Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla energy order using older panels, any way to switch while keeping PW discount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started a Tesla energy order for a medium system + 3 PW a few months back. There was a substantial discount on the PWs. Currently the order is in the permitting stage - no install date yet.

When the new PW/solar setup came up a few days ago I priced out an equivalent system. While the solar panels were $1000 less, the power walls lacked the big discount and came up to be $3000 more, so a net $2000 price increase.

I asked my Tesla rep if I could swap the order to the newer panels, keeping the rest the same. She said I couldn’t. I was wondering if anybody else has faced the same situation and managed to get them to swap? I just want the newer panels, I’d be happy to keep the existing pricing (i.e. not get the $1000 panel install pricing savings), but paying an additional $2K isn’t worth it for 600 more watts.

I was 3 days from install when the new panels and pricing came out, so it was way too late to change the panels or anything in my order, but I did call Tesla about it and they offered to give me a rebate so my system more closely matches the dollars/watt pricing of the new systems. After I get my PTO Tesla will send me a check for a few thousand dollars. I don’t think it would quite be at the price of the new solar, plus the old powerwall discount, but it’s still less than I was expecting to pay, so it’s a big plus in my book and frankly Tesla wasn’t even obligated to do that since I had already signed the contracts and such at the old price.

If you call and ask for the rebate they should be able to give it to you as well, but I believe that you do need to ask for it. I don’t think it will just be automatically applied.

We don’t have room for larger panels on our roof area. If the 340s had been the same size as the 315s we are getting my husband said that would be an impressive efficiency increase, but they’re not - instead quite a bit larger in size. So much depends on your temperature, roof angle, sun’s position in the sky, and clouds and shade so I don’t think it’s a huge concern not getting the newer ones. We now have 3 PWs on order to “fill up” as well.