Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie owner - apple and contacts advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just bought my first tesla (second hand) and am trying to setup the vehicle but need assistance. Is a december2022 Y LR

I have not got the app yet as i need the document proof to set myself up (hopefully next week)

Contacts - i am missing a quarter of my phone contacts after bluetooth setup. Have tried reconnecting but not improved. Followed one forum thread but still didnt work

Apple - i have music playlists but i dont subscribe to apple music. Under bluetooth it shows me the current playlist but i am unable to see the others. Very strange.
I normally use apple carplay but assume it does not work here

Am hoping when i have the app these will get sorted but any advice appreciated

I have just bought my first tesla (second hand) and am trying to setup the vehicle but need assistance. Is a december2022 Y LR

I have not got the app yet as i need the document proof to set myself up (hopefully next week)

Contacts - i am missing a quarter of my phone contacts after bluetooth setup. Have tried reconnecting but not improved. Followed one forum thread but still didnt work

Apple - i have music playlists but i dont subscribe to apple music. Under bluetooth it shows me the current playlist but i am unable to see the others. Very strange.
I normally use apple carplay but assume it does not work here

Am hoping when i have the app these will get sorted but any advice appreciated
Your contacts may take little while to sync.. eventually you will have all the contacts showing in your car.

Apple Music: I think you need premium subscription of Apple Music to see all of your playlists (I could be wrong) similar to Spotify.

By the way, congratulations on your first Tesla!!

Your contacts may take little while to sync.. eventually you will have all the contacts showing in your car.

Apple Music: I think you need premium subscription of Apple Music to see all of your playlists (I could be wrong) similar to Spotify.

By the way, congratulations on your first Tesla!!
thanks and all very exciting.......once i get the app the premium subcription will be added. fingers crossed

Apple Music requires a subscription, without which you won’t be able to use Tesla’s Apple Music app. If you stream music from your phone you get limited controls on the car touchscreen, anything else has to be done on your phone.
with Apple carplay, it is like seeing my phone on a car screen and i can access my music library saved on my phone inlcuding playlists. i am hoping with the premium subscription is can do this as i don't want to subscribe to apple music aswell.

with Apple carplay, it is like seeing my phone on a car screen and i can access my music library saved on my phone inlcuding playlists. i am hoping with the premium subscription is can do this as i don't want to subscribe to apple music aswell.
It doesn’t work that way. Teslas don’t support Apple CarPlay. Even if they did, you wouldn’t get Apple Music on your phone either if you don’t subscribe, so it doesn’t really make a difference.

It doesn’t work that way. Teslas don’t support Apple CarPlay. Even if they did, you wouldn’t get Apple Music on your phone either if you don’t subscribe, so it doesn’t really make a difference.
so are you saying to access my music that i have already paid for i have to pay apple again for apple music? if so that is harsh when considering every other vehicle i have owned have been fine

so are you saying to access my music that i have already paid for i have to pay apple again for apple music? if so that is harsh when considering every other vehicle i have owned have been fine
If you want to use Apple Music app installed on Tesla the. You have to have paid Apple Music subscription. If you want to play songs on your phone and use car’s Bluetooth to listen then it’s free!!

Reactions: woodentom

If you want to use Apple Music app installed on Tesla the. You have to have paid Apple Music subscription. If you want to play songs on your phone and use car’s Bluetooth to listen then it’s free!!

It's exactly like Ritu_o0o said. The Apple Music app in the Tesla is strictly for those who subscribe to Apple Music. If you don't subscribe, then the Apple Music app in the Tesla won't work for you. It's not any sort of extortion or bad faith behavior by Tesla or Apple. There's a Netflix app in the Tesla too - you can't use this unless you subscribe to Netflix!

You can still play any of the songs in your iPhone's music library via Bluetooth, just like in any other car with Bluetooth. It's just that Tesla doesn't offer you an expansive interface (like CarPlay) to manage playback of the music on your iPhone via the car's controls and will only show you the current playlist.

If it makes you feel any better, I subscribe to Apple Music and use it a lot in my Tesla but the interface isn't particularly great. I have a ton of playlists with a lot of songs and for some reason, not all of my songs queue up and it just starts playing random songs not in my playlist after about 15 songs in. Very frustrating!

If it makes you feel any better, I subscribe to Apple Music and use it a lot in my Tesla but the interface isn't particularly great. I have a ton of playlists with a lot of songs and for some reason, not all of my songs queue up and it just starts playing random songs not in my playlist after about 15 songs in. Very frustrating!
There are a few issues with playlists that I know of.

First, long playlists are not displayed in their entirety in the car, I think the UI shows maybe 100 songs at a time. In that case, if you shuffle songs, the Apple Music app will only shuffle among the 100 songs that are currently visible. This was reported by someone else here in the forum. I don't know if the problem exists if you play the songs sequentially.

Second, as noted above, sometimes the Apple Music app will be playing a playlist and then start playing other things inspired by that playlist. When that happens, the app has created a station form the playlist (called <playlist name> Station) and is playing that instead of the original playlist. That used to happen regularly in my experience, but it rarely happens now.

Last, I always shuffle playlists when I play them, but when you leave the car and then return, it starts playing sequentially instead (even though the UI shows that shuffle is still enabled).

You can still play any of the songs in your iPhone's music library via Bluetooth, just like in any other car with Bluetooth. It's just that Tesla doesn't offer you an expansive interface (like CarPlay) to manage playback of the music on your iPhone via the car's controls and will only show you the current playlist.
+1. I have over 2500 songs and dozens of playlists on my iPhone, and I’m completely satisfied playing whatever I want using Bluetooth as described above directly from my iPhone. No need to subscribe to Apple Music for me.

Since the Eagles were mentioned in the news last evening, when I got into my Y this morning I just pressed down the right scroll button and said "Play Hotel California" and it and many other songs played.
When the dog is in my Y, I press down the right scroll button again and say "play Hound Dog by Big Mama Thorton and it begins playing.

Attachments

• Shaggy IMG_9582.JPG
    Shaggy IMG_9582.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 11