Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla key fob not recognized?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a key fob from Tesla to supplant my 2 key cards for my Tesla model 3 performance. Approximately 50% of the time when I get in the car after unlocking it with the fob the display says tap card on console like I was using my key card. The only workaround I’ve been able to come up with is to then lock and unlock the car with the fob, then every thing works as it should. The fob always works when used and the car seems to have no problem with the fob. Suggestions??

• Helpful
Reactions: Imafrog
I recently purchased a key fob from Tesla to supplant my 2 key cards for my Tesla model 3 performance. Approximately 50% of the time when I get in the car after unlocking it with the fob the display says tap card on console like I was using my key card. The only workaround I’ve been able to come up with is to then lock and unlock the car with the fob, then every thing works as it should. The fob always works when used and the car seems to have no problem with the fob. Suggestions??

If it's like the key card, if you unlock the car and drive away within 2 minutes (I believe), you won't need to tap the card. If it's longer than 2 minutes after getting in the car, you'll need to tap to drive.

I have 2 key cards and they work like they are supposed to. I purchased the key fob so I can open the frunk, trunk, lock and unlock the car as I walk up to it. The weirdness is that about 50% of the time when I unlock the car with the fob and get in the message displayed on the screen asks me to tap the card on the console like I had unlocked the car with the card instead of the fob. It’s like the fob that just unlocked the door doesn’t exist anymore?? If I lock and unlock the car with the fob then I can drive away as normal. I’m thinking the car associates a hierarchy with the fob and it is last. If you read this post and have a fob and things work normally please respond by saying that things work fine for you? Not the end of the world by any means but it is annoying.

I have 2 key cards and they work like they are supposed to. I purchased the key fob so I can open the frunk, trunk, lock and unlock the car as I walk up to it. The weirdness is that about 50% of the time when I unlock the car with the fob and get in the message displayed on the screen asks me to tap the card on the console like I had unlocked the car with the card instead of the fob. It’s like the fob that just unlocked the door doesn’t exist anymore?? If I lock and unlock the car with the fob then I can drive away as normal. I’m thinking the car associates a hierarchy with the fob and it is last. If you read this post and have a fob and things work normally please respond by saying that things work fine for you? Not the end of the world by any means but it is annoying.

The fob works normally for me when I use it, which is very very infrequently. I bought it as a backup in case I had phone as key issues (and to open frunk and trunk without phone), and carry it around daily along with my wifes car key... but almost never use it.

The few times I have used it, it worked, but not sure that helps you because you said yours works 50% so...