Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I come bearing news on how to get your yellow screens replaced.

Its surprisingly simple. Tesla participates in a program called NCDS which is binding arbitration for Tesla but NOT for the individual. This is a remediation option prior to true binding arbitration. This means that even if you lose you can still pursue other options later but Tesla has to abide by the ruling. If you follow my points below, you should be able to get your screen replaced using this method.

I went to their website here: NCDS - Automotive Warranty Disputes and filed a claim. All I wrote was a few short sentences describing my screen and explaining that Tesla refuses to fix it. About 2 days later I received an email confirming the claim is eligible and notifying me I would be assigned an arbitrator and a date for a conference call.

I received an email and a letter via the mail a few days later confirming my arbitration date for 3 weeks away. Shortly after, I received an email with Tesla's response. Their response was quite fascinating, in that they 100% admitted the design flaw, but are trying to place it as both "wear and tear" being caused by "environmental conditions" and just a "cosmetic issue". Their response is here: Tesla Response . The interesting bits are mainly on pages 4 and 5.

Shortly after I was provided their response, I replied to my claims administrator and sent her a written response providing dates and times I spoke with individuals, with their names, contrary to Tesla's representative's claim that I never contacted them over this issue to seek a repair. I also provided both photos of the issue to show it impacts while the screen is on, and a copy of an invoice (here: Tesla Repair) showing that they previously claimed it as warranty. This was forwarded to Tesla.

On the day of the call, my husband and I joined with the arbitrator and Tesla's lawyer. The discussion was short, only 30 minutes and had a few interesting notes:

* The discussion partially focused around whether it was a design "characteristic" as opposed to "flaw"
* Tesla claimed it was an environmental issue and provided no proof thereof. The arbitrator dug into this and made it clear he was unimpressed with their claim that had no backing. The lawyer on Tesla's side claimed they had the documents but could not provide them "because of NDAs and such"
* Tesla has _not_ issued a TSB(technical service bulletin) for this issue. That was another sticking point for our arbitrator.
* Tesla's lawyer specifically called out that the flaw impacts every model S/X of that "vintage", but then stated that not every one will exhibit the problem.
* I brought up during the call that I had called the service center that morning and they claimed to have no knowledge on dates for the fix. This was in direct response to Tesla's representative claiming that the fix was actively rolling out to service centers across the country, and had been for 2 weeks.
* interesting note about refresh: Their lawyer admitted that they are now completing final details on their refresh that is around the corner, and this won't be a problem for those vehicles.

Once we ended the call, it took about a week to get the decision in my email: decision . All told, this took MAYBE 45 minutes worth of my time. I now have a mobile tech scheduled to come out next week, and notes in my account to not cancel the appointment.

I've been too busy last couple of weeks to go through, but about to this week (short work-week). Thanks for sharing.

I find it interesting that Tesla claims there is no impact on value of the car. I bet if someone took a yellow sharpie to their showroom cars, I bet they would claim there is loss of value (otherwise it would require no repairs to sell).

I also noticed the "issue the customer is concerned about has not been presented for repair". That explains why the service center flat our refused to note that I asked them to fix it when I went in for a service visit a couple of days ago - this tells me they are communicating to service centers what to do about this and the chaos the customers are experiencing is not accidental.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and neroden
It's good to see how easy this process is. I've been contemplating it for awhile.

This is a third report I've heard in the past few weeks of someone successfully using arbitration against Tesla.

If they end up with a class action, it would be fascinating to find out where their win/loss ratio on these lies.

I know a lot will comment here that the UV magic is "rolling out", but we all know how slow their rollout could be. It will take months for that to happen. This should get people much quicker resolutions to their issue. Tesla can then just refurbish these.

It's interesting that they acknowledge the "yellow band" although they minimize it as "very narrow yellow line".

It's interesting that they know the cause:

1) Temperature: As a car, it is expected to spend outdoor some times so I don't see how it can avoid temperature.

2) Humidity: Again, we live on earth, so I don't see how they can't think of humidity before design the screen. Are we living in a vacuum with no humidity? They should have provided vacuum design if they want to deal with humidity.

3) Oxygen: Again, we don't live in space so if they want to provide an oxygen free environment, they need to vacuum the screen.

What's with the claim that the band is most visible when the screen is off?

It then contradicts itself with the next sentence by pointing to the picture that "it is not as obvious as highlighted in the black screen".

I notice the yellow band when there's light on the screen such as when it's in use and it's not easily detectable when it's off unless you shine the sunlight on the black screen.

Wear and tear/Cosmetic: Early Model S and X 17" screen had bubble issue and the issue did not interfere with function or performance and most cases took years (which could be claimed as wear and tear) but Tesla has replaced them under warranty. The only cases that I heard of replacement denials were cases that were out of warranty. Thus, its claim of wear and tear and cosmetic do not hold!

Tesla's arguments are contradictory and too amateurish which might explain why Arbitrators didn't side with Tesla.

Testhrowaway - Thank you! This is precisely the info I was hoping to arm myself with. I really appreciate you sharing this with the community. You’ve laid out the process step by step, it’s on us now to get it fixed if it’s worth our time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I think getting the UV fix is like going to physical therapy, and replacing the screen is like surgery. I've got about 42 months and 38K left on my warranty, so I have time to see if the PT is a permanent fix. BTW, my car had this issue when it was delivered to me in November last year. I really don't want them tearing apart my scratch/rattle free car.
Why didn't you refuse the delivery and/or make them add it as an action item?

