Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 RWD 2023 - Audio Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone upgraded their audio on their 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD? I've seen many people recommending Hansshow. How easy is it to install? Did anything change for the 2023 models? Is there any shops within the UK that offers an audio upgrade service?

Many thanks

@Arthur Cheung It has been documented/talked about here: Hansshow premium audio upgrade for 2023 M3SR I did it for my 2023 model, and it went through pretty well. Took about two hours because I was pretty careful about doing it. The best analogy for how it sounds/improvement is... before you upgrade it sounds like just two speakers in front of you facing straight ahead. After the upgrade, it sounds like the speakers are a little further apart and a little higher up. Helps with the stereo separation I guess is the best way to describe it.

Has anyone upgraded their audio on their 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD? I've seen many people recommending Hansshow. How easy is it to install? Did anything change for the 2023 models? Is there any shops within the UK that offers an audio upgrade service?

Many thanks
The RWD is definitely a decent platform for upgrades. I’m sure a kit would make a decent upgrade. Depending on your budget and desire, there are some healthy gains attainable if you piece it together.

The hardest individual step in my upgrade would have been taking the car apart enough to install the hansshow diy speaker activation harness, to which I made a few modifications .

Attachments

• DFECC185-FA65-4E35-A606-86A4F9D4A5C9.jpeg
    DFECC185-FA65-4E35-A606-86A4F9D4A5C9.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 511
  • F2CB0F85-80A8-4A1F-A9B1-AC8E6E203047.jpeg
    F2CB0F85-80A8-4A1F-A9B1-AC8E6E203047.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 308
  • D5C43DBF-3B2E-40C1-84CA-B7FBD663AFB8.jpeg
    D5C43DBF-3B2E-40C1-84CA-B7FBD663AFB8.jpeg
    682.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 72E3BCC8-5ED6-4892-B154-B99A8B3F08BB.jpeg
    72E3BCC8-5ED6-4892-B154-B99A8B3F08BB.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 300
  • CCC4AE4F-424C-4B44-817C-6871156131B4.jpeg
    CCC4AE4F-424C-4B44-817C-6871156131B4.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 30705531-2D99-4D92-9CE7-0D04825FB5F4.jpeg
    30705531-2D99-4D92-9CE7-0D04825FB5F4.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 5DC63C95-DC8D-4158-A3B3-A953F9C33869.jpeg
    5DC63C95-DC8D-4158-A3B3-A953F9C33869.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 276
  • 732B566F-9313-4BCA-AE1C-1EAA40DC5D03.jpeg
    732B566F-9313-4BCA-AE1C-1EAA40DC5D03.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 290
  • F181E556-ED5A-40FE-B9A7-E44733111C92.jpeg
    F181E556-ED5A-40FE-B9A7-E44733111C92.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 319
Has anyone installed the basic wiring harness to activate the 4 extra speakers? The kit I received appears to be for lhd cars? The new harness is supposed to be only one side of wiring but I can't figure out if it's the drivers side or passenger side. I took the panels off on the passenger side and it looked different than the video on YouTube (but that was a lhd).

Many thanks
No, it’s a car. A big steel box is not a good place to get a decent sound. The stock sound system is adequate for listening to entertainment while I drive home so I can really listen to music on a sound system in a balanced room.

The RWD is definitely a decent platform for upgrades. I’m sure a kit would make a decent upgrade. Depending on your budget and desire, there are some healthy gains attainable if you piece it together.

The hardest individual step in my upgrade would have been taking the car apart enough to install the hansshow diy speaker activation harness, to which I made a few modifications .
Did you just tap in to the penthouse to get power to the amp? I suppose you have the RWD with the AMD Ryzen?

I been reading your post over the last couple of days and it may have slipped past me..

I'll be adding the OEM sub and the Alpine KTP-445U

The modification of the hansshow harness seems easy enough it's just the damn power that i keep seeing conflicting answers to. 12V, 16V, penthouse, not penthouse...

Did you just tap in to the penthouse to get power to the amp? I suppose you have the RWD with the AMD Ryzen?

I been reading your post over the last couple of days and it may have slipped past me..

I'll be adding the OEM sub and the Alpine KTP-445U

The modification of the hansshow harness seems easy enough it's just the damn power that i keep seeing conflicting answers to. 12V, 16V, penthouse, not penthouse...
You are correct, I have a '23 RWD/AMD.

The biggest thing to consider is an amp that's rated to (and ideally beyond) 16V DC on the input. I'm sure there is a limit on the amount of current that can be drawn from the penthouse low-voltage terminal before errors or other issues occur. I haven't had issues yet using a very efficient 500w amp (Kicker Key 500.1 at 1ohm) I used a generic Crutchfield 8awg amp kit. The power cable is very short compared to a normal car, and the ground cable is incredibly short if using the factory amp ground next to the sub.

Hope that helps, the hardest part of the installation is removing trim panels without breaking any clips. Good luck, it's definitely worthwhile!

The biggest thing to consider is an amp that's rated to (and ideally beyond) 16V DC on the input. I'm sure there is a limit on the amount of current that can be drawn from the penthouse low-voltage terminal before errors or other issues occur. I haven't had issues yet using a very efficient 500w amp (Kicker Key 500.1 at 1ohm) I used a generic Crutchfield 8awg amp kit. The power cable is very short compared to a normal car, and the ground cable is incredibly short if using the factory amp ground next to the sub.

Hope that helps, the hardest part of the installation is removing trim panels without breaking any clips. Good luck, it's definitely worthwhile!
Thank you for the clarifaction, this helps a lot! :)

How are you liking the Kicker sub? Did you end up trying out any other subs?

How are you liking the Kicker sub? Did you end up trying out any other subs?
The sub is good, I'd like to try an Image Dynamics IDQ-8 V.4 D2 but I've been too busy to proceed with that yet. I also have a JL 10" that would work in the enclosure so I may see if I can print an adapter to fit a 10" woofer in the stock 8" enclosure, not sure if it's possible yet.

Reactions: Zangief1977

did you modify the harness to add the sub? if so is there any way you can provide a tutorial? im trying to add a sub to the harness and would like to use both left and right signals from the harness. thanks

@RWAudio how are you finding the frequency balance with your set up? With the Alpine DP series its incredibly detailed but probably overly bright and fatiguing, I’m looking at the tweeters as the culprits. Turning the highs down with the EQ is ok for almost everything but phone calls seems to bypass the EQ and sound terrible.

I notice you had a look at the Hansshow kit crossovers, did you make any alterations to them? I’m thinking of making an L-pad to knock the tweeters down about 5 db. But curious if there are any other solutions.

I just discovered your posts in this thread which were very enlightening:

I wonder if your resistors were wired incorrectly as I have the same Hansshow harness and can hardly hear the upper pillar speakers.

I'll experiment with disconnecting the tweeters and see how that affects the phone call experience. Its so subjective between highly detailed and fatiguingly bright, I found myself putting the treble back up a 1-2 dB this morning which made a song come to life a bit more. Decreasing the tweeters compared to adjusting the EQ would be interesting as the high frequencies would still go to the dash speakers so maybe reduce the harshness but not the overall clarity perhaps.

I've been doing some pink noise tests with an external mic and there's a bit of a spike around 8 kHz which would be good to tune out.

@RWAudio how are you finding the frequency balance with your set up? With the Alpine DP series its incredibly detailed but probably overly bright and fatiguing, I’m looking at the tweeters as the culprits. Turning the highs down with the EQ is ok for almost everything but phone calls seems to bypass the EQ and sound terrible.

I notice you had a look at the Hansshow kit crossovers, did you make any alterations to them? I’m thinking of making an L-pad to knock the tweeters down about 5 db. But curious if there are any other solutions.
At the moment I have the focal IS200 set installed, and I can't say I'm fond of the focal tweeter it's also a bit bright with certain music. I like their utopia stuff, but I'm not so fond of lower-tier focal.
I hope to switch back to the Hertz set when I get a chance, maybe even just the tweeter for comparison. As for the L-pad, that shouldn't be too hard, and shy of disconnecting the tweeter (RWD cars don't have tweeters hooked up) that's about your only option. I may try disconnecting tweeters as an interim step before I swap in the Hertz tweeters.

I’ve gone back to the Tesla tweeters and they sound pretty good with the other upgraded speakers. They’re soft dome, looks like your Hertz are too so I’ll look for a soft dome as a replacement I think. They say that metal dome tweeters are great for piercing through a lot of background noise and I don’t think we have need for that in our cars!

Some tweeter sets come with crossovers with attenuating switches, but I wonder if there’d be negative effects of putting this after the Hansshow crossover. So maybe the long term solution would be cutting that out.