meeting on Friday. Salesperson was pleasant to deal with. Sounds like to me they need to build out a better work stream. Seems very seat of the pants right now. I understand why they are doing online meetings but might be limiting their customer base. Many older folks might not know or want to do an online meeting for such a large investment.

Just be aware the rest of your process will be like this (poor communication, lost info, etc). I had Tesla do my solar and powerwall installation and I do not recommend them to anyone. Even after all the trials and tribulations of the install were over (that took 6 months alone), I thought we were home free, but the system had issues after install. Took 5 months for Tesla to agree to have someone look at it. I was ready to throw my 20 year warranty in the trash and hire someone else to service my panels by the time Tesla agreed to fix it.

A Chinese ride-hailing company is so unhappy with its fleet of 278 Tesla cars that it bought billboards in Times Square to demand refunds
A Chinese ride-hailing company is so unhappy with its fleet of 278 Tesla cars that it bought billboards in Times Square to demand refunds

I really hate to say this... but "Good for them!". Tesla/Elon very much needs a big *slap* in the face. Elon... wake the f$*k up and concede that whomever you having running your show needs to be fired. Maybe that person is YOU!

Last edited: