Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Infotainment Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this is a basic question. I have ordered a 2023 model Y and have read that it does not have Apple CarPlay. How does the Tesla Infotainment work? I like to mostly listen to podcasts while driving and current car has Apple CarPlay for the podcasts app. Thank you.

I have a 2017 S75D and a 2022 Kia. The Kia has Apple Car Play, the Tesla does not. I can listen to podcasts in the Tesla and I don’t miss the Apple Car Play when I drive the Tesla. We use Car Play in the Kia mostly for Google Maps, it’s better than the Kia map interface. The Tesla maps/navigation package is excellent so I don’t miss the Google Maps in the Tesla. Car Play is a little fiddly in that the USB cable needs to be attached the the phone each time we want to use it. The Tesla, just get in and go. The interface for the Podcasts is different but it seems just as useable to me. I usually listen to music but do use the Podcasts sometimes. Back to your question, not a worryl

You just connect via Bluetooth and use whatever podcast app on your phone you want to use. The bluetooth functionality on my MY is very good (much better than my Ford with SYNC). My only complaint is a slight delay between pushing a button to skip/pause and it actually happening (about a second or so), but otherwise it's great.

Personally I like the Overcast app on my iPhone, but anything will work, including Apple's default Podcast app. For music I switched to Tidal because of the high quality streaming (Spotify isn't great and Apple Music is even worse), and because they have higher artist payouts, and other than not having a Shuffle function in the car (WTF?) I have no issues with Tidal and I actually really like the mixes that it creates for you.

Reactions: Captain78