Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Financial Services - Worst Customer Service Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
Tldr: TFS won’t take my money and just don’t respond in over 6 months…

Warning Essay incoming…

So I purchased my current MYP in Jan 2023 on PCP via Tesla Financial Services (TFS). The next day after collection, they carried out their massive price drops and APR drops so I told them I’ll return in my 14 day window or preferably for me, refinance the car I received. They agreed to refinance the car over the phone and via writing, great I thought.

For the first 14 days inbetween, I got people from Tesla trying to arrange collection for the car and forgetting the agreement made and I kept referring them back. After 14 days they forgot the agreement and said I’m stuck with the car is. After 6 weeks from the original agreement and chasing multiple times, I got the new updated paperwork, signed and thought all sorted. Unfortunately not…

Since signing the new paperwork they refunded me my first two monthly payments (but not the deposit). They also never took any subsequent monthly payments and still haven’t… (18 months worth). At first I just gave them some time to sort it but after a while I thought it may cause issues to my credit history etc so started to chase. After around 6 months chasing, they finally got back to me saying there was an issue with their billing system and they admitted fault and it would not impact my credit history etc … (all in writing)

So I stopped chasing and left it to them.

Due to all these issues, I have no settlement figure in my app or on my online account etc.

In Jan 2024, I was going to get a Lotus Eletre R and asked for a settlement figure. They responded within a day or so telling me to go the app or website to get the details. I instantly responded saying they did not read my first email as I don’t have that as an option..

lotus then raised their Apr rates massively so I didn’t want to continue anyway… but then in April 2024, Tesla finance responded with a settlement figure that did not align with either finance agreement I signed. They did to be fair to them say they would waive the interest payment.

I responded again instantly querying the figures and providing mine, and asking them to work this through with me ASAP.

Since April, I have chased and chased and chased no response.. every mailbox and their voicemail number (they have no direct line) but no response just we will get back to you in 10 days. I even contacted other Tesla addresses and numbers and they said they would push them and get them to call me back all which never materialised…

I raised this with the financial ombudsman back in April and they have a massive backlog so will take ages to make progress in that front. I have also this week taken on a solicitor to move things forward now as I am stuck with a car that I cannot get rid of that I do not want.

I’m at my wits end with this and have run out of options except to go through this slow legal route…

It’s more annoying as I have a Lotus Eletre R on standby next week that I want to collect with 0% finance and no deposit + discounts but I’d rather get rid of the Tesla first.. most likely I’ll have to pick up and then claim damages from Tesla later…

I know this is mostly a rant but I’ve never heard of any company, especially a finance one that requires me to right them to pay them money ffs…. If anyone has any other ideas I’m all open..

I love the cars but the customer experience (except the no hard sell sales part) is just abysmal and has put me off the brand for life after 4 Tesla’s now. At least with dealers they have no product to sell so need to at least attempt customer service to keep custom…

• Helpful
Reactions: thax1
I hear your pain on TeslaFS, but I raise you VWFS.
-ignored all references to my notifications written, telephoned and emailed that I wished to return the vehicle at end of PCP
- took a £27k balloon payment from my account without warning or request
- collected vehicle without prior arrangement, only knew via their auction agent
- posted a series on non-payment notices on my credit score
- did not answer phones, emails, letters to resolve
- attempted to do the same 12 months later suggesting that they had extended our arrangement without dialogue

Did however find in my favour and paid me hundreds in compensation, and then awarded same again 12 months later when they did the same.

I will never consider a VAG vehicle based on their association with VWFS

I can't help you with the finance issues you're having but, before you jump from the frying pan into the fire, my mate has an Eletre R and it's spent more time at the dealership than it has on his driveway. Fantastic car, but not without it's issues (well documented on their forums) and exacerbated by the fact Lotus seem to be taking a leaf out of the Tesla customer services handbook.

Good Luck!!

I can't help you with the finance issues you're having but, before you jump from the frying pan into the fire, my mate has an Eletre R and it's spent more time at the dealership than it has on his driveway. Fantastic car, but not without it's issues (well documented on their forums) and exacerbated by the fact Lotus seem to be taking a leaf out of the Tesla customer services handbook.

Good Luck!!
To be fair Tesla service has always been great with me. Lotus seems to be good so far at Bradford.

Good Luck!!
Coincidentally, just saw an Eletre parked up next to me.
Had a good nose through the window - great looking bit of kit isn’t it!
This one was all black with big wheels, window tints and tiny camera mirrors.
If it wasn’t for the comments on this forum, I’d be sorely tempted. Actually, still am!

If it wasn’t for the comments on this forum, I’d be sorely tempted. Actually, still am!
Pick up mine next week so will let you know.

Only niggles I have are minor:
  1. No inbuilt dashcam but coming.
  2. One pedal driving not quite as good as Tesla but they said they are sorting this
  3. Smaller fleet so less investment potentially available to bring new features at a good pace perhaps..

But it’s probably the best interior I’ve been in as gets for me the right balance of quality and minimalism. It’s also a bargain at the moment with the discounts and 0% finance … cheaper for a lotus eletre R which is a £140k rrp car in my spec compared to a model 3 performance..

It's a lovely bit of kit...the interior is a lovely place to sit and it's the little touches that really elevate it into the "special" category IMO. As long as you go into it with your eyes open and accept it's basically in Beta (which shouldn't be the case, but is) then I can't see you being disappointed. The finance discounts right now definitely offset some of the niggles associated with being an early adopter.

Oh and the R is properly rapid. I don't think I'd ever get used to the sheer violence of it, especially when already rolling.