Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy - Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question... looking to get the Solar rental as I am not sure if I am going to be in my house for over 10 years. If I go rental and don’t use the energy during the day I understand it feeds the grid an I don’t get the credit. What happens at night? So At night I have to buy the electric from my power company or is there some sort of offset from the energy I put into the grid. Was just at Tesla and the sales guy made it sound like excess into the grid during the day you get a credit from what you spend at night. Doesn’t make sense to me unless you get a power wall which I don’t have an interest in doing.

Thanks for the help in getting me to go solar!

Quick question... looking to get the Solar rental as I am not sure if I am going to be in my house for over 10 years. If I go rental and don’t use the energy during the day I understand it feeds the grid an I don’t get the credit. What happens at night? So At night I have to buy the electric from my power company or is there some sort of offset from the energy I put into the grid. Was just at Tesla and the sales guy made it sound like excess into the grid during the day you get a credit from what you spend at night. Doesn’t make sense to me unless you get a power wall which I don’t have an interest in doing.

Thanks for the help in getting me to go solar!

Not sure about utility rules in New Jersey, but in Southern California Edison (rules are utility specific in California, and I presume around the country) there is something called Net Metering.

Looking this up:

"Net metering (also known as net energy metering or NEM) is a solar incentive that allows you to store energy in the electric grid. ... With the right size solar energy system, you can produce enough electricity to match your home's electricity use for the entire year." From How Does Net Metering Work With Solar? | EnergySage

As I understand it... It's a systems of credits and debits. So, while you're not home and your solar is generating power, excess power is sent to the grid and your utility gives you a credit (or not if they don't have this turned on in your utility) that you can offset your use when the system is NOT producing energy.