I actually wrote it in on the delivery sheet that I signed. I didn't know about it at that point, and the assurance was "don't worry, we can fix that." Found out later there was no fix. Turns out it really didn't matter anyway, even if I had rejected the car for one with a pristine screen, it too would have probably developed the yellow border by now.
I figure I'll give this about a month, to let them work the kinks out(don't want to be a lab rat), then contact the SC to get the UV miracle treatment done. Hopefully they'll be able to do it with mobile service.

I figure I'll give this about a month, to let them work the kinks out(don't want to be a lab rat), then contact the SC to get the UV miracle treatment done. Hopefully they'll be able to do it with mobile service.
I, for one, appreciate your more relaxed and tolerant attitude, on an issue that is really fairly minor. The intolerance of some of the attitudes, demands for immediate replacement, talks of class action lawsuits, on these "yellow border" threads are really out of proportion, in my opinion. I don't believe that Tesla is trying to cheat or screw anybody. I do believe that individual company representatives say things that are not necessarily correct, that upset people, and that the lawyer was being a lawyer and trying to find any argument or angle that would avoid consequences to his client (that's why we hire lawyers, after all). Those that insist that only a new screen will satisfy them and feel offended and enraged will encounter push-back and will see the issue as a fight--which, I guess, it what people think the Internet is for.

I, too, have the yellow border issue, and I am content to let Tesla try the new curing fix. This fix being rolled out proves that Tesla acknowledges that it is a problem and intends to do something about it. I am content to let them try it out.

I, for one, appreciate your more relaxed and tolerant attitude, on an issue that is really fairly minor. The intolerance of some of the attitudes, demands for immediate replacement, talks of class action lawsuits, on these "yellow border" threads are really out of proportion, in my opinion. I don't believe that Tesla is trying to cheat or screw anybody. I do believe that individual company representatives say things that are not necessarily correct, that upset people, and that the lawyer was being a lawyer and trying to find any argument or angle that would avoid consequences to his client (that's why we hire lawyers, after all). Those that insist that only a new screen will satisfy them and feel offended and enraged will encounter push-back and will see the issue as a fight--which, I guess, it what people think the Internet is for.

I, too, have the yellow border issue, and I am content to let Tesla try the new curing fix. This fix being rolled out proves that Tesla acknowledges that it is a problem and intends to do something about it. I am content to let them try it out.

Agreed. My car hasn't developed this yet and may take longer than the average due to the climate being generally more mild in the summer and colder in the winter (Minnesota!) but I definitely will make sure the screen is in good condition before my warranty expires. I have my doubts to the healing process, I bet it just partially reverses it but doesn't actually fix anything and it'll develop again, but we'll see.

Reactions: bonnie
This is an interesting process...
I don't currently have a problem (that I know of) but I wonder if this same process could be used for another well-documented and pricey repair:

eMMC chips failures in the MCU, especially those caused by software updates being pushed (not installed, just queued) which the owner is unable to prevent. Tesla does not replace the chip, but just replaces the entire MCU with units that have the same known defect... typically about $2500.

I don't currently have a problem (that I know of) but I wonder if this same process could be used for another well-documented and pricey repair:

eMMC chips failures in the MCU, especially those caused by software updates being pushed (not installed, just queued) which the owner is unable to prevent. Tesla does not replace the chip, but just replaces the entire MCU with units that have the same known defect... typically about $2500.

Can you use this when you're past warranty? I don't think so.

Reactions: MP3Mike

I haven't ever heard of Tesla refusing to honor the warranty when the eMMC chip fails during the warranty period...

...I do believe that individual company representatives say things that are not necessarily correct, that upset people...

Most company representatives do obey their policy.

Service Centers were originally gladly replacing the screen until the volume kept coming and then they started to refuse to replace them.

I don't think the refusal practice was done independently by some rogue employees but rather a company-wide practice with the directives from leadership.

It's also evident that lawyers would not argue the refusal if they were not hired to implement the directives from leadership.

...I don't believe that Tesla is trying to cheat or screw anybody...

Then Tesla should post a blog saying the refusals from those rogue employees and lawyers are wrong.

It's interesting that they know the cause:

1) Temperature: As a car, it is expected to spend outdoor some times so I don't see how it can avoid temperature.

2) Humidity: Again, we live on earth, so I don't see how they can't think of humidity before design the screen. Are we living in a vacuum with no humidity? They should have provided vacuum design if they want to deal with humidity.

3) Oxygen: Again, we don't live in space so if they want to provide an oxygen free environment, they need to vacuum the screen.

As suggested in other threads on this topic, I think this clearly demonstrates that they pulled a consumer screen off the shelf that was intended to operate in a much more controlled environment, where temp and humidity extremes just don't happen all that often if ever.

Also explains why the manufacturer appears to be telling Tesla to pound sand as opposed to replacing them as defective.

Tesla has limited the range of certain older cars under the guise of "safety" is to limit battery replacements under warranty. Tesla has limited the number of screen replacements under the guise of "cosmetic issue" is to limit screen replacements under warranty. I was told that squeaky fans are no longer covered under warranty even though they were replaced three times previously, under warranty, for the same reason.

Why is Tesla doing this? Simple. To boost its quarterly numbers after a devastating last 6 months. Elon is better at managing crises than he is at managing a successful, profitable company.

Tesla has limited the range of certain older cars under the guise of "safety" is to limit battery replacements under warranty. Tesla has limited the number of screen replacements under the guise of "cosmetic issue" is to limit screen replacements under warranty. I was told that squeaky fans are no longer covered under warranty even though they were replaced three times previously, under warranty, for the same reason.

Why is Tesla doing this? Simple. To boost its quarterly numbers after a devastating last 6 months. Elon is better at managing crises than he is at managing a successful, profitable company.

I would argue that this is, in fact, not good crisis management.