Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just refunded me $500 for ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked mytesla account (as I do everyday while awaiting my lovely car.) and noticed a change in the amount due. Before this, I owed $148 for the remaining taxes or whatever that I assumed I would pay upon delivery. It now shows Tesla owes me as they have given me a $500 referral credit. The thing is, I don't know anyone buying a Tesla and so have not given my referral link out. Can anyone explain this?

It’s a price adjustment. Tesla increased the price of the Model 3 by $500 a few weeks ago. This accidentally impacted the orders made before the price increase. I received a $750 referral credit on my Model 3 order. I opted for the color black, which had a $250 price increase as well.

It’s a price adjustment. Tesla increased the price of the Model 3 by $500 a few weeks ago. This accidentally impacted the orders made before the price increase. I received a $750 referral credit on my Model 3 order. I opted for the color black, which had a $250 price increase as well.
This would make sense if I overpaid and they lowered the cost, but the opposite being true doesn't compute. Do you mean they, at some point,
Oh ok, makes sense, thanks.

I just checked mytesla account (as I do everyday while awaiting my lovely car.) and noticed a change in the amount due. Before this, I owed $148 for the remaining taxes or whatever that I assumed I would pay upon delivery. It now shows Tesla owes me as they have given me a $500 referral credit. The thing is, I don't know anyone buying a Tesla and so have not given my referral link out. Can anyone explain this?

According to your story, you are "waiting for your lovely car". If thats the case, it sounds like you havent paid for it yet, so you CANT be "refunded" for something you have not paid for yet.

It sounds like you are asking why they have put a credit on your account of $500, which isnt the same thing as a refund. I mention this because "Refund" is a specific word which means return of monies paid, and the thread title is a bit misleading because tesla has not refunded you anything.

In any case, its likely to do with the price increase as people said. There isnt any $500 referral credit that I have heard of.

Plenty of people have to pay for a Tesla before taking possession--for instance, every buyer in Texas.

True, if the OP has already paid, then it IS a refund.

EDIT:

Reading this OPs post again, I believe I might owe this OP an apology. The OP states that they were waiting for their car (presumably shipping to OPs location which appears to be hawaii). OP also says that instead of owing $148, tesla owes OP $500. This means OP has actually paid for it, and it is a refund as opposed to what I said in my other post.

<-- Needs to read closer before posting.

OP Please accept my apology for the earlier post which I now believe was in error.

Reactions: Dr. J and JenniferH