Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is implementing my wish list..yay!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to note that one of the new improvement to make charging more efficient was suggested by me way back in August 2018!!

Eh? What you asked for:

"An option to prepare or warm up the battery/car before start of a journey when it is plugged to the Wall charger."

What Tesla are providing:

"When entering a Supercharger station in your navigation system, the vehicle’s software will “intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge.

Either that's not the same ... or I'm missing something?

What you want already exists to an extent - if battery sufficiently cold, and charging, battery heater comes on to pre-heat battery. I charge battery for an hour before departure, in Winter, to take advantage of that - i.e. I charge to 10% less than amount needed as normal, and then that additional 10% an hour prior to departure.

I agree it would make sense to be able to deliberately put the battery heater on before departure, to allow full regen on departure, or sooner after departure, but I haven't read anything that indicates they have done that

Under cold conditions, using climate control to warm the cabin before departure automaticllay turns on the batter heater. This was implemented in software 2018.50. So indeed you could be right about them taking your suggestion back then.

The new innovation for M3 is to precondition the battery at the right moment based on navigating to a supercharger.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Eh? What you asked for:

"An option to prepare or warm up the battery/car before start of a journey when it is plugged to the Wall charger."

What Tesla are providing:

"When entering a Supercharger station in your navigation system, the vehicle’s software will “intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge.

Either that's not the same ... or I'm missing something?

What you want already exists to an extent - if battery sufficiently cold, and charging, battery heater comes on to pre-heat battery. I charge battery for an hour before departure, in Winter, to take advantage of that - i.e. I charge to 10% less than amount needed as normal, and then that additional 10% an hour prior to departure.

I agree it would make sense to be able to deliberately put the battery heater on before departure, to allow full regen on departure, or sooner after departure, but I haven't read anything that indicates they have done that

Agree it is not the same thing but the idea was to precondition the battery temperature to maximise efficiency.

sing climate control to warm the cabin before departure automaticllay turns on the batter heater. This was implemented in software 2018.50

Thanks, I've not seen that mentioned.

However, I haven't seen it happen either ... I've checked TeslaFi data for all cold nights that I could find since I got 2018.50, Coldest was 3.5C. Car charged from midnight, Climate came on (scheduled) at 05:40 ready for departure 10 minutes or so later, battery heater didn't come on during any of that time.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding as I thought this feature was only activated once you put a destination into SatNav that routed you via Supercharger.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'd actually prefer it to be more aggressive, so that I don't have the dashed lines when I drive off

Me too. Not having full regen typically catches me out for at the end of the drive!! Seems so obvious [as a feature] that I wonder if there is a negative - battery life or somesuch?

Supposedly on P-Model you can use Max Power to pre-heat the battery to achieve that, but its not possible from APP / API (that I know of) and I'm not getting up an hour earlier to turn it on to check :)