Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble with Model 3 fobs - only 1 can be active?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought 2 fobs from Tesla store - both are brand new and say "Tesla" on bottom. Activated both batteries, then registered both fobs in my newly bought (from Hertz) M3 2022 LR AWD using the "Locks" screen. Btw, regular key I got from hertz works fine.
BUT, am unable to use/activate both fobs - idea was I have one fob and wife has one fob - so we need to constantly hand a fob over to the other.
Only one fob says active on the car's lock settings screen and works when I press the top of it. The other fob icon does not say active, and does not open/close M3.
Not sure how this works - if other fob is not active, how can my wife use it? do you need to walk away from the car for a while to enable my wife's fob?

I don’t have 2 fobs to test. I have 1 fob paired to 2 Teslas. As you noted, fob can only connect to one Tesla at a time. To switch, I touch the fob to the b pillar or center console of the other Tesla and press any button on fob. It seems the car “remembers” the recently connected fob only. Keep in mind that fob also works passively like key card via NFC.

Bought 2 fobs from Tesla store - both are brand new and say "Tesla" on bottom. Activated both batteries, then registered both fobs in my newly bought (from Hertz) M3 2022 LR AWD using the "Locks" screen. Btw, regular key I got from hertz works fine.
BUT, am unable to use/activate both fobs - idea was I have one fob and wife has one fob - so we need to constantly hand a fob over to the other.
Only one fob says active on the car's lock settings screen and works when I press the top of it. The other fob icon does not say active, and does not open/close M3.
Not sure how this works - if other fob is not active, how can my wife use it? do you need to walk away from the car for a while to enable my wife's fob?
I activated 2 key fobs for my Dad's Model Y. The car will set the profile to the first key it sees. My Dad and Mom have seperate profiles tied to their keys. I also activaterd my Model 3 key fob on their Y. Please note that the active flag I think means it sees that keyfob first and is the one that it sees as the current active key for driving as far as I know. Both keys should be able to unlock and lock the doors.

Reactions: E90alex
Many thanks to all for the kind replies. Could be wrong but it seems the fact that Hertz hadn't released the car to me (via Tesla) meant their original card key was "seen", as well as 1 fob (active), but the second fob was not. After Hertz released the car and I completed the ownership transfer steps - viola! the 2nd fob suddenly became active, and the Hertz card key turned OFF.
Fobs are great and all, but actually I am finding the phone app is working better for my use style. But they sure are cute!

Reactions: E90alex