Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Financing vs Self Arranged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That just depends on what it takes to get the loan through BECU (their process), and whether they need things like vin numbers first to process a loan, etc vs that $2 a month.

$2 a month is $24 a year (or a couple fast food meals), yet over 5 years thats $120. How much is $120 over 5 years worth it to you, to deal with having to negotiate getting figuring out what BECU needs to execute your deal vs it all being handled without your intervention?

Why not initiate a "per approval" with the credit union. It won't cost you anything to see what "hoops" they want you to jump.
A good banking relationship is always good to have. I've been with my credit union for 50 years, thru all types of financial issues. They didn't even blink when told them, "I want to buy a Tesla"
To a bank, you are just another account number.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Why not initiate a "per approval" with the credit union. It won't cost you anything to see what "hoops" they want you to jump.
A good banking relationship is always good to have. I've been with my credit union for 50 years, thru all types of financial issues. They didn't even blink when told them, "I want to buy a Tesla"
To a bank, you are just another account number.
And here I thought being with my CU since 2004 was a long time! They have financed my two previous used Teslas.

That just depends on what it takes to get the loan through BECU (their process), and whether they need things like vin numbers first to process a loan, etc vs that $2 a month.

$2 a month is $24 a year (or a couple fast food meals), yet over 5 years thats $120. How much is $120 over 5 years worth it to you, to deal with having to negotiate getting figuring out what BECU needs to execute your deal vs it all being handled without your intervention?
I’m sorry but it 120 is anything to you over 5 years you shouldn’t be buying a Tesla or any new car for that matter.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Cheapest quote I could find is 2.34% with BECU. Tesla would offer 2.49%. It’s like a $2 a month difference. Would the convenience of financing through Tesla (I was offered 2.49% with US Bank through Tesla) be worth it to go with the slightly bigger rate?

Never leave money on the table.

Have you looked at PenFed rates?
1.79% APR for 36 months.
1.99% for 60 months.

Shopping around not only got me a good rate but a better bank.

What Tesla offered was higher than my credit union but another credit union beat them both and, aside from the paper check hassles back in 2018, was mostly smooth sailing. After that, I looked at their other products and realized the lender offered a better dividend and bill pay system so moved all my money to the new credit union. I kept the old one open as a back up (and for a few special projects) which turned out to be advantageous when they offered a super low mortgage rate I was able to refinance into this last spring.

Suffice to say, find the sweet spot and don’t close doors you can comfortably keep open.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
US Bank didn’t approve my loan quickly enough so Tesla removed the VIN from my account.

If the Tesla online loan approval process experiences any kind of hitch, don’t expect any help. Calling US Bank was useless, they couldn’t see my loan application. Tesla doesn’t respond to texts except when they feel like it.

I can’t do 60 months, it’s too much per month for the LR AWD. 72 is much more doable.
PenFed is 2.39% for 72 months, still beats Tesla's rate, will save you a half a Starbuck per month or so.

And if there's an issue (e.g., they need documentation such as pay stubs, previous loan payoff documents, etc.), you're likely to get more help thru them than Tesla.

Walked into PenFed after work today based on info in this thread. Walked out with the 1.99 for 60. I appreciate all the info here. Now if my SA would respond to me on if the check should be made out to "Tesla" or the actual delivery location store.