Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Grey or Satin Black Powder Coat Wheels? (pearl white M3)

What color to powder coat wheels on Pearl White M3

• Dark Grey

Votes: 64 50.8%
  • Satin Black

Votes: 62 49.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have an upcoming appointment to powder coat my wheels and I can't decide! I like the look of the satin black rims (there's a lot of pictures online for reference). I have yet to seen anyone powder coat their wheels dark grey like the 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels that come with the model s. I'm leaning more towards dark grey just because I feel grey features the design of the wheel a little better as opposed to a monolithic look with the black... any thoughts? I have a pearl white model 3.

Black:

DSC01660-S.jpg

Grey:

D7bzD1k.jpg

He said Pearl white in the poll and title.

Have you already blacked out your trim? Not 100% sure the photo above is your car. I happen to like the silver trim as is in which case I would go with the dark gray and glossy. I've always admired the originals on the Model S. That anyway would be my preference. I also like the design pattern on the metal of the wheels on the 19inch better than the gray wheels that come with the Aero capped 18inch version.

Now if you already have blacked out the trim I think the gray/black color contast would not look that great. I would go glossy black over flat though I think. If you are spending $s to powder coat the wheels might as well showcase the wheels instead of them blending into the rubber of the wheels and looking like one big black hole from a distance. As you can tell, not my favorite look ;).

Last edited:
For white, I'd say satin black. That one picture of the white TM3 is not a good one because its all too dark to see the wheels. Is there much of a benefit with going powder coat over paint (heated)? Seems that many just do the paint job and claim just as good as powder coat. Just curious myself.

Reactions: omar
He said Pearl white in the poll and title.

Have you already blacked out your trim? Not 100% sure the photo above is your car. I happen to like the silver trim as is in which case I would go with the dark gray and glossy. I've always admired the originals on the Model S. That anyway would be my preference. I also like the design pattern on the metal of the wheels on the 19inch better than the gray wheels that come with the Aero capped 18inch version.

Now if you already have blacked out the trim I think the gray/black color contast would not look that great. I would go glossy black over flat though I think. If you are spending $s to powder coat the wheels might as well showcase the wheels instead of them blending into the rubber of the wheels and looking like one big black hole from a distance. As you can tell, not my favorite look ;).

Totally agree! Haven't blacked out the trim and if I go grey I wont. Thanks for your insight

Reactions: SMAlset
For white, I'd say satin black. That one picture of the white TM3 is not a good one because its all too dark to see the wheels. Is there much of a benefit with going powder coat over paint (heated)? Seems that many just do the paint job and claim just as good as powder coat. Just curious myself.

Not sure... luckily I'm in the bay area and I've booked an appointment at OCDetailing which deals with M3s all time. I'll make sure to ask.

Thanks for your response.

Here's a couple more pics. First pic is the closest one I have of the wheel (before I put the center cap on, fresh out of the shop). Second pic it looks more satin black in the shadows and the third pic looks more grey in the light. Taken same day. View attachment 294613

View attachment 294610 View attachment 294611

Looks awesome!

As I live in NE and will have snow tires, I'll probably go with EVT or TSportline gray turbines on my main set and keep the aeros (uncovered!) for my snow tires.

Reactions: omar