Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since New Zealand model info 3 is getting lost in the massive Tesla model 3 in Australia thread

Here's my story
been a long time Tesla fan
Waiting for model 3 since it was revealed
Boring people to death with tails of Telsa tech
Didn't put my reservation money were my mouth was
Figured by the time the M3 got to NZ there wouldn't be much waiting
production would be in full swing, logistics sorted etc

Ordered 03/06/19
Website August delivery (hah... nope)
Found hidden VIN 5/09/19
Call from Tesla Delivery appointment 27/9
invoice received 12/09/19
VIN 4619xx unchanged from hidden VIN
build date 13/08/2019

I remember watching the Model 3 annoucement in 2016, and thinking 'man I want one', but I was living overseas and didn't know when I would be back in NZ. After a few months I decided I would head back to NZ, so I reserved my Model 3. In the 3 years since reservation I have thought about cancelling my order a number of times, thought about just buying a Nissan Leaf for 1/3 of the price, or a BMW i3. I even test drove a Hyundai Kona Electric and was seriously considering getting one. I finally, have my Model 3 delivery scheduled for 30th Sept. So glad, I waited it out!

Thanks for starting our own NZ thread.

I remember watching the Model 3 annoucement in 2016, and thinking 'man I want one', but I was living overseas and didn't know when I would be back in NZ. After a few months I decided I would head back to NZ, so I reserved my Model 3. In the 3 years since reservation I have thought about cancelling my order a number of times, thought about just buying a Nissan Leaf for 1/3 of the price, or a BMW i3. I even test drove a Hyundai Kona Electric and was seriously considering getting one. I finally, have my Model 3 delivery scheduled for 30th Sept. So glad, I waited it out!

Thanks for starting our own NZ thread.
Well I had the thought I could buy a fleet of Leafs, Leaves, a Tree (whatever a load of leafs are called) for the cost of model 3 .
Would I be happy...no, would I be excited ...no, would I be able have ghost car at my command ...no.

Naturally I made the only sensible choice

I saw the launch and expected to have a choice of several 500km range awd evs by now for 100k or so.

Turns out that was optimistic...

No hardship buying the 3 but reality says the Y would be a better fit.

Test drove the kona and had several issues with it but top of the list was its ride, not that pleasant

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Exciting, just 5 days to go now! Is your delivery date the earliest one posted so far on TMC? I assume there will be multiple cars delivered on that day. I look forward to hearing about your experience!
Yes! exciting things are heating up in NZ

There have been some earlier deliveries in August I think mostly reservation holders . These have been buried in the Tesla Model 3 in Australia Thread.
They would have been the first RHD deliveries to owners for Australasia/Oceania I would think as the Ships arrive in NZ a few weeks before Au.

A bit like our other claim to fame, the first model 3 outside of the USA
in the NZ Auckland Tesla store LHD, a while before before Au got theirs.
It was replaced by one of the cars shipped in July part of the first RHD deliveries
The first cars to arrive in July were used as demo/press cars

Reactions: Fossil Fool
I’ll just take the chance to remind people that Rowena and I are tracking NZ registrations here NZ Model 3 Registrations

If you see an M3 that we don’t have please let us know (you can comment on the file or send me a message). We particularly often miss private plates so those would be awesome.

We also do a daily (ok normally much more often than daily because Rowena hasn’t got her car yet!) check of VINs that people have sent us to see if a plate has been allocated. If you’d like you VIN added to that check please just send it through. We keep the VIN private until it is on the motor vehicle register and even then the sheet doesn’t associate it with you.