Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Tennessee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be moving to TN from NJ for a job.

Can anyone clue me into Tesla ownership in TN and pointers?

for example, i believe there is $100.00 ev registration. Electricity is otherwise inexpensive. If i were to buy another tesla, i should do it before moving to TN because sales tax is high?

any insight would be much appreciated.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I don't know what the exact details are now, but different states can have different ways of taxing vehicles. Sales tax isn't the only way. So maybe the Sales Tax is waived, but the registration fee is high. Maybe there is ad valorem on the car, maybe luxury tax.
When I moved from TN to GA many years ago, everyone talked about how cheap tags were, $18! I think that TN was $25, so I'm asking myself so what, how cheap are these people. Then I found out about this other fee that was hundreds of dollars.
So always look out for ALL of the associated ownership fees.
I'd dare say that total "tax" in TN is less than NJ. Sure, it's an obnoxious 10% sales tax, but what about the others.

I may be moving to TN from NJ for a job.

Can anyone clue me into Tesla ownership in TN and pointers?

for example, i believe there is $100.00 ev registration. Electricity is otherwise inexpensive. If i were to buy another tesla, i should do it before moving to TN because sales tax is high?

any insight would be much appreciated.

I live in Knoxville, TN and I didn’t pay an extra $100 registration fee. That’s ridiculous.

Sales Tax varies with locality, but the 9.75% I paid is typical... and yes there is an annual $100 ev fee (effective July '17) in addition to the normal registration renewal fee of $26.50. On the other hand, TN doesn't have a value-based annual tax.

No income taxes in TN, so higher sales taxes. And no luxury taxes of any type. Car sales tax is complicated, it varies by city and county. But you don't pay 9.5% on the total, you pay it on a certain percent and then it drops on the next percent. IIRC it ends up working out to 7% effective, if you buy in Brentwood.

If NJ still zeros out sales taxes on EVs, buy it in NJ. If NJ charges sales taxes, then do whichever is easier. The $100 fairly makes up for what you would be paying in gasoline tax if you drove a 20 mpg car. So don't sweat it.