Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question, when personal leasing through Tesla finance, can you purchase the upgrades via the App or it it locked down. I know Tesla personal leasing is slightly different as they send you through the V5, but just wondered if the app they let you log into is like a partner account. Thanks

I know its not the same as Tesla finance /loan but for a reference point: I’m with Black Horse via Tesla. I have the V5 and have full app access inc. upgrades.
The useful/important information would have been whether you're on PCP/loan or not...as in that situation you actually own the car so of course you have access to the upgrades.

On a lease you don't, someone else is actually the registered owner (i.e. the lease company).

So, to the OP, no - you won't be able to purchase upgrades afterwards.

In general terms, even if you could purchase upgrades I think you'd be mad to do so! You have zero equity in the car, you're literally going to hand it back at the end and walk away so you'd be paying a huge price to use a feature for 3-4 years and have nothing to show for it at the end.

In general terms, even if you could purchase upgrades I think you'd be mad to do so! You have zero equity in the car, you're literally going to hand it back at the end and walk away so you'd be paying a huge price to use a feature for 3-4 years and have nothing to show for it at the end.

When I was looking at third party leasing costs it seemed to me that any option I added beyond the vanilla car e.g. colour/wheels/interior was paid for over the term of the lease and there was no allowance made for the improved residual value the car would have.

With a lease by definition you have nothing to show for it at the end, so it's whether you personally feel you are getting value for money for whatever it is you are buying.

I am interested in this as well as considering getting the acceleration boost when my lease car arrives. I know its not my car, but I hope to get benefit over the 4 years of the lease.

Should the question be posted on the leasing thread?

The OP asked about Tesla finance I assume they asked about the Tesla loan...which is not a lease. The other finance options are with 3rd parties which I provided a reference point for.

Since you asked so nicely:

Hire Purchase. Black Horse own my car and hire it to me. I’m the registered keeper on the V5 (which is on my possession). I have access to the upgrades.

I’d be very interested in hearing from anyone leasing who can confirm if the ‘upgrade’ option is available, or not, via the app. :)

The Jaguar, Volvo and Audi apps I’ve had in the past have always appeared to be connected to me, and have no reference to a lease company.

Admittedly the purchase options are limited to ongoing app connectivity, but it’s as straight forward as a debit card purchase with the app that’s linked to VIN number. No lease company involvement at all.

I'm on a lease - no upgrades available.

Boo :(.

I might have a word with the lease provider prior to me signing on the dotted line. Still waiting for finance approval, apparently a two week backlog, so I might have the opportunity to have the conversation about potentially including the acceleration boost somehow, not sure it will lead anywhere, but worth a call. I don’t mind paying the full cost over the two year term plus an admin charge...reluctant to pay much more than that though.

Who with?

it would be strange if Tesla Financial Services stopped you giving 1500 to tesla for a software upgrade that can be removed when the car is returned at the end of the hire period.
I'm with Zenith, so yes I suppose it's possible that a lease directly with Tesla would allow for it.

But this would be a completely different customer journey/experience than a lease with anyone else. You'd think they'd market it that way if it was possible.