Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla mobile charger vs non-Tesla charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently rented an EV while my MYLR is in the shop, and I picked up a charger off Craiglist so I can charge from home.
I like that it has a 28' cord, so I can charge when the wife parks the car nose-in, so I was thinking about switching to this instead of my Tesla charger from now on.
Are there any concerns with daily charging via a third-party charger?

1719523737436.png

Like maybe the 3rd party charger makes the battery hotter or uses a different flavor of electrons or something.
Those are hilarious, but no.

I'm just wondering if the OEM Tesla Mobile Charge provides better/safer charging.
They won't do anything different for the car, but sometimes cheaper ones don't have as many protections for keeping themselves operating safely. For instance, the Tesla one does have a temperature sensor in the head of the plug that is pressed up against the outlet. If it detects the outlet is getting really hot, it will stop and send a signal to the car of an overheat condition, where the car will display that as an error message. So the Tesla cord does have some nice protective safety sensing methods that cheaper ones usually would not have to help if something goes wrong. But if everything is operating normally, nah, not really any difference.

Reactions: Michael Y
I see that unit charges up to 16 amps. Depending upon the type of connection you were using with your Mobile Connector (e.g., NEMA 14-30 or 14-50), you might be seeing significantly longer charge times, as the Tesla unit can charge at up to 32 amps.
I have a 20amp circuit, and usually charge at 18amps. So 16amps is not that bad for me.

Mostly just want to make sure there's no potential harm from using non-Tesla equipment.

I have a 20amp circuit, and usually charge at 18amps. So 16amps is not that bad for me.

Mostly just want to make sure there's no potential harm from using non-Tesla equipment.
FYI, you should only be charging at 16A on a 20A circuit, that’s the maximum rating for a continuous load like EV charging.

Is it a 120V circuit or 240V?

Reactions: Acps110