Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hiring "ADAS Test Operators" to test AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Saw this on Elektrek. Tesla has posted job descriptions for "ADAS Test Operators" based in Austin, TX to test AP:

Screen-Shot-2020-06-16-at-12.49.23-PM.jpg

Tesla is looking to hire Autopilot test drivers in Austin - Electrek

Interesting that it mentions "predetermined route". It sounds like Tesla wants to test for very specific behaviors. This job description sounds a lot like the safety drivers that Cruise or Waymo employ, folks who can test specific routes and specific behaviors and provide direct reports to Tesla to improve AP. This could be a good sign that Tesla is getting closer to "feature complete" since they need testers.

But I do find it interesting that the position refers to "driver assist test operators" and not "autonomous test operators". I feel like this is a way to get around having to report any autonomous miles.

I don't support skirting regulation around reporting disengagements, but at this point do regulators do anything with this data other than publish it?

I know Waymo and Cruise don't support the collection of disengagement data because it's not very meaningful by itself.

I don't support skirting regulations either. I think Tesla should comply. Waymo and Cruise may not like the reporting of disengagements but they still comply with it.

Presumably, the regulators use the data to make sure that companies are not deploying their AVs on public roads in an unsafe way. What if a company that does not have good FSD, just decided to start a taxi service and started deploying unproven robotaxis with no driver and taking money from customers? That would be big safety issue. So I think the report just aims to prevent that by creating some accountability.

I don't support skirting regulation around reporting disengagements, but at this point do regulators do anything with this data other than publish it?

I know Waymo and Cruise don't support the collection of disengagement data because it's not very meaningful by itself.

Is there a reporting regulation in Texas? I know there's one in California, but if the job/driving is based outside of California, I don't know if it applies.

Is there a reporting regulation in Texas? I know there's one in California, but if the job/driving is based outside of California, I don't know if it applies.

Most recent article I can find: Texas Wants To Put More Autonomous Vehicles On The Road

"The state has allowed autonomous vehicles to test and even drive on Texas roads and rights of way since 2017, when lawmakers passed a bill requiring the vehicles to follow the rules of the road, have video-monitoring capability and have insurance."

I don't see any reporting requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd