Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gateway - updated to 22.26 2am 10/15/2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla gateway updated 10/15 at 2am. I only noticed it because it killed power long enough for my various UPS's to beep and complain. It also popped a circuit breaker, which was strange. Didn't notice that until the next morning. I was able to pull up the app and it showed the system pulling from the grid, even though the powerwalls were still around 70% charged. However, it was 2am, so I didn't investigate any more until the next day.

Tesla doesn't show any updates or release notes for 22.26, seems their site shows 22.18 as the latest version.

My system is relatively new, curious if this power-handling behavior is normal for updates?

My Tesla gateway updated 10/15 at 2am. I only noticed it because it killed power long enough for my various UPS's to beep and complain. It also popped a circuit breaker, which was strange. Didn't notice that until the next morning. I was able to pull up the app and it showed the system pulling from the grid, even though the powerwalls were still around 70% charged. However, it was 2am, so I didn't investigate any more until the next day.

Tesla doesn't show any updates or release notes for 22.26, seems their site shows 22.18 as the latest version.

My system is relatively new, curious if this power-handling behavior is normal for updates?
I'm on 22.26 as well. During a system update, power loss is not typical, nor is a blown breaker. Personally, I would do some checking on what items are powered by that circuit to see if it is overloaded, or if the breaker is bad.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm on 22.26 as well. During a system update, power loss is not typical, nor is a blown breaker. Personally, I would do some checking on what items are powered by that circuit to see if it is overloaded, or if the breaker is bad.

All the best,

BG
Yeah, not sure what happened with the breaker. I'm certain it wasn't overloaded, as the entire house was only using about 800 watts at 2am.

I'm not sure I'd call it a power loss, but just enough of a dip to cause my UPS's around the house to determine to switch over for a few seconds.

I was updated to 22.26.1 but my software shows -foxtrot….I’ve noticed it seems like 1 of my inverters failed in the process. But can’t be sure as it’s been raining and dense clouds here in SoCal

Attachments

• AA2A88CE-8B54-4983-9545-51AAAF36804C.jpeg
    AA2A88CE-8B54-4983-9545-51AAAF36804C.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 99
I just noticed my gateway is also on 22.26 but I can't figure out what changed. No issues with the update at our house.

With that said, circuit breakers can go bad and one sign of that is pre-mature tripping. Once you have established that there is not an over current cause for the breaker to trip you may want to replace it. It is not hard or expensive as a DIY repair if you know how to do it, otherwise I'd call an electrician. I had a breaker at our old house fail often, and in the summer with the sun on the same side as the breaker. It was not a power issue, just a bad breaker. Replaced and was fine. Recently I paid an electrician to install a 14-50 line into my panel and he used an off-brand breaker. It tripped at 32 amps and was probably ~200 F temperature. This was dangerous and installed by a licensed electrician. The breaker did was it was designed to do, it tripped at a high temperature, otherwise it could have caught fire. I replaced it with the same brand breaker as the panel, cleaned the contacts up with a green pad, and installed the new breaker and no more trips and the breaker, even at 32 amps, was just warm to the touch. Not a bad idea to do the touch test with that breaker while it has power running through it and see if it is hot. If you can't keep your finger on it, it needs to go ASAP.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I just noticed my gateway is also on 22.26 but I can't figure out what changed. No issues with the update at our house.

With that said, circuit breakers can go bad and one sign of that is pre-mature tripping. Once you have established that there is not an over current cause for the breaker to trip you may want to replace it. It is not hard or expensive as a DIY repair if you know how to do it, otherwise I'd call an electrician. I had a breaker at our old house fail often, and in the summer with the sun on the same side as the breaker. It was not a power issue, just a bad breaker. Replaced and was fine. Recently I paid an electrician to install a 14-50 line into my panel and he used an off-brand breaker. It tripped at 32 amps and was probably ~200 F temperature. This was dangerous and installed by a licensed electrician. The breaker did was it was designed to do, it tripped at a high temperature, otherwise it could have caught fire. I replaced it with the same brand breaker as the panel, cleaned the contacts up with a green pad, and installed the new breaker and no more trips and the breaker, even at 32 amps, was just warm to the touch. Not a bad idea to do the touch test with that breaker while it has power running through it and see if it is hot. If you can't keep your finger on it, it needs to go ASAP.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm in my panel pretty often, so no concerns over changing out a breaker. It happens to be the only GFI breaker in the panel, which means it is also the most expensive. :) Figures..

I do have a thermal camera, I might check that particular breaker out (and all of them while I'm at it), to see if it is hotter than the others.

GFCI breakers on a circuit that charges an EV can trip because of the when the car begins the charging process it sends some trickle voltage to check the condition of the circuit. I can't recall exactly what is happening. I think it is looking for a path to ground. You'd have to research that more. Anyway, this can trip a GFCI breaker. There is a code that states garage circuits need to have GFCI protection, normally that is on the outlet. But a 14-50 outlet does not have that built in so instead it is placed in the breaker. However, when charging an EV this can trip. I have a Tesla Wall Charger which has the GFCI protection built in so my breaker is a non-GFCI breaker.