Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snoltor

May 16, 2013
Davis, CA
Terrific review and summary. Thank you for that.

I am curious as to why one would not always do a 100% charge. I am awaiting to receive my dual motor long range in November and my experience is centered around my current 2018 Volt.
It’s not good for the longevity of the cells to be at full voltage/100% SOC for long periods of time. The 2018 Volt has a large buffer: When it reports full charge it’s actually only at about 75% SOC in terms of total capacity - About 14 kWh is usable of the 18+ kWh total in the pack. The Model 3 has a much smaller buffer. In my 2018 after the update there was 78.2 kWh usable of about 80.5 kWh in the pack. So a 100% charge is actually ~97%. Compared to the Volt, a full charge in the 3 gets the cells much closer to full voltage. If you need that extra range use it, otherwise you can set the SOC at 90% on “Trip”, or whatever works for you. I keep mine at 60% for day to day driving.

Soul Surfer

Sep 4, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It’s not good for the longevity of the cells to be at full voltage/100% SOC for long periods of time. The 2018 Volt has a large buffer: When it reports full charge it’s actually only at about 75% SOC in terms of total capacity - About 14 kWh is usable of the 18+ kWh total in the pack. The Model 3 has a much smaller buffer. In my 2018 after the update there was 78.2 kWh usable of about 80.5 kWh in the pack. So a 100% charge is actually ~97%. Compared to the Volt, a full charge in the 3 gets the cells much closer to full voltage. If you need that extra range use it, otherwise you can set the SOC at 90% on “Trip”, or whatever works for you. I keep mine at 60% for day to day driving.
Thank you for that. would you please tell me th acronym for SOC? I will also make sure to set my charge levels when I receive mine.

WhiteWi

Supporting Member
Feb 21, 2021
Somewhere in Universe
Terrific review and summary. Thank you for that.

I am curious as to why one would not always do a 100% charge. I am awaiting to receive my dual motor long range in November and my experience is centered around my current 2018 Volt.
In short bad for you battery longevity, on the road trips 80-100 takes as much if not more time as 10%-80% charge.
P.S.
SOC = state of charge

Reactions: Soul Surfer

Brentt

Apr 11, 2015
Tulsa, Okla.
Just over 100k Miles on our 2018 Model3 LR.
95% of charging is done at home to 80%-90%. Normally 90% in winter, and 80% in summer.
Current range is 250 miles @ 90% and 280 miles @ 100%.
The biggest range drops have been at about 50k and 100k.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC