Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Developing New TouchScreen - Hope this one does not yellow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
Tesla is apparently developing a new bezel-less touchscreen. Electrek is reporting this based on patent applications and design mockups. They claim that Tesla is developing this touchscreen in-house.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/04/tesla-bezel-less-display-technology-holographic/

This is all well and good, but I would be much happier if they would develop a display that does not yellow around the edges and then provide this display to everyone who has been stuck with defective yellowing 17" touchscreens in their newer cars. The touch screen in my MS 100D started yellowing in early December 2018 about ten months after I took delivery of the brand new car in January 2018. My screen is so bad that under some light conditions, I cannot see the control buttons and icons around the edges (volume, temp, map settings, and etc.).

I posted a comment to this Electrek article hoping this was an opportunity to raise some awareness regarding this problem. I suspect the majority of Tesla's customers do not know about this issue. Here is my post to Electrek:

"I am thrilled that Tesla is working to improve its displays. I would be even more thrilled if they would replace or permanently fix all the 17" touchscreens that are yellowing in all their newer Model S/X cars including my own early 2018 MS 100D."

This is an old image of my display. The yellow area is now even wider.

IMG_0430.jpeg

Reactions: croman and aesculus
Tesla is apparently developing a new bezel-less touchscreen. Electrek is reporting this based on patent applications and design mockups. They claim that Tesla is developing this touchscreen in-house.

Tesla is developing a bezel-less display technology with 'holographic' feature - Electrek

This is all well and good, but I would be much happier if they would develop a display that does not yellow around the edges and then provide this display to everyone who has been stuck with defective yellowing 17" touchscreens in their newer cars. The touch screen in my MS 100D started yellowing in early December 2018 about ten months after I took delivery of the brand new car in January 2018. My screen is so bad that under some light conditions, I cannot see the control buttons and icons around the edges (volume, temp, map settings, and etc.).

I posted a comment to this Electrek article hoping this was an opportunity to raise some awareness regarding this problem. I suspect the majority of Tesla's customers do not know about this issue. Here is my post to Electrek:

"I am thrilled that Tesla is working to improve its displays. I would be even more thrilled if they would replace or permanently fix all the 17" touchscreens that are yellowing in all their newer Model S/X cars including my own early 2018 MS 100D."

This is an old image of my display. The yellow area is now even wider.

View attachment 462553
I’m puzzled by your entire post. Are you unaware of the tool that is appearing at Tesla Service Centers to fix the problem?

My screen — the second screen in my S with the issue— looks great after that process was applied. Will it last forever? That, of course, is unknown.

BTW I think your belief that most S and X owners are unaware of this issue is mistaken. If you search TMC you will easily find hundreds of posts discussing it.

Reactions: liuping
Understand that Tesla has also developed a UV device that can bleach out that yellow line.

Still rolling out device to the Service Centers, and the Technicians will need to be trained on the gadget, but hopefully that can put an end to the yellow line issue.

(Rats...azred beat me to the post)

I’m puzzled by your entire post. Are you unaware of the tool that is appearing at Tesla Service Centers to fix the problem? My screen — the second screen in my S with the issue— looks great after that process was applied. Will it last forever? That, of course, is unknown.

Yes, I am aware of the likely-not-permanent UV light fix. I have been trying to get my January 2018 MS 100D fixed since December 2018. I have received all sorts of emailed excuses and no action. Based on the thousands of other posts on TMC and elsewhere, I am not alone. It sure looks like the vast majority of the people with this problem have no fix insight.

• Disagree
Yes, I am aware of the likely-not-permanent UV light fix. I have been trying to get my 2018 MS 100D fixed since December 2018. I have received all sorts of emailed excuses and no action. Based on the thousands of other posts on TMC and elsewhere, I am not alone. It sure looks like the vast majority of the people with this problem have no fix insight.
Now I am even more confused by your posts. The tool is available now though not every service center has it yet. Why are you stubbornly refusing to pursue that option? And why are you assuming the fix won’t be permanent? It is pointless to insist on a new screen. My second one yellowed as well.

But....there is a fix in sight. Either wait for the UV light fix or for the new screen to become available. Some have even taken Tesla to court to force a free screen replacement.

For most the yellow band is just a cosmetic issue. It does not block out critical information.

Kind of a first world problem for those lucky enough to drive a Tesla.

Now I am even more confused by your posts. The tool is available now though not every service center has it yet. Why are you stubbornly refusing to pursue that option? And why are you assuming the fix won’t be permanent? It is pointless to insist on a new screen. My second one yellowed as well.

Nothing confusing... I have been begging for this UV fix or any fix since December last year! Read the posts on TMC and you will find a lot of people want this fix or any fix... and the fix is not forthcoming.

I have a whole stack of emails and texts with Tesla Service Centers and managers asking for this fix or any fix. Since December 2018, I have been told to wait again and again and again. Why do you think there is a massive thread on this sight filled with people taking Tesla to arbitration? It's because Tesla is not offering a fix to most people unless you get all legal on them which I have no interest in doing. Life is too short for that.

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Last edited:
Reactions: TK16688
The Model 3 screen hasn't exhibited the issue

We also have a brand new Sept 2019 build Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. It's my wife's car. That M3 works great, not a single issue! My 2018 MS 100D which cost over twice as much, not so great. Besides the yellow screen, my MCU keeps displaying static or gibberish then locks up (requiring a reboot) and Sentry Mode keeps falling asleep on the job and not triggering. Yes, I am working with a Service Center on all of this and have been for a very long time, and no, they have not fixed these problems or the yellow screen yet. They are looking into everything but doing nothing. My guess is they are suffering from growing pains and trying to restrict cash flowing out. I love my MS 100D. I don't love how Tesla is (not) supporting it.

Reactions: trungsc156
Nothing confusing... I have been begging for this UV fix or any fix since December last year! Read the posts on TMC and you will find a lot of people want this fix or any fix... and the fix is not forthcoming.

I have a whole stack of emails and texts with Tesla Service Centers and managers asking for this fix or any fix. Since December 2018, I have been told to wait again and again and again. Why do you think there is a massive thread on this sight filled with people taking Tesla to arbitration? It's because Tesla is not offering a fix to most people unless you get all legal on them which I have no interest in doing. Life is too short for that.

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!
This is nonsense. Service Centers are getting the tool. I was sent from Tempe to Scottsdale SC since Tempe didn’t have the tool yet. (Yes, I too had to wait many months.) It was scheduled and fixed within a week last month.

I have had this issue on two screens over the past three years and it certainly has been aggravating. But Tesla now has a cure and it seems to work. Will it be permanent? It is too soon to know, obviously.

I would join your rant if it was even a couple months ago. But it makes no sense to be going off now. If the tool isn’t at your local SC, it surely will be soon.

This is nonsense. Service Centers are getting the tool. I was sent from Tempe to Scottsdale SC since Tempe didn’t have the tool yet. (Yes, I too had to wait many months.) It was scheduled and fixed within a week last month.
It may be nonsense for you, and count yourself lucky, but my service center is telling me to not hold my breath. The same thing I have been hearing since Dec last year. I live in Florida, the state with the second or third largest number of Teslas in the country next to CA and possibly NY, and to the best of my knowledge no service centers here has the UV tool and there is no ETA. I've been on the list to be healed or fixed (in some way or another) for 10 months and no fix is in sight